Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    The difference? Reverence for the character's histories and the overall tone
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2016

The difference? Reverence for the character's histories and the overall tone

Characters’ histories = fan expectations. Overall tone is part of execution of the storytelling. But my original question was, which is the bigger reason, or was it pretty evenly split for you?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Tone

Thanks. Anyone else?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Healthy mix of both.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I have been watching an episode every few nights before bed (as I would a regular network show) and was doing just fine with one-at-a-time viewing, no binge-watching. Then I got to the end of episode 8...

'Yes, Netflix, please go ahead and play episode 9, immediately.'

Even though the appearance of this character was spoiled for me, I was drawn in. Episode 9 was the best so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLloXQzBZ6M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I find it interesting that Daredevil gets praised at least in part for being dark and grim and for its violence (people can't stop talking about the hallway fight for instance), while Batman V. Superman gets panned at least in part for being dark and grim and for its violence (people can't stop talking about how many people Batman kills). I have yet to watch either, as I don't particularly want a lot of dark and grim in my entertainment, especially when it comes to entertainment involving heroes in spiffy costumes. And I'm someone who got sick of the Bendis/Brubaker run on Daredevil because of its unrelenting bleakness. It's not that I'm opposed to dark and grim superhero stories, but I do need to see a ray of hope and sunlight on occasion.

So my question is, does the praise/criticism come more from fans' expectations for these particular characters, or more from the execution of these particular stories? I'm sure it's a mix, and each viewer’s mileage will vary, but overall, which is the dominant reason for the difference in how these two projects are perceived?

This is merely speculation as I have not seen BvS:DoJ, but I think part of the criticism involves thrusting Kent into the grim, gloomy, dark world. I think if BvS:DoJ had Kent similar to Cap, the criticism would be greatly reduced.

To some extent, Batman & Matt are similar characters, so "that world" works for them.

M
  • Options
    crash41crash41 Posts: 27
    S2: Ep11-13

I have some concerns about the Elektra/Black Sky plot points...

First of all, I thought the Black Sky was supposed to be rare, yet the Hand was able to find 2 in the space of a single generation? Really?

Second, if the Hand's could use the Black Sky either alive or dead, and their grand scheme was to place the Black Sky in that cauldron, why couldn't they use the kid that Stick killed in S1 instead of trying to track down Elektra??