Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comic Book Grading Tutorial Video

Learn to grade comics the Comic Geek Speak way! Avid comics collector Brian "Pants" Christman and pro retailer Chris Eberle (WildPig Comics, Kenilworth, NJ) are on hand to introduce you to the inexact science of examining and evaluating old and new comics, with emphasis on the subtle differences between grades and the key defects that define those differences. Includes sample gradings of a big pile of comics, done on camera right before your eyes! Who needs CGC when you have CGS??

https://youtu.be/LzreVUyzhCE

Comments

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    About half through this delightful video so far and really enjoying it. I'm not a huge grading chap. Like Pants I'm usually just interested in filling gaps in my collection with lower grade comics. And because I usually listen to CGS on the move I haven't caught up with many of the video episodes.

However, I would certainly be on board for an occasional series of these videos exploring more of that fabled treasure trove of comic gems, the Pants collection!

I know that the collection itself is somewhat disorganised and awaits the glorious day when the extended CGS crew break through into the "Edgar Pants Church collection".

Those who have glimpsed it have been asked what they saw and just reply with those famous words: "Yes, wonderful things!"
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Hey, thanks for that guys! Very interesting. I enjoyed Pants choices of what comics to be used as examples.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Very well done, thanks guys!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    40 minutes in, this is great guys.

Next video cast I expect to be from @Pants house sorting out his mountains of comics!!!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thank you gentleman.
    luke52 said:

40 minutes in, this is great guys.

Next video cast I expect to be from @Pants house sorting out his mountains of comics!!!

That might actually be a better SERIES of videos from what I've heard from @pants on the show.

• I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the artists signature on the book effects value or grading. I have a reader copy of Green Lantern Green Arrow #85 and I had thought about getting it signed by Neal Adam's who is coming to a local convention but I didn't know if negatively impacted the condition of the book if there wasn't some kind of way to prove it is the Artists signature.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the artists signature on the book effects value or grading. I have a reader copy of Green Lantern Green Arrow #85 and I had thought about getting it signed by Neal Adam's who is coming to a local convention but I didn't know if negatively impacted the condition of the book if there wasn't some kind of way to prove it is the Artists signature.

If it’s a reader copy, it probably isn’t going to make much of a difference. And, really, it depends on the buyer as to whether a signature is a plus or a negative, though I think it's most often considered a negative these days, certified or not, particularly on the big-ticket books.

My personal view is don't get anything signed with the sole purpose of reselling that item. It's kind of rude, and most artists don't take kindly to it. I don’t mean to sound preachy, and I'm not singling you out because I don't know your intentions, but if you want to get something signed, I’d suggest doing it is because you want the creator’s signature on a particular item because it is special to you. That, for me, is where the true value lies.
  • DarthDelRioDarthDelRio Posts: 18
    edited June 2016
    @nweathington Thanks for the reply, I currently have no plans at all to sell the book, I love the cover and think it's neat to have in my collection. I will probably go ahead and ask him to sign it just for my own personal enjoyment.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

@nweathington Thanks for the reply, I currently have no plans at all to sell the book, I love the cover and think it's neat to have in my collection. I will probably go ahead and ask him to sign it just for my own personal enjoyment.

That’s cool. Fair warning, his signature doesn’t come cheap. But it will make a nice display piece.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Great video. I learned a lot more on top of what little I knew about grading. I did have one request maybe you guys could follow up on either on the show or another video.

@wildpigcomics @Pants How about selling and buying on ebay of graded comics? Peter and Deemer did a ebay episode back in the day so I am wondering about selling a comic on ebay. Should you not really indicate a grade and let your photos help the potential buyer determine what they think the grade should be? I believe that's what those guys said. On ebay you are allowed to use 12 photos for an item. That should cover the cover and the back, close-ups, and maybe not all pages but the best pages and the worst pages. I wouldn't want someone to get mad that I sold what I thought was one grade and the buyer believes otherwise.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Some great insight to how CGC grades can be found here in another video resource.

CGC Insider a new series on BC.