Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1606 Talkback - Previews Etc.

A Previews episode with a difference! First a Free Comic Book Day 2016 recap and a dip into the CGS Mailbag; THEN the monthly catalog breakdown (May edition, for items shipping starting in July) you've come to know and love. (1:53:26)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    About 2/3 of the way through his one.

I literally laughed out loud when I heard what Julie Benson got Pants.

Shane, Pants ... I own the Mighty Heroes series on DVD. :-)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I had a Six Million Dollar Man action figure too. They don't make them like that anymore. I also had a Six Million Dollar Man board game, which was Battleship-esque in that each player had to make a circuit on a board, and then each would call out numbers in “hit or miss” fashion to figure out the other player’s circuit path. Don't have either one anymore though. And as much as I loved the TV show as a kid, I can’t say I'm all that interested in the comic. I'm much more interested in the new Adventure Time anthology, which is going to have some excellent creators coming through.

But Betty and Veronica is the big one this month for me. I kept waiting for Shane to jump in and talk about Adam Hughes’ run on Justice League, which was probably Adam’s last run on a monthly ongoing.

Re: the Art of Jim Davis book, I wonder how much of the art in the book will actually be by his many assistants/ghost artists? Sorry, I couldn’t resist.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    As for new titles I am trying out this month, I've ordered the Six Million Dollar Man: Fall of Man, I enjoyed Dynamite's Season 6 series with Col Steve Austin back in 2014. I've also heard so many good reviews about it, that I've decided to pick up the Superman Lois And Clark TP (which is NOT in the 'late' DC Previews, but is available for pre-order now on DCBS). I'm also ordering the resolicited Black Hammer from Lemire and Ormstrom.

Speaking of resolicts, I've re-ordered Mechanism #1 from Rafael Ienco (which was originally solicited by Heavy Metal a year ago, then cancelled without comment). Other new-to-me titles on my order this month are Captain Victory & Galactic Rangers TP, Conan the Slayer #1, Captain Kid #1, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1, Betty & Veronica #1, and Adventure Time Comics #1.

Everything else is something I've been picking up, so I won't mention those here. I'm on the fence about that Machine Man collection. I have all the issues in floppies, but I've thought about double-dipping. Still have time to get that in if I want. Always loved that character.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Other new-to-me titles on my order this month are Captain Victory & Galactic Rangers TP, Conan the Slayer #1, Captain Kid #1, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1, Betty & Veronica #1, and Adventure Time Comics #1.

I read the Captain Victory series in single issues, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Though it might not look like it on the surface, the story stays very true to the spirit of Kirby. I think you’ll enjoy it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I never knew there was a Saved By The Bell comic either. I watched the show growing up, I admit it, but I grew out of it as I got older. Not my wife though. MeTV reruns the stupid thing on the weekends and she now has my kids watching it. Uuggghhh......
  • Options

Other new-to-me titles on my order this month are Captain Victory & Galactic Rangers TP, Conan the Slayer #1, Captain Kid #1, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1, Betty & Veronica #1, and Adventure Time Comics #1.

I read the Captain Victory series in single issues, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Though it might not look like it on the surface, the story stays very true to the spirit of Kirby. I think you’ll enjoy it.
    Oh good. Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks @nweathington
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    edited May 2016
    Excited for Conan the Slayer. Van Lente's run on the previous Conan the Avenger book has not quite connected for me. It has avoided some of the big characterization issues that I had with Brian Wood's take, but it's still been lacking some of the grand drama I like in a good Conan comic yarn (and Wood, despite the issues I mentioned, did offer a lot of that drama).

It's the right time for a new Conan scribe, and I really like a lot of Cullen Bunn's work, especially his creator-owned The Sixth Gun series, which is wrapping up after an awesome 50 issue run. Based on all the cool mythology, action, twists and characters he built in The Sixth Gun, I can see him being a great fit.

I have not seen the art for "Slayer", but hey- if it looks like Big John, I'll be a very happy camper!

Don't want to seem unsatisfied with the podcast or the many AWESOME Spotlight episodes by suggesting another one, since I know they take tons of work to prepare for. However, I would LOVE to hear @wildpigcomics eventually tackle a spotlight on the big Cimmerian.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

I would LOVE to hear @wildpigcomics eventually tackle a spotlight on the big Cimmerian.

Agree 1000 x
  • Options
    JaceTheComicSourceJaceTheComicSource Posts: 140
    edited May 2016
    Another fun filled episode. Going to have to listen again while filling out my DCBS order though. Between Chris leaving early, the cartoon talk in the middle (which I loved) and my own starting and stopping of the episode to do various things. I am worried I may have missed some recommendations. It as great to hear from Deemer though, not sure if I agree with him wanting the books at 3.99. I understand at 2.99 twice a month it is more than 3.99 once a month, but it is twice the story for less than twice the price. Plus not every book is twice a month. Also I doubt they will keep up the twice a month. I imagine it will be scaled back at some point or they will burn out their creators. I also was shocked to hear he doesn't even listen to the show he started. Wasn't it not so long ago he said he was planning on being back on the show more often? What gives Deemer? :disappointed:
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, what a fun-filled episode that was! You got presents! You got Previews! You got Deemer! Good call on Betty and Veronica. I saw that DCBS added Jughead #1 again so I'm going to pick that one up, too.
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156

I had a Six Million Dollar Man action figure too. They don't make them like that anymore. I also had a Six Million Dollar Man board game, which was Battleship-esque in that each player had to make a circuit on a board, and then each would call out numbers in “hit or miss” fashion to figure out the other player’s circuit path. Don't have either one anymore though. And as much as I loved the TV show as a kid, I can’t say I'm all that interested in the comic. I'm much more interested in the new Adventure Time anthology, which is going to have some excellent creators coming through.

But Betty and Veronica is the big one this month for me. I kept waiting for Shane to jump in and talk about Adam Hughes’ run on Justice League, which was probably Adam’s last run on a monthly ongoing.

Re: the Art of Jim Davis book, I wonder how much of the art in the book will actually be by his many assistants/ghost artists? Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

I do love his run on JL. :smile: I have a great print Pants picked up for me a SDCC one time.. Just-Us-League with Fire and Ice from Adam Hughes. It is awesome!
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156

About 2/3 of the way through his one.

I literally laughed out loud when I heard what Julie Benson got Pants.

Shane, Pants ... I own the Mighty Heroes series on DVD. :-)

Nice! :smile: