Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Suicide Squad - The Movie *Now with spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2016

David_D said:

it could also totally be the sort of thing I talk myself into seeing to just go get some air conditioning if I can make the time.

David, do you need an air conditioner?
    Well. There's air conditioning, and there's movie theater AC. We live in a building built around 1910. We have fans and air conditioners when we really need it. But it's not the kind of over the top central air you get while watching terrible August movies.

I think what makes a good August movie is when something knows what it is. I feel like there is no pretensions to a movie like Suicide Squad. It looks like a modern drive in feature. Like it knows it is a B movie. We'll see.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Matt said:

Am I alone in being lukewarm for this movie? The trailers used thus far were interesting, but after seeing a TV spot, I found the "intetesting" occurred mostly from the music used.

I haven't really seen a string of scenes they've gotten me jazzed. Don't get me wrong, I'll Netflix this & hope its successful, but I'm just not feeling it.

M

You mean there's actually people looking forward to it?

huh...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    fredzilla said:

Matt said:

Am I alone in being lukewarm for this movie? The trailers used thus far were interesting, but after seeing a TV spot, I found the "intetesting" occurred mostly from the music used.

I haven't really seen a string of scenes they've gotten me jazzed. Don't get me wrong, I'll Netflix this & hope its successful, but I'm just not feeling it.

M

huh...
    I think the same people who are convinced this will make a $1 billion dollars box office...or the whole DCEU is a failure!

M
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Matt said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M

huh...
    I think the same people who are convinced this will make a $1 billion dollars box office...or the whole DCEU is a failure!

M
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's extremely unlikely it will make a billion worldwide. I imagine it will make between a half billion to three quarters. Supposedly tickets will go on sale early next week, but I'll be camping then. I doubt I'll use data or free public wifi to buy my tickets then, but rather wait til I get back. I don't expect the first IMAX 3D showing on premiere night to sell out until the day before... based on three recent other movies that I tracked, Star Wars, BvS, and Civil War.
  • Options

Matt said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M

huh...

M
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's extremely unlikely it will make a billion worldwide. I imagine it will make between a half billion to three quarters. Supposedly tickets will go on sale early next week, but I'll be camping then. I doubt I'll use data or free public wifi to buy my tickets then, but rather wait til I get back. I don't expect the first IMAX 3D showing on premiere night to sell out until the day before... based on three recent other movies that I tracked, Star Wars, BvS, and Civil War.
    I'm predicting it'll fall between MoS & BvS. Not $1 billion, but still successful.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M

huh...

M
    I'm predicting it'll fall between MoS & BvS. Not $1 billion, but still successful.

M
    I also think it will be successful, but I would guess it will be well below both MoS and BvS. And that is not because of what people expect the quality of it to be, but because there is just now the awareness of draw of a movie that is not a Superman or Batman movie. And I doubt that WB made it even expecting to do even MoS numbers.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I think this movie is going to underperform.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M

huh...

M
    I'm looking forward to it and I have no preconceived notions of how much it will or should make. I want to see stuff blow up on screen.

I think that far too much credence is given to armchair quarterbacks and speculators.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    My Dad's excited for this movie. I imagine I'll see it in the theaters with him.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Matt said:

fredzilla said:

Matt said:

M

huh...

M
    I'm looking forward to it and I have no preconceived notions of how much it will or should make. I want to see stuff blow up on screen.

I think that far too much credence is given to armchair quarterbacks and speculators.
    I agree. That's why those QBs seem to get more empowered daily.

M
  • Options
    I predict this film will under-perform
  • Options

IF that's the case, what's the spin by hardo DC fanboys?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

IF that's the case, what's the spin by hardo DC fanboys?

M
    August release? Reshoots? Disney paying for bad reviews? I have no idea.
  • Options
    I'm hoping they pull "the genre is slowing down" out of mothballs.

M
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2016
    DC spokesman: We took a risk by scheduling Suicide Squad against the family comedy blockbuster "Nine Lives" which split the same audience. We firmly believe that our next film, "Wonder Woman" will show the true strength of our brand and continue the streak of strong DC cinematic universe offerings.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Still thinking this'll be awful or awesome. Personally the biggest hurdle and ? to overcome for me is will smith. Although I'm more a fan of his than not, he just doesn't fit here. He stands out like a sore thumb to me. Maybe because every other person in it is a either a complete or virtual unknown to me? But still feels like stunt casting.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I have my tickets for opening night, Thursday August 4th. 6 of us in our group going to see it.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I'm ordering my tickets for Saturday and seeing how the wife and The Girl will be joining me and the Boy I think it might do well.
  • Options
    This Friday...

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Several of my friends locally got passes to see an advanced screening (and didn't call their ol' pal Torchsong I might add! :) ). They loved it. To quote one of them "When did DC start making Marvel movies?"

I trust their opinion more than I do a Rotten Tomato aggregator or a Box Office dollar amount. Gonna be a long way to Friday...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Several of my friends locally got passes to see an advanced screening (and didn't call their ol' pal Torchsong I might add! :) ). They loved it. To quote one of them "When did DC start making Marvel movies?"

I trust their opinion more than I do a Rotten Tomato aggregator or a Box Office dollar amount. Gonna be a long way to Friday...

Ha, if true, I can't wait to see how the hardo DC fanboys are going to respond. I've already seen some complaining about the tone of Justice League.

• Options
    Hey, I'm one of those hardo DC fanboys! :) If I *wanted* to, I could give you a laundry list of things to find fault with. Harley's too slutty, why is Will Smith playing Deadshot, where the hell is Nightshade, Captain Boomerang's too buff, the Enchantress was never that creepy, why isn't Amanda fat anymore...blah blah blah (hand jerking motion)...

...or I can go (hopefully) enjoy a movie about some bad guys who get roped into doing good work and enjoy an interpretation of a book I really enjoyed reading back in the day.

I am kinda bummed Nightshade isn't in it, though. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Hey, I'm one of those hardo DC fanboys! :) If I *wanted* to, I could give you a laundry list of things to find fault with. Harley's too slutty, why is Will Smith playing Deadshot, where the hell is Nightshade, Captain Boomerang's too buff, the Enchantress was never that creepy, why isn't Amanda fat anymore...blah blah blah (hand jerking motion)...

...or I can go (hopefully) enjoy a movie about some bad guys who get roped into doing good work and enjoy an interpretation of a book I really enjoyed reading back in the day.

"Hardo DC fanboys" are those that can only find fault with Marvel & see them as a cheap imitation who doesn't deserve to occupy the same area as DC.

You've never given me the impression of being one of those.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

As a lifelong Slipknot fan, I am excited to see the really big role he has in this.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    David_D said:

As a lifelong Slipknot fan, I am excited to see the really big role he has in this.

Slipknot4Life!

Wait... who’s Slipknot again?
  • Options
    Matt said:

"Hardo DC fanboys" are those that can only find fault with Marvel & see them as a cheap imitation who doesn't deserve to occupy the same area as DC.

You've never given me the impression of being one of those.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. And you're right, I have a space on my bookshelf for books from pretty much any company that wants to make a good one.