Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Wonder Woman | Movie News

imageEverything that BvS:DoJ was not...

release date: June 02, 2017

Director: Patty Jenkins
Written by Allan Heinberg, Geoff Johns

Cast: Chris Pine, Connie Nielsen, Danny Huston, David Thewlis, Elena Anaya, Gal Gadot, Lisa Loven Kongsli, Lucy Davis, Mayling Ng, Robin Wright

“’Wonder Woman’ hits movie theaters around the world next summer when Gal Gadot returns as the title character in the epic action adventure from director Patty Jenkins. Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when an American pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop the threat. Fighting alongside man in a war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers…and her true destiny.

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    This is probably the DCEU movie I return to the theatre for. I'm looking forward to seeing Diana.

Side bar: I read tweets, posts, & buzz that MCU "copied" the movie idea of hero v. hero after BvS was announced. Conversely, isn't the marketing of Suicide Squad in the vein of GotG? Is it a coincidence DC's star-spangled garbed character is set in the past; specifically during a world war?!

M
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

This is probably the DCEU movie I return to the theatre for. I'm looking forward to seeing Diana.

Side bar: I read tweets, posts, & buzz that MCU "copied" the movie idea of hero v. hero after BvS was announced. Conversely, isn't the marketing of Suicide Squad in the vein of GotG? Is it a coincidence DC's star-spangled garbed character is set in the past; specifically during a world war?!

M

There are no new ideas. If something works, it's going to get used to death.

Why perpetuate the Marvel vs DC / Marvel/DC copied DC/Marvel line?

Who benefits?
    hauberk said:

Matt said:

M

Who benefits?
    I benefit. I prove its not a one-sided trend as some hardo fanboys what you to believe.

Who doesn't like being proven accurate?!

M
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

hauberk said:

Matt said:

M

Who benefits?
    I benefit. I prove its not a one-sided trend as some hardo fanboys what you to believe.

Who doesn't like being proven accurate?!

M
    Sounds like you need to be more selective in the tweets/posts/buzz that you're reading. After all, you could make a case that the classic rock music being used in any of them is really something that was inspired by the helicopter insertion in Predator (and any number of other things before that). Much as one could argue that the GotG were a rip off of the Legion.

It's the perfect perpetual motion machine. Circular and unstoppable.
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    A beautiful teaser poster. Greatly looking forward to this movie. The cinematic DCU could really use a shot of mythic, elevated storytelling. Enough of the dreary, claustrophobic feel of the Nolan/Snyder years.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGoQhFb4NM

THE LAST CHARACTER TO APPEAR IN THIS TRAILER!!!
    I'm really looking forward to this.

M
    Extremely fired up to see this movie. They've got it exactly right as far as I'm concerned.
    edited July 2016
    The WWI setting is inspired...especially in the wake of Marvel's first Captain America movie being set in WWII (well, a wonky alternate version of WWII, that is). In fact, the trappings of Diana's world (swords, armor, gods, etc) seems to thematically line up better with the early 20th century...which in many ways still reflected the earlier Victorian era and its remnants of a more primitive form of warfare. This may be the sleeper hit DC/WB has been dreaming of.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    So far, so good with the Wonder Woman movie. This is DC's chance to succeed in the cinematic universe.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    1:13. Oh god yes.
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I've read very few WW comics over the years. Is there a precedent for placing Diana in World War I, rather than in WW2? I think it's an inspired choice to explore the first world war but I wondered if the filmmakers are the first to do this.
    RickM said:

I've read very few WW comics over the years. Is there a precedent for placing Diana in World War I, rather than in WW2? I think it's an inspired choice to explore the first world war but I wondered if the filmmakers are the first to do this.

This is a first, I think. I also think that a WW2 setting would've invited too many "Captain America" comparisons. Besides, why would the Amazons not get involved in the First World War before the Second one? It wouldn't make sense.

RickM said:

This is a first, I think. I also think that a WW2 setting would've invited too many "Captain America" comparisons. Besides, why would the Amazons not get involved in the First World War before the Second one? It wouldn't make sense.
    I was thinking the same. There'd be stuff about Cap & Diana running into each other.

M
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I liked the trailer quite a bit.
  • What?!? A trailer that actually gets me excited about a DCEU movie?
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

What?!? A trailer that actually gets me excited about a DCEU movie?

This has to mean there are a lot of reshoots coming soon. :smile:
    Oh no. Looks like this week's target of the Twitter hate mobs Is Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot.

What is it this time? Misogyny? Racism? Trump supporters? Bernie or Bust? BLM? Frustrated Ghostbusters man-bros? Hard to say.

If you click the link above you'll see some dumb stuff to be sure, but apparently it stems from Gadot’s mandatory military service, where she spent two years in the Israeli Defense Force. Mandatory for ALL able-bodied Israeli citizens. Gadot has been very supportive of the Israeli military since her service and has been criticized frequently for it. Now with her breaking out in a major film starring a world renowned feminine hero, the attacks have only ramped up.

Apparently if you ever fought against Palestenians, and you don't denounce your native homeland, then you're evil and your movies should all be boycotted and you generally suck at life.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Oh for Gods sake.
    edited July 2016
    Ok. Obviously Gadot has to go.

What is plan B?

Do we keep it traditional and white wash this with an American white woman?
    Do we go uber progressive with casting a man in the role AND keep Chris Pine as Steve Trevor?
    Is Lynda Carter available? Cathy Lee Crosby?

If progressive is out, how to we keep something so bland to not offend anyone but exciting enough to make hundreds of millions of dollars?

Making movies is hard work.

Matt said:

RickM said:

I was thinking the same. There'd be stuff about Cap & Diana running into each other.

M
    Also with the WWI setting, when the Justice Leage movie or Wonder Woman sequal comes out placing Diana in modern times, you really do not need to explain Steve Trevor at all. His character would probably have been dead for around 30 to 50 years even if he lived to old age.
    Like the TV show, it will probably be a son or grandson of Trevor.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    ...this movie looks outstanding. I'm so excited for this and it's possible I might have a crush on Gail Gadot.
    Torchsong said:

Remember a few years back when everyone kept saying they "didn't know how to market" a Wonder Woman movie?

Yeah...they figgered it out... :)

Yeah, first, introduce her in a ponderous, dark, gritty, ugly movie and then have her go solo in a bright, hopeful, upbeat film.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Actually, that's one of the things I hope they stick with. Her costume is very bright and colorful in this movie set in an earlier time...the years were not kind.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Torchsong said:

...the years were not kind.

Yeah, she looked like she really let herself go in BvS ;-p

Not much new here. Extended television spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goyA-ygColY
  • TV commercial 10 months out? Seems unusual.