Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1232 Talkback: Spotlight on Marvel in the 2000's Part Two

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited May 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Our look at Marvel in the 2000's continues as we cover the years 2002-2004. (2:08:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The years I got back into comics! Should be a fun listen.
  • bustybusty Posts: 104
    Now that's what im talking about. :)
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Waid & Wieringo's FF was my favorite book for a good long while, even the Doctor Doom story which I thought was really clever - Doom embracing sorcery over science, challenging Reed to beat him on that level and actually giving him the tools to do it. Good stuff. And I definitely agree that we lost 'Ringo way too soon. I still remember how awful I felt when I read about his passing.

I mostly skipped the Marvel Knights Captain America book, but I did come back toward the end for the two-parter story where he traveled to a parallel earth to team-up with the Isaiah Washington Cap, and then the concluding 4-parter by Kirkman, in which Kirkman was acting as a Mark Gruenwald tribute band. The good Gruenwald, though... Serpent Society and stuff, not Cap Wolf.
  • Will_TWOTHWill_TWOTH Posts: 54
    In the beginning as soon as one of you said "back in time" I started singing the Back to the future song, then Jamie sang it... is it slightly odd that I literally cheered?
  • UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    Marvel Knights 4 #1 was my first Marvel comic. The Steve McNiven artwork sold me, specifically the way he drew Sue's hair. Once I read it (which wasn't right away. It sat on a shelf for a few weeks, as if in reverence, before I finally cracked it open,) I loved the very down-to-Earth problem Aguirre-Sacasa gave the FF. It really made the story relate-able for me, and served as a perfect introduction to the Marvel Universe and superhero comics in general.
  • THE CALL was being adapted into a video game, at a company a friend was working at. He was working on animating Cap and other characters, and was completely stoked about it. I guess as the sales dropped, it got cancelled.
    So miss 'the house of ideas'.
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited May 2012
    Jamie D.'s next line of work should be observational comedian of things he sees in life that is really funny. Pants can be the guy that provides the laugh track. Chuck Austen should be renamed Chuck Awful & Kevin Smith is the check is the mail writer of comics LITERALLY... one to two years later you get the script.

Thanks for the episode. Enjoy the mini hiatus.

Matthew
    I liked Jamie's thought that the U-Decide promotion seemed more like something out of wrestling than comics, because I've often thought that the Jemas/Quesada-era desperately wanted to be 60s Marvel but more often-ended up like Attitude-era 90s WWF... a mix of big hits and "what the hell were they thinking?" moments. Que/mas really, really, really wanted to be Stan Lee, and probably would've settled for being Vince McMahon, but the best they could ever really manage was Vince Russo.
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Re: Chuck Austen's X-Men

The best thing about Chuck Austen's run on the X-Men was that you get ludicrousness like this. Nightcrawler's father was trapped in another dimension and wanted to return to earth. I quite frankly don't completely remember how it was that he planned to break the barriers to get back to earth. I know it had something to do with poison communion wafers that would get the Catholic church to disintegrate so that they would think the rapture had happened even though the Catholic church doesn't believe in the rapture (Chuck Austen apparently had a hard on for Christianity and liked to attack it even though he usually didn't know what he was talking about). But whatever his plan was, it involved him setting something up on Earth - by sneaking over here and setting it up. So he came to earth to set up his plan that would allow him to come to earth since he couldn't come to earth. It reminded me of a 3 Stooges bit where they're trying to figure out how to break into this house. And Curly disappeared for a bit and comes back with a key and says "hey, how about we use this?" and Moe is surprised Curly was actually useful and he says "that's perfect, where'd you get it?" and Curly answers "It was on a table inside, the window was open."

Re: NYX/X-23.

I heard you refer to X-23 as Wolverine's daughter. She's not Wolverine's daughter. She's Wolverine's clone. So she really is just Wolverine with (underage) boobs.

(and I know any sane person is wondering the same question. Apparently, "they" tried to clone Wolverine a few times and it wasn't working and eventually they realized that what it was that was preventing the clones from surviving was in the Y chromosome so they removed it. Hence, a female clone of Wolverine.)
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Infinity Abyss

Murd, skip it. It will do nothing but break your little cosmic heart.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Can't seem to edit from iPhone, anyways...

Chuck Austen is the worst comic writer I have ever read. His Avengers run surpasses his horrible X-Men run.

U-Decide was stupid but it got me back into comics. The relaunched Captain Marvel was the first book I had bought in almost 10 years. From there I started buying new issues and raiding back issue bins again. So, I don't hate the whole U-Decide stunt as much as some do.
  • wordballoonwordballoon Posts: 87
    edited May 2012
    Why did MAX books like Alias and SUPREME POWER become Marvel Knights booksLike THE PULSE and SP? Because the sales as MAX series didn't justify the expense of the talent making these books.

According to Marvel, lots of Comic stores that cater to younger audiences didn't carry the MAX books at all.

NUFF SAID silent issues were not inspired by the GI JOE Snake eyes silent issue, because that 80's JOE issue was also inspired by Steranko's Nick Fury Silent story sequence in the debut of SHIELD #1 1968
    I don't understand the gripes some of the guys made about 2003's glut of new series that Marvel put out. They were experimenting, which is a good thing. Great stuff like Sean McKeever's Inhumans, and Sentinel came out of that experimentation.

How many times have we heard you guys complain that "new ideas" don't come from The Big 2?
  • MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Re: Chuck Austen's X-Men

T

Re: NYX/X-23.

I heard you refer to X-23 as Wolverine's daughter. She's not Wolverine's daughter. She's Wolverine's clone. So she really is just Wolverine with (underage) boobs.

(and I know any sane person is wondering the same question. Apparently, "they" tried to clone Wolverine a few times and it wasn't working and eventually they realized that what it was that was preventing the clones from surviving was in the Y chromosome so they removed it. Hence, a female clone of Wolverine.)
    we all know she is a clone. I was referring to how she was promoted when this issue came out.
    I don't understand the gripes some of the guys made about 2003's glut of new series that Marvel put out. They were experimenting, which is a good thing. Great stuff like Sean McKeever's Inhumans, and Sentinel came out of that experimentation.

How many times have we heard you guys complain that "new ideas" don't come from The Big 2?
    Speaking for myself, I wasn't complaining about the new ideas. I do normally complain about more than 4 first issues in one month. And I complain about either company being trendy rather than setting trends. Business decision or not, the big two are supposed to be better than that.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    Fun times strolling down memory lane...thanks guys for this episode and all the other like them. I always enjoy these recaps different eras in comics.

Now if you wanna sound like all the other shows that recap different time periods you need to start the show with a recap that was happening in real life....."The year was 2000, The price of gas was a 1.30, Gladiator was the hit of the box office and The Supreme Court made George Bush President" :))
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Blade 3 made a LOT more than $15 million: $52,411,906 according to Box Office Mojo.
    edited May 2012
    Blade 3 made a LOT more than $15 million: $52,411,906 according to Box Office Mojo.
    Imdb fail
    It's still miserable
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    I was already planning an AfterM*A*S*H post when Jamie came up with it. Good work.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567

Second, Wolverine/Doop is pure comic book goodness. You absolutely need to read it, Pants. Here’s a quote from Darwyn about it from the upcoming Modern Masters book:

“They wanted me to do a two-part fill-in for X-Force. I was reluctant, and Axel was like, ‘C’mon. What do you want to do? Whatever you want, Peter will work with you.’ So I said, ‘It has to be a double-sized one-shot and it’s the ultimate team-up: Wolverine and Doop.’ I was thinking, ‘This will shut them up. They’ll leave me alone now.’ There’s a pause on the phone, then Axel said, ‘Wow, that could work. Let me phone Peter.’ A half an hour later he called back and said, ‘Yeah, we’ll do it.’ I was like, ‘Oh, my God. Okay.’ [laughter] And then I panicked, so I threw a few more caveats in. I said, ‘It’s got to have a beautiful girl in it. And I want the story to take place in Toronto.’ God bless, Milligan. He took it and ran with it. The Pink Lady, Toronto—he didn’t care, and he wrote that absolutely insane story that still has some sort of throughline of rationality. It ended up being a riot. I think it speaks to the sort of myopic nature of fandom that that book isn’t more highly regarded, because I think it’s hilarious.”
    That's a great story! I love behind the scenes stuff like this. Wolverine/Doop is now on my want list.
  • jmoneyjmoney Posts: 31
    First of all I've been listening to you guys for a few months now and really do enjoy the show. Sorry if my first post seems a bit negative but I have strong feelings about this time in Marvel's history.
    A little surprised you guys didn't mention the negative fan reaction to Bendis's Avengers Disassembled. Those of us that were Avenger fans for years were shunted aside in favor of bringing in Spidey and Wolverine fans. I have tried several times over the past decade to read the Avengers but no matter what the title on the cover says that book just isn't The Avengers. I am soooooo happy that Bendis is finally leaving the book. I'm sure he'll kill or scar a few characters on his way out the door but hopefully someone like Christos Gage will be brought in to smooth over some of the out of character actions we've seen for the past 10 years.
    Why did MAX books like Alias and SUPREME POWER become Marvel Knights booksLike THE PULSE and SP? Because the sales as MAX series didn't justify the expense of the talent making these books.

According to Marvel, lots of Comic stores that cater to younger audiences didn't carry the MAX books at all.

As I recall, they also got into trouble over the MAX Nick Fury book... I had heard someone was looking at making a Nick Fury movie (not that Hasselhoff TV one), and *that* was the Nick Fury book out at the time, and the movie people turned up their noses at its content and scuttled the deal.
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

As I recall, they also got into trouble over the MAX Nick Fury book... I had heard someone was looking at making a Nick Fury movie (not that Hasselhoff TV one), and *that* was the Nick Fury book out at the time, and the movie people turned up their noses at its content and scuttled the deal.
    George Clooney was set to be Fury. I could be wrong, but I think it was Clooney himself who had the problem with the series. Considering how Fury has been a part of the Avengers movieverse, I'm not so sure this getting nuked was a bad thing.
  • Murd, just between you and I, I've been feeling a little "manga curious" lately. Ha!
  • Murd, just between you and I, I've been feeling a little "manga curious" lately. Ha!
    Read Appleseed!
    Or akira!
    Or death note!
    Or nausicaa!!!!!!!!
    Or iron wok jan!
    Or hunter x hunter!
    I've been a bit curious lately too...oh wait,ah your on about manga.oopps :p
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Waid & Wieringo's FF was my favorite book for a good long while, even the Doctor Doom story which I thought was really clever - Doom embracing sorcery over science, challenging Reed to beat him on that level and actually giving him the tools to do it. Good stuff. And I definitely agree that we lost 'Ringo way too soon. I still remember how awful I felt when I read about his passing.

I mostly skipped the Marvel Knights Captain America book, but I did come back toward the end for the two-parter story where he traveled to a parallel earth to team-up with the Isaiah Washington Cap, and then the concluding 4-parter by Kirkman, in which Kirkman was acting as a Mark Gruenwald tribute band. The good Gruenwald, though... Serpent Society and stuff, not Cap Wolf.

If it wasn't for Cap Wolf we would have never gotten Drunk Cap's classic line.