Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Share Marvel Unlimited Recommendations

I recently rejoined Marvel Unlimited, and I know there are other users of that service, and now that it boasts of over 17K issues on offer, I thought it might be good time to hear and share some recommendations going, whether recent series worth reading, or hidden gems.

One I will start with-- a series I don't think I even noticed when it was getting published, but found and really enjoyed via MU.

Captain America and Black Panther: Flags of Our Fathers. A Marvel Knights mini from 2010. Reginald Hudlin (who I didn't love on the main Black Panther series, but enjoyed here) and Denys Cowan, who I've enjoyed from back in the Question days. The WW2 Cap and Howling Commandos team up with the T'Chaka Black Panther, in his prime, and they fight Nazis. What's not to love.

One more team-up, that I did get in print back in the day, and the recent Daredevil season on Netflix put it back in my mind--

Daredevil Vs. Punisher: Means and Ends. From 2005. Six issue mini. Written and drawn by David Lapham, of Stray Bullets fame. I read it when it came out, so it has been awhile, but I remember it was great. And i think would be of interest to those that enjoyed their conflict on the show.

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Great idea for a thread David. Can you place runs in a read later queue on MU?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Great idea for a thread David. Can you place runs in a read later queue on MU?

I believe so. I think that is what the My Library can be for (that is also for selecting issues to be downloaded to read offline, but also works as a place to queue and remind yourself of things.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Is the app any better? It was pretty garbage last time I used it?
    mwhitt80 said:

Is the app any better? It was pretty garbage last time I used it?

What exactly were your problems with the app? What platform did you use?
    Generally curious.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I haven't been on MU for a couple years now but I remember things like the app not remembering what I had read from log in to log in. If you signed in on a PC and then logged into the app the app had no idea what you did on the PC - annoying things like that.
    Regarding the performance of the app itself, I have seen it make substantial improvements. It was slow and buggy back in the Marvel DCU days, but when it relaunched as Marvel Unlimited, I remember the app performance getting better, though still could navigate slowly. I don't remember how long I had let me subscription lapse. At least a year, maybe closer to 18 months. But since rejoining a few weeks ago, to my eye the performance of the app, and smoothness of the navigation, is that much better than it was even a year ago. So it does feel like it is being resourced and improved.
    How about it remembering where you left off or it's sync with your different log-in locations (computer to tablet)

How about it remembering where you left off or it's sync with your different log-in locations (computer to tablet)

That has worked fine for me. I don't know if it holds your page within an issue across devices, as I don't remember if I have done it that way (if I am going to use it, I tend to do so at times when I will be able to finish an issue I start). But the row of recently read issues reminds me what I last read, so I tend to use that to know what issue to read next. But there has also been functionality added to let you manually mark things as read, if you want, and I believe you can also queue what you want to read next, though I have not played around with that, as the recently read is all the reminder I need. But I noticed those functions were there, and were not a year ago.
    Do you have any experience with offline reading @David_D? Any issues? I understand that's currently one of the biggest issue for some folks.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/so-whats-the-deal-with-marvel-unlimited-offline-reading-part-2/

Do you have any experience with offline reading @David_D? Any issues? I understand that's currently one of the biggest issue for some folks.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/so-whats-the-deal-with-marvel-unlimited-offline-reading-part-2/

I have rarely used the offline reading. I have used it in the past, and I remember it worked fine (I downloaded some issues to an iPad and was on airplane mode, and it worked fine). But I usually use it at home, in Wifi, as I more often take paper comics with me on the go. So I can't say my experience is representative.

I can say, using it in wifi, as I do, it works great, and has steadily improved over the years I have off-and-on used it.
    Okay, getting back to the recommendations--

Marvel 1985 by Mark Millar and Tommy Lee Edwards

This is another one that I read on paper originally, when it was coming out back in 2008, but it is on MU. I have read a lot of Mark Millar, though I sometimes run hot and cold with him. Sometimes, maybe more than sometimes, he is a little too clever or sleek for his own good, and I enjoy his ideas, but don't always connect with his characters, or feel that there is an emotional core to this work, or anything he is putting on the line as a writer. Sometimes it is all a little too cool and packaged.

Not with this one. 1985 is one of my favorite things he ever wrote. It is a surprising, and unusual story that plays with the idea of Marvel characters, in the mid-'80s, crossing into the real world, and this event is experienced from the point of view of a comics reading 13 year old boy whose parents are getting a divorce.

This series came back to mind recently when watching Stranger Things on Netflix, as there are some tones in common, as well as the similar setting. And Tommy Lee Edwards, and the sense of weight and realness his art brings, is perfect. His world feels so real that when the real world is intruded upon by the fantastic, you really feel it. It's one of those hidden gems, and all 6 issues are on MU.
    edited July 2016
    I think I might try that book David. I really like like good Millar.

I got a year subscription back in January and maybe used it a dozen times. I hated the offline reading, trying to navigate through the app, and trying to update my reading list.
    mwhitt80 said:

I got a year subscription back in January and maybe used it a dozen times. I hated the offline reading, trying to navigate through the app, and trying to update my reading list.

I'm on the fence with the app. What device are you using the app on and specifically can you talk about the navigation and offline reading problems you experienced?

Do they have customizable comics “playlists,” in-app continuity (cycle through reading orders directly rather than clicking around series by series), and member stats and memory so you know how many comics you’ve read?
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2016
    Don't buy it if you plan on using a kindle fire. The app doesn't exist in amazon's app store and you have to end up "side loading" an android version..and it's a hassle.

I liked the offline reading. I used mine at work where there was no wifi. You can pick five(IIRC) issues to read and it worked pretty slick.

Despite the app being a bit buggy I've thought about getting another subscription. If I do subscribe again I will wait for a sale first. I missed out on the one day sale a few days ago. I was expecting another SDCC sale(usually first month for a penny) but didn't see anything this year.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Don't buy it if you plan on using a kindle fire. The app doesn't exist in amazon's app store and you have to end up "side loading" an android version..and it's a hassle.

I liked the offline reading. I used mine at work where there was no wifi. You can pick five(IIRC) issues to read and it worked pretty slick.

Despite the app being a bit buggy I've thought about getting another subscription. If I do subscribe again I will wait for a sale first. I missed out on the one day sale a few days ago. I was expecting another SDCC sale(usually first month for a penny) but didn't see anything this year.

That was a pain.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    edited July 2016
    After ages of waffling, I signed up for year subscription to Marvel Unlimited about 6 months ago. Love it (use it on my iPad).
    Sooooo much good content. It has impacted what I pick up off the rack at the LCS. I find myself passing on things that I would normally pick up on a whim, because I know it will show up on the App in a couple of months.

I'm also loving that I can pull up "key" issues and series to share with my kids without having to rummage around in the Comic Cave and dig through unorganized long boxes.

If you haven't read it yet (or in a long while) my recommendation is Alan Davis' Clan Destine. They have the original 12 issues from 94, the 2-part X-Men crossover(?), and the 5 issue mini from 2008. Can't go wrong.

• Fun idea for a thread. I recently read the first three issues of Tom King's Vision series. Really enjoy it so far. I also read Amazing Spider-man annual #1. Fun issue. Had an entertaining backup about how Lee and Ditko create an issue.

Regarding offline reading; Over the weekend I downloaded 12 issues to read. Had no problems with 11 of them but one would not go past page 5 or so. This is on a 3 year old iPad.
    Thanks for the recommendations @Hex and @Amazing_Bagman . Keep 'em coming!
    edited August 2016
    Secret Avengers (volume 1) 16-21.

"Run the mission. Don't get seen. Save the world."

These were a short run of fantastic, one-and-done stories by Warren Ellis and some fantastic artists (Jamie McKelvie, David Aja, Michael Lark, and others). Each of these stories have the cinematic urgency and big idea SF bent of some prior Ellis works, like Global Frequencies. They are all very different, and very different looking, issues of the Secret Avengers team solving a big, off-the-grid crisis in a single shot. I read them on paper at the time in single issues, but they are available on MU, and a great thing to go to if you want a great, single issue palette cleaner in the midst of some longer run you are reading.
    I'm going recommend one of the best Hulk stories of all time.

Planet Hulk Incredible Hulk (1999-2008) #92 - 105

Hulk has been exiled to the war ravaged planet of Skaar; where he battles for freedom, and finds happiness and peace.
    Originally it was used to take Hulk out of the picture for Civil War, but ended up being an epic story for the Hulk.

The next recommendation is Son of the Hulk

This was a 17 issue series that was overlooked by most, but is a great follow-up to Planet Hulk. Picking up the in the immediate aftermath of Plant Hulk, this follows one the survivors, Skaar Son of the Hulk. Instead of reading the disappointing World War Hulk read this and enjoy good more great comics.

The entire Greg Pak Hulk/Hercules run is great (except WWH, even Peter David had some not great moments during his tenure), and these two stories are a great place to start.
  • Some of my favorite selections that I discovered on MU have been the Greg Rucka Punisher series, Tomb of Dracula, Superior Foes, Nextwave, Captain Britain and MI13, the Remender Venom series, Avengers Arena and Undercover, She Hulk... I could go on. I haven't even named current books like Ant-man, Carnage, Spider-Woman, Patsy Walker, Vision or the Star Wars stuff, but there is a ton of good content to choose from.

Some of my favorite selections that I discovered on MU have been the Greg Rucka Punisher series, Tomb of Dracula, Superior Foes, Nextwave, Captain Britain and MI13, the Remender Venom series, Avengers Arena and Undercover, She Hulk... I could go on. I haven't even named current books like Ant-man, Carnage, Spider-Woman, Patsy Walker, Vision or the Star Wars stuff, but there is a ton of good content to choose from.

Nextwave is a great mostly forgotten series. It was so absurd in a way that only comics can be
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

Some of my favorite selections that I discovered on MU have been the Greg Rucka Punisher series, Tomb of Dracula, Superior Foes, Nextwave, Captain Britain and MI13, the Remender Venom series, Avengers Arena and Undercover, She Hulk... I could go on. I haven't even named current books like Ant-man, Carnage, Spider-Woman, Patsy Walker, Vision or the Star Wars stuff, but there is a ton of good content to choose from.

Nextwave is a great mostly forgotten series. It was so absurd in a way that only comics can be
    I gave the Nextwave collection to my brother for Christmas last year.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    Star Wars! The first 2 trades (maybe 3 by now) of the main title and the Darth Vader title, plus a bunch of the mini-series are available.

I have had a lot of issues with general responsiveness when downloading for offline reading. The app was very slow, would not register taps, and was generally a pain trying to download multiple issues at a time.

I should point out that I don't have a subscription right now, this was during the last free promo, in May I think. I was on an iPad 3.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    mwhitt80 said:

Planet Hulk

Can't believe I have yet to read Planet Hulk. I dropped the book ages before that storyline was published and it flew under my radar at the time. I came back when Herc took over the title, which was surprisingly awesome.

I've added Planet Hulk to my MU "Library". It is in my reading queue, right behind the Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider series.
    edited August 2016
    @Hex how are you liking GR?

And wasn't kidding if you like Planet Hulk read Son of the Hulk. Greg Pak really got to tell a great multi-year Hulk family epic.

I'll even recommend Loeb's Hulk (2008-2012) series that followed the adventure of Red Hulk with a caveat. Loeb drug out the "mystery" of Rulk's identity way to freaking long. The Rulk stories are awesome fun, but the mystery plot was just stupid.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

I'll even recommend Loeb's Hulk (2008-2012) series that followed the adventure of Red Hulk with a caveat. Loeb drug out the "mystery" of Rulk's identity way to freaking long. The Rulk stories are awesome fun, but the mystery plot was just stupid.

The plot’s only purpose was to give Ed McGuinness, Frank Cho, and Art Adams cool stuff to draw. It did its job admirably.
    Very admirably. This was a great artist book.

mwhitt80 said:

The plot’s only purpose was to give Ed McGuinness, Frank Cho, and Art Adams cool stuff to draw. It did its job admirably.
    I read that one via MU (or maybe this was back when it was the Marvel DCU). I already knew the reveal going in, so I could just enjoy the fights and the story along the way. Those artists and the color artists supporting them looked excellent in digital, and those issues are a fast, fun read.