Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

1282930313234»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

And, as long as there is a profit for the Bleeding Cools of the world, there will be an incentive to spin and gin up rumors, whether there is much to them at all. Because in the gutter between speculation and fact is room for those who would click bait to try to find the best button-pushing theory to support.

Interesting take. I never mentioned BleedingCool or linked to them. In fact, I don't think they've said anything about this for some time. Besides, other than my stated suspicion, everything I said was factual. You're not disputing that are you @David_D? :)

Do you not believe that, in many instances, rumors in this industry have turned out to be true?
    Sorry for the late reply on this question--

My post was not to dispute. Actually, it was more of a yes and...

I agree that, as you put it--
    Plausible or implausible, truthful or false, when the public wants to understand but does not receive any official answers, there will be rumors - the black market of information.
    To that I am saying, yes, and within that market that exists between interest and information, there are those who profit from pushing the most inflammatory narrative. And, given that they seem to take little interest in ever retracting, or setting the record straight once facts are in. Rather, they have moved on to the next piece of inflammation they can sell. So, when it comes to narratives crafted to fit the 'Those suits are coming for that thing you like!' narratives, I am not saying they are never true, but I am saying that I find myself looking at those narratives and asking, 'Who benefits?'
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

According to this article, the original script, by Jeremy Slater, had a lot more Kirby influence and even included Galactus.

According to a recent article from ScreenCrush, FOX wanted this movie done cheap and fast. Too bad. This script still doesn't sound like it has Doom exactly right, but it sounds much closer to something MUCH cool.

Writer Jeremy Slater wanted to make a giant, epic film while director Josh Trank wanted something grounded and gritty… and FOX producer Simon Kinberg wanted something that would make sense and come in under budget. All three got writing credit.

Slater ended up doing 10 to 15 different drafts of the film in six months. His version would have been very expensive and would feature multiple villains including an early fight with Annihilus. This is what he told Matt Singer.

"In addition to Annihilus and the Negative Zone, we had Doctor Doom declaring war against the civilized world, the Mole Man unleashing a 60 foot genetically-engineered monster in downtown Manhattan, a commando raid on the Baxter Foundation, a Saving Private Ryan-style finale pitting our heroes against an army of Doombots in war-torn Latveria, and a post-credit teaser featuring Galactus and the Silver Surfer destroying an entire planet. We had monsters and aliens and Fantasticars and a cute spherical H.E.R.B.I.E. robot that was basically BB-8 two years before BB-8 ever existed. And if you think all of that sounds great…well, yeah, we did, too. The problem was, it would have also been massively, MASSIVELY expensive."
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

According to this article, the original script, by Jeremy Slater, had a lot more Kirby influence and even included Galactus.

According to a recent article from ScreenCrush, FOX wanted this movie done cheap and fast. Too bad. This script still doesn't sound like it has Doom exactly right, but it sounds much closer to something MUCH cool.

Writer Jeremy Slater wanted to make a giant, epic film while director Josh Trank wanted something grounded and gritty… and FOX producer Simon Kinberg wanted something that would make sense and come in under budget. All three got writing credit.

Slater ended up doing 10 to 15 different drafts of the film in six months. His version would have been very expensive and would feature multiple villains including an early fight with Annihilus. This is what he told Matt Singer.

"In addition to Annihilus and the Negative Zone, we had Doctor Doom declaring war against the civilized world, the Mole Man unleashing a 60 foot genetically-engineered monster in downtown Manhattan, a commando raid on the Baxter Foundation, a Saving Private Ryan-style finale pitting our heroes against an army of Doombots in war-torn Latveria, and a post-credit teaser featuring Galactus and the Silver Surfer destroying an entire planet. We had monsters and aliens and Fantasticars and a cute spherical H.E.R.B.I.E. robot that was basically BB-8 two years before BB-8 ever existed. And if you think all of that sounds great…well, yeah, we did, too. The problem was, it would have also been massively, MASSIVELY expensive."

If that's the first movie, it sounds less "great" & more "busy". To quote Mickey from the Brisk Tea commercials "save some of that for the sequel!"
  • Options
    Matt said:

If that's the first movie, it sounds less "great" & more "busy". To quote Mickey from the Brisk Tea commercials "save some of that for the sequel!"

I don't know. I love these ideas. And you can't save anything for the sequels if you don't get a sequel, but I get your meaning. This has more crammed in it than 'The Incredibles' did.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    I agree with Matt, three villains to two too many. Focus on one and make it great.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    mrfusion said:

I agree with Matt, three villains to two too many. Focus on one and make it great.

Unless, they're using the Frightful Four. That would be cool.
  • Options
    "So you're saying there's a chance..."