Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On Having to Pre-Order Comics to Save Them (or "Die Industry, Die!")

Comments

• Options
    Torchsong said:

I don't think the Japanese model works in America. As much as I'd love weekly comics in a big disposable book, I think the cost would be prohibitive.

More than that, though, today’s American comic readers have proven they don’t want to read an anthology. And I think the binge-watch culture we’ve developed recently kind of speaks to that as well.
  • Options
    David_D said:

But this version of Nighthawk started in Supreme Power (a Squadron Supreme reboot, alternate Earth, and a MAX book) by JMS and Gary Frank.

Yep, and I dropped that series after three issues. It’s the reason I had no interest in this Nighthawk series.
  • Options

Curiously, Marvel are launching a couple of more third-tier character books. Guess they figure one of them will hit or maybe they have a strategy or agenda in mind.

The strategy is to have a crap-ton of titles on the shelf. It’s the same strategy they had back in the early to mid-’70s and again in the early ’90s. “How do we do it? Volume, volume, volume.” But when you limit the lineup to a half-dozen or so X-Men related titles instead of the dozen-plus from a few years ago, you’ve got to pull the characters from somewhere else.

Plus, throwing out lesser known IPs every now and then helps to get them at least a little bit better recognized.
  • Options

No one is saying the obvious here: Nighthawk is not a character that enough people know or care about to order a comics series. It sold poorly before it came out, so any discussion of quality or lack thereof is moot. Omega the Unknown by Latham was a brilliant book that sold poorly because...come on, it's Omega the Unknown.

Well, another aspect to consider is the Farel Dalrymple art—which I love—probably turned off a lot of Marvel stalwarts who might have considered buying it otherwise. It is a brilliant book, though.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

The strategy is to have a crap-ton of titles on the shelf. It’s the same strategy they had back in the early to mid-’70s and again in the early ’90s. “How do we do it? Volume, volume, volume.” But when you limit the lineup to a half-dozen or so X-Men related titles instead of the dozen-plus from a few years ago, you’ve got to pull the characters from somewhere else.

Plus, throwing out lesser known IPs every now and then helps to get them at least a little bit better recognized.

Hmmm... now I wonder why David Walker and Brian Bendis didn't just say that about the cancellation in the first place?

:)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

More than that, though, today’s American comic readers have proven they don’t want to read an anthology. And I think the binge-watch culture we’ve developed recently kind of speaks to that as well.

Yeah, isn't DC trying a pseudo-anthology with Legends of Tomorrow? I can't imagine sales on that are doing any great shakes, although I heard the Sugar and Spike story was a lot of fun.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

...and once in a while it works and something sticks. Who ever expected that we would have on-going Marvel titles featuring the likes of Squirrel Girl, Silk, (the new) Ms. Marvel, Inhumans (not one, but two titles!), plus the upcoming Mosaic and Solo series.
    David_D said:

But this version of Nighthawk started in Supreme Power (a Squadron Supreme reboot, alternate Earth, and a MAX book) by JMS and Gary Frank.

If it was the "original" 616 Kyle Richmond/Defenders Nighthawk, I would have ordered it in a heartbeat. I do love the C-list characters.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2016
    Hex said:

...and once in a while it works and something sticks. Who ever expected that we would have on-going Marvel titles featuring the likes of Squirrel Girl, Silk, (the new) Ms. Marvel, Inhumans (not one, but two titles!), plus the upcoming Mosaic and Solo series.
    Oh sure. If Marvel kept strictly to publishing 26 titles, no more, no less, they most likely never would have published any of those titles. Well... they would have done Inhumans, since they’re pushing them in their TV/movie-verse. But that’s the conundrum I have with Marvel and DC. I hate that they flood the market, but it’s those outlier books like Squirrel Girl and Omega Men that never would be published otherwise which I tend to enjoy the most from them.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Hex said:

If it was the "original" 616 Kyle Richmond/Defenders Nighthawk, I would have ordered it in a heartbeat.

I agree. When I read the solicit and realized it wasn't Kyle, I was: 'meh.'

If pre-orders for the first-issue of a Marvel book are in the low 30k's or below, it seems like the writing is already on the wall - unless it's like a black swan like a 'Walking Dead' which is never expected. So if Marvel is just keeping IPs propped up and also not offering return-ability, why would retailers be motivated to take chances? Maybe they could have printed large number ones in the top corner of every issue of Nighthawk...

As for return ability of comics, again, although Marvel doesn't offer it, ComicChrin looked at the sales numbers over the last year of books that WERE returnable and it turns out that the median returnable comic book in 2014-15 wound up eventually selling 10% more copies than Diamond initially reported. Return-ability is not an albatross.

• Options

Hmmm... now I wonder why David Walker and Brian Bendis didn't just say that about the cancellation in the first place?

:)

Let’s throw out the obvious point about not wanting to make waves with your employer. And let’s put aside whether Walker and/or Bendis were blaming readers—which, personally, I didn’t that feeling at all from the quotes I saw. Let’s just talk about the basic issue of Marvel (and DC) putting out more titles than the industry can support.

Without that volume of titles, Walker might not be working for Marvel right now—Marvel would only need six or seven writers, tops. Bendis probably wouldn’t have been able to do a series like Alias. Without that volume, would there even have been room for a Marvel Knights line to bring Bendis into the Marvel fold?

The vast number of titles isn’t completely a bad thing, because it allows for more creative freedom within the company. It allows them to experiment, which often results in a superior product (see Tom King’s Vision series). You take the good with the bad.
  • Options
    Was a LOL required? I thought the smiley face was enough of an indicator.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2016

Was a LOL required? I thought the smiley face was enough of an indicator.

No, I knew you were joking. I just wanted to paint both sides of the picture.

[Edit: Maybe I should have just not included your quote at all, as this was really more just a continuation of my last post.]
  • Options

So if Marvel is just keeping IPs propped up and also not offering return-ability, why would retailers be motivated to take chances? ... As for return ability of comics, again, although Marvel doesn't offer it, ComicChrin looked at the sales numbers over the last year of books that WERE returnable and it turns out that the median returnable comic book in 2014-15 wound up eventually selling 10% more copies than Diamond initially reported. Return-ability is not an albatross.

A 10% bump would certainly have helped Nighthawk’s case. Still a borderline title though.

Nice to have some data on returnablility. I assume this was just Marvel and DC books, or were there any independents in the mix? I'm not worried about Marvel and DC surviving returnability, but the smaller publishers...
  • Options
    Some independents in the mix, but the thing about returnability numbers is that some books are forced to offer returnability when they are super late, so it's a challenge to parse these numbers with total accuracy.
  • Options

Some independents in the mix, but the thing about returnability numbers is that some books are forced to offer returnability when they are super late, so it's a challenge to parse these numbers with total accuracy.

Ah, of course. I've been involved with a few returnable projects myself. :blush:

Too bad those numbers aren’t kept separate from the rest.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    mwhitt80 said:

Geez on a serious note, I actually confused Squadron Supreme's Nighthawk with New Warriors' Night Thrasher.
    My previous comment is 65℅ less good upon that realization. My bad guys.

It's alright, I kept thinking of Darkhawk most of this thread.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Geez on a serious note, I actually confused Squadron Supreme's Nighthawk with New Warriors' Night Thrasher.

Darkhawk is very happy someone thought of him.

• Options

mwhitt80 said:

Darkhawk is very happy someone thought of him.
    Seriously, I think a Darkhawk series would have had a better chance than this Nighthawk series.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

mwhitt80 said:

Welp this exchange pretty much sums up why we aren't getting any more Nighthawk.

Didn't Marvel do a Night Thrasher limited series in the last two years?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited September 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

Didn't Marvel do a Night Thrasher limited series in the last two years?

*extremely old - spoilers*

Night Thrasher has been dead since the original Civil War event.

*not so old - spoilers*

Time displaced Night Thrasher recently made an appearance in Marvel's Contest of Champions title.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I knew he was "dead", but I was 90% sure I'd seen him in the marvel catalogue. It must have been the Contest of Champions.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited September 2016
    Wasn't a pre-vampire Jubilee also Night Thrasher for a bowl of cereal?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

This is either a strange bit of auto-complete, of my favorite new expression I had not encountered yet.
  • Options
    David_D said:

This is either a strange bit of auto-complete, of my favorite new expression I had not encountered yet.
    I'm not a coffee drinker, so is a bowl of cereal shorter or longer than a cup of coffee?
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited September 2016
    The thing I think that makes Manga maybe more accessible than Marvel or DC, is for the most part whatever series your reading in Manga is it. You don't need to keep up with with some other series to get the story you want.

And you don't ever have to worry about some giant crossover where you need to get multiple books.

Also another reason is that a Manga series for the most part the story has a beginning and a end.

Top 5 Manga Volume Sales 1st half of 2016.
    1. One Piece 6.5 Million,
    2. Assassination Classroom 4.4 Million,
    3. Attack On Titan 4.3 Million,
    4. Haikyu 4 Million,
    5. Kingdom 3.5 Million

And side note at least 4 of these 5 series are really good. Never read Assassination Classroom so I can't say if it's good or not?

Kingdom is amazing you will look at that art and will be amazed when you realize this is a weekly series.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

Nighthawk, he was in the Loners right?
    (Just kidding I know he was a part of the New Defenders ;) )

As for manga, I dabble a little more than most but @Torchsong devours. Your comment made me think of @John_Steed; I miss Werner.

I think this version is the one from Squadron Sinister. The one from the Defenders has been relegated to crowd scene status since no one knew how to write him but Steve Gerber.

I thought this one was from the Mark Waid's Squadron Supreme. Though I haven't read the title yet. I could be wrong.
    Close-- I think Waid might have done a later volume. But this version of Nighthawk started in Supreme Power (a Squadron Supreme reboot, alternate Earth, and a MAX book) by JMS and Gary Frank. The character ended up in the 616 as part of the Secret Wars fallout, I think.
    Yeah, Supreme Power is what I was thinking of. I forgot it started with JMS... And was yet another thing he walked away from !

Thanks, @David_D !
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited September 2016

No. She was part of the New Warriors though, when the train was composed of mostly de-powered mutants.

The leader was a new Night Thrasher, who turned out to be the brother of the original.

-Demonstrative Doom!
  • Options

No. She was part of the New Warriors though, when the train was composed of mostly de-powered mutants.

The leader was a new Night Thrasher, who turned out to be the brother of the original.

-Demonstrative Doom!
    You know entirely too much about Night Thrasher. But then, I’ve never read a Night Thrasher comic, and I feel I know too much about Night Thrasher.
  • Options

-Demonstrative Doom!
    You know entirely too much about Night Thrasher. But then, I’ve never read a Night Thrasher comic, and I feel I know too much about Night Thrasher.
    I kept waiting for him to listen to some heavy metal, but alas, wrong kind of Thrasher.