Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1621 Talkback - Comic Talk - Improv Edition

Comments

• Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited September 2016
    Very disappointing to see this kind of stuff here. Very disheartening, depressing, boring....and so NOT what the podcast is all about. Take your glove-slapping brawls somewhere else, guys.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fnx9zt5Wzmg
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I have to admit, I find the bickering entertaining. It's interesting drama over meaninglessness. Fantastic stuff.

I also disagree with the notion as we get older, we should make amends & be friends. Why can't we have enemies as adults?!

M
  • Matt said:

I have to admit, I find the bickering entertaining. It's interesting drama over meaninglessness. Fantastic stuff.

Perhaps that highlights the age difference between us. Or maybe it's a geographical temperament thing (East Coast vs. Midwest). There was a time when stuff like message board drama entertained me, too....but I just got to a point in life where it now just strikes me as sad, unnecessary, and toxic.

Just out of curiosity, how is message board drama "meaningful"?

Matt said:

Perhaps that highlights the age difference between us. Or maybe it's a geographical temperament thing (East Coast vs. Midwest). There was a time when stuff like message board drama entertained me, too....but I just got to a point in life where it now just strikes me as sad, unnecessary, and toxic.

Just out of curiosity, how is message board drama "meaningful"?
    I don't believe age has any factor. I find the rawness of people bickering enlightening. People cut through the normal cordial bull shit & just open up. As a detective, I find the information that can culled from the raw emotion to be valuable. I store it away for a rainy day.

I'm not certain of the "meaningful" drama on boards.

M

I'm not that much older than Matt, and it's never entertained me. I'm also on the East Coast, although in the South rather than the North(ish). But it's why I only posted two or three times on the Newsarama forums back in the day before bailing out. I lasted a little longer on CBR’s forums, but only because I mainly stuck to the Classic Comics section. The reason I’ve stuck around the CGS forums for so long—going back to 2007—is because there’s very little of that stuff here. Which means that when it does happen, it kind of shuts the place down until the dust settles a bit.
    It can be as entertaining & informative as any conflict in our comic books. In fact, I'm bored with hero verse villain. I was way more interested in the drama that came in Marvel's Civil War.

M
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Peter said:

Delete your account.

Peter said:

Delete your account, too. :smile:

I don't know how long you've been cyber-stalking me, but that joke was old the first time I stole it.

• Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited September 2016
    Maybe a thread can be started just for folks who love the drama...make it non-stop insults, gotcha comebacks, and repeated insistence from all involved that they couldn't care less about the thread....but actually care a great deal based on their continued participation. That way, the chair-throwers, drama queens, and conflict groupies can go do their thing, and those of us drama-averse folks can steer clear of that thread.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Tables... Ladders... Chairs....

OH MY!

Maybe a thread can be started just for folks who love the drama...make it non-stop insults, gotcha comebacks, and repeated insistence from all involved that they couldn't care less about the thread....but actually care a great deal based on their continued participation. That way, the chair-throwers, drama queens, and conflict groupies can go do their thing, and those of us drama-averse folks can steer clear of that thread.

Before you jump out of my safe zone, I'd like to offer insults, comebacks, roasting material can be enlightening if you let it. Kinda like an intervention without the waterworks & ambush.

For the rest of us, here's something to keep the taste in your mouths:

https://youtu.be/TIl8qSBGC9U

M

You are 8 years late to the party there:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/delete-your-account

Thanks for playing Corey, as I said

that joke was old the first time I stole it.

Huzzah!

• This stuff still happens? Oy.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    SpanoMano said:

This stuff still happens? Oy.

Rarely. But, yes.
  • If people didn't like it this thread wouldn't have over 1,500 views when the other show threads are in the low 100's.
  • Travis said:

If people didn't like it this thread wouldn't have over 1,500 views when the other show threads are in the low 100's.

I guess controversy sells. Unfortunately.
  • Travis said:

If people didn't like it this thread wouldn't have over 1,500 views when the other show threads are in the low 100's.

I guess controversy sells. Unfortunately.
    Yeah, this headline popped up in my Facebook feed over the weekend: “Two podcast hosts go after each other, and then a second fight breaks out! You won’t believe what Peter said in his fourth post!”
  • Travis said:

Car wrecks get a lot of views too.

Travis said:

Travis said:

So did the Drago/Rocky fight.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited September 2016
    Matt said:

Travis said:

Yep, movies get a lot of views (most of them anyway). And so do real life boxing matches and MMA bouts. My point was simply that views don’t always indicate that everyone is enjoying what they’re seeing.

Let’s see, I think this is the point where I'm supposed to call you obtuse or something, and then you laugh it off and call me a buffoon, and then we carry on from there and get 500 more views. Do I have that right? ;)

Matt said:

Travis said:

Yep, movies get a lot of views (most of them anyway). And so do real life boxing matches and MMA bouts. My point was simply that views don’t always indicate that everyone is enjoying what they’re seeing.

Let’s see, I think this is the point where I'm supposed to call you obtuse or something, and then you laugh it off and call me a buffoon, and then we carry on from there and get 500 more views. Do I have that right? ;)
    I was actually only making a joke.

And name calling is done by someone who has nothing else to factually add to a discussion/argument. It's the kitchen sink thrown right before the white flag.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited September 2016
    Matt said:

I was actually only making a joke.

That's cool, my second line was only a joke too. But my point remains.
    Matt said:

And name calling is done by someone who has nothing else to factually add to a discussion/argument. It's the kitchen sink thrown right before the white flag.

Agreed, for the most part. Sometimes namecallers do have facts to add to the discussion. But once they start the name calling, it becomes a lot harder for everyone else to hear those facts over the noise of the name calling.

But once they start the name calling, it becomes a lot harder for everyone else to hear those facts over the noise of the name calling.

The term "buffoon" kicked off the name-calling. Which was fairly one-sided for a while, but everyone overlooked it. A few even "Agree"d. Then the discussion basically followed this pattern: argument, counter-argument, on-topic point, joke, refutation, jokes, some left-field ad hominem attacks*, insults, shock, some ugliness, followed by awkward jokes, parry, embarrassing revelations, subject-changing, defending, disappointment, gawking, wrestling-centric jokes, philosophies, reflection, returning vets, newcomers, and now finally here we are... more or less.

No doubt compelling to the average voyeur, but I'd be amenable to a moderator closing this thread. It's derailed, he original subject's lost, and everything's probably been said that needed to be - along with other matters that should've been handled privately. None of it honors the purpose or mission of CGS.

(* my contribution)
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited September 2016

The term "buffoon" kicked off the name-calling.

Ah, I see - So "All Knowing Rios" is said with love and affection. Got it. :star:

• The term "buffoon" kicked off the name-calling. Which was fairly one-sided for a while, but everyone overlooked it. A few even "Agree"d.

“All Knowing,” while sounding pretty innocuous at face value, had some history behind it, and was not meant in a friendly way. That was really what got the ball rolling. There was nothing one-sided about that exchange.

But, yes, this thread is past its expiration date.
  • Peter said:

The term "buffoon" kicked off the name-calling.

Ah, I see - So "All Knowing Rios" is said with love and affection. Got it. :star:

And when YOU block someone on twitter, it's a crisis...unlike when other people do it. I guess.