Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What are the comic runs you can read over and over?

Been thinking about this one recently, so I wrote about 1400 words on three of my favorite comic runs that reward return readings (Stan Lee would be proud) over at the blog. You can check out my bloviating here, if you like.

But, this is a question being posed, so I'll try to keep it short. Even with the wealth of comics available to us today, there are still those runs of comics tucked away in your longboxes that call to you on a regular basis--a mix of nostalgia, great art, and compelling storytelling that just makes you feel warm inside, like catching up with an old friend you haven't seen for years, but you fall right back into the same old habits, as if it was yesterday. This is the good stuff (however you define good). Three of the comic series that keep me coming back to re-read and enjoy are:

Sandman--the mix of horror, fantasy, ancient myth, and contemporary issues all congealed to form a series I consider a classic. Didn't hurt that the likes of Jon Muth, Michael Zulli, Colleen Doran, Mike Dringenberg, Charles Vess, and others did art for these stories.

G.I. Joe--this was the first series I collected, from #23-140, with reprints and digests for the earlier issues. Love the characters, the costumes, Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow, and the political intrigue. Larry Hama did some great work in this series, along with some great artists like Mark Bright, Herb Trimpe, Ron Wagner, Rod Whigham, and others.

Suicide Squad--this was always at the top of my pile, when it was being published, and it never disappointed. Love the concept, love the characters, love everything about it. And it still holds up, for me. John Ostrander, Kim Yale, Luke McDonnell, Karl Kesel, Geof Isherwood, John K. Snyder III, et al. created a classic.

So, what are your favorite comics to return to?

chris

Comments

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    1. G.I. Joe was my first come book series too, I love going back and reading it.
    2. Avengers - from around issue 200 to the Battle of Olympus storyline in the 280's.
    3. Fables - including all its spin offs.

• DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The Death and Return of Superman for me, as well as Knightfall.
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Kamandi; FF (from virtually any point in time); Bendis' Daredevil
  • Great choices, all! I'd love to keep this going and get some more "conversation" going. Maybe sharing why these runs speak to you. I'll try to bump that along. From the blog post alluded to above, my thoughts on G.I. Joe [note: most likely infused with Nostalgia&HyperboleTM]:
    This was the first comic book I collected and will always be an important title because of that. I started with issue 23 of the series—“Cobra Commander Captured at last!”—and it was all engines ahead, after that one. I collected up through #140 (featuring the Transformers, by that time) and backtracked to gather all the previous issues, either through reprints or the digests available at my local bookstore, and these comics rarely disappointed.

The battle of good vs. evil and the cool costumes—and ninjas! Natch—were what initially drew me in, but it was the writing that kept me hooked. Hama crafted some great characters, and their interpersonal relationships, along with the political intrigue inherent in the concept of Cobra and its battle against this covert and “superheroic” military unit, was exciting and engaging. Though soap operatic, to a great degree, there was something more complex and more adult at work in Hama’s storytelling. Sure, scenarios may have been outlandish and overblown, but it never felt like he was writing down to his audience. There was a definite line between good and evil, in the comic, but many of the characters’ personal morality skewed toward a hazier shade of gray, which infused the stories with something missing in most of my other comics. And, most important for me, though each issue contains the requisite exposition to bring newer readers up to speed, Hama was able to deftly weave this into the dialogue in a manner that rarely felt forced and, at the very least, was lyrical, which kept the exposition from stifling one’s appreciation of the reading experience.

Finally, it should be noted that there were a stellar number of artists who worked on this series. There was the legendary Herb Trimpe, Ron Wagner and Rod Whigham (two of my favorites on the title), Marshall Rogers, Tony Salmons, Mark Bright, Geof Isherwood, and even art from Hama himself, along with memorable covers by the likes of Michael Golden and Mike Zeck. G.I. Joe has a great pedigree, and it’s a comic that, today, still holds up and excites the kid in me, when I sit down to read it.
    -chris

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    So many to list here, I'll try to keep them short and sweet:

- Wolfman/Perez - New Teen Titans. The baby what turned me from comic reader to comic fanboy.
    - Anything Alpha Flight (but mostly that Byrne run) - I have zero ties to Canada, but I always thought it was cool they had their own superteam.
    DC Event Comics - moreso than Marvel events, anyhow. I can always sit down and read any Crisis book, Legends, Millenium, Zero Hour, War of the Gods, etc.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Englehart's Silver Surfer
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    COIE- I reread that trade at least once a year

DKR - A book I never get tired of reading

Kovac Saga - Pérez's artwork is just a joy to the eye's and Shooter's story was hands down my favorite Avengers story

Anything from ASM 1-150
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    Kurt Busiek & Carlos Pacheco both at their best.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I got a few that I read every year or every other year.

1.Preacher-read the entire run once a year since it ended.
    2.Animal Man-Since about 2002 I have read this entire series at least every other year.
    3.HATE-Like Preacher,since this series ended I will read the entire run once a year.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    1. "Locas". Jaime Hernandez
    2. "Promethea". Alan Moore and J.H Williams
    3. "Sandman". Neil Gaiman and company
    4. "Cerebus". Dave Sim and Gerhard
    5. The "Buddy Bradley" stories. Peter Bagge
    6. "Dark Knight Returns". Frank Miller
    7. "Hicksville". Dylan Horrocks
    8. "Kingdom come". Mark Waid and Alex Ross
    9. "Ocean". Warren Ellis and Chris Sprouse
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Kingdom Come
    Dark Knight Returns
    Jim Starlin on any Marvel Cosmic title
    Avengers Forever
    Daredevil by Frank Miller
    Tomb of Dracula
    Captain America War & Rememberance by John Byrne
    Fantastic Four by John Byrne
    Namor the Sub-Mariner by John Byrne
    She-Hulk by John Byrne
    She-Hulk by Dan Slott
    Superman for All Seasons
    Flash Gordon by Parker & Shaner
    The Long Halloween
    Excalibur by Alan Davis
    Pretty much any Uncanny X-Men from issue 94-245
    Ditko, Romita Sr, Ross Andru Era Amazing Spider-Man
    Conan the Barbarian by Thomas & Buscema era (or any issues from 1-125)
    Silver Surfer by Ron Lim (or any issues from 1-106)
    Incredible Hulk by Peter David and Dale Keown (or any issue from 368-412)
    Most of my Fireside trades

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Kingdom Come
    Dark Knight Returns
    Jim Starlin any Marvel Cosmic title
    Avengers Forever
    Tomb of Dracula
    Fantastic Four by Johnny Byrne
    Namor the Sub-Mariner by John Byrne
    She-Hulk by John Byrne
    Superman for All Seasons
    The Long Halloween
    Excalibur by Alan Davis
    Pretty much any Uncanny X-Men from issue 94-245
    Ditko, Romita Sr, Ross Andru Era Amazing Spider-Man
  • stu89stu89 Posts: 9
    DMZ and The Spectre run by John Ostrander/Tom Mandrake. Fables always!
  • 1. The Byrne/Claremont run of Uncanny X-men... where I got my start in collecting.
    2. Infinite Crisis. I did a 4 volume hardcover set that compiled the whole enchilada in one complete story, from Identity Crisis all the way through the end of the overall arc.
    3. Watchmen. Still gets read every year or so. Still find something new each time.
    4. JLA - From issue #1 of Grant Morrison's run through his departure.
    5. Justice League - New Frontier.
  • I'll have to dig through my longboxes to figure out what RUNS I re-read...but I have one issue I re-read like crazy...(it popped in my head as soon as I saw this topic)

• I'll have to dig through my longboxes to figure out what RUNS I re-read...but I have one issue I re-read like crazy...(it popped in my head as soon as I saw this topic)

That's a great issue. I really loved all those BnB issues by JMS.
  • And, to bump this a bit, here are my thoughts on Neil Gaiman's Sandman, from my blog, as mentioned in the initial post.
    This was the series for me, when it was originally published, and it is what helped make Neil Gaiman one of my favorite writers. The Sandman was unlike almost any other series I was reading, at the time (I had yet to compile a full collection of Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing), and it hit me at just the right age. I was in high school when the first issue was published, and was entering my senior year when I discovered the series, with issue #8, “The Sound of Her Wings.” Gaiman’s concoction of horror and magic, ancient myth and a literary sensibility, spoke right to me. And as the series progressed, the realization that he was overlaying all of these various stories with a single narrative that would see the main protagonist evolve, in as extreme a way as possible for the embodiment of Dream, only added to my appreciation of this series. It’s a masterpiece, in my opinion, and one that rewards subsequent readings with new insights.

Sandman hit at a time when the comic book publishers were just beginning to look at collected editions as a viable publishing avenue. When this became the expectation—that the single issues would be collected into a lasting volume—something occurred with the serialization of many comic books—writers (or the editors), would plan storylines to be six issues long, allowing for a standard length collection that could be priced appropriately and sit alongside all the other six-issue collections on the shelves. Thankfully, Sandman came before this—and I might argue that Gaiman would not have fallen into that trap, but who can say?—and the storylines within the comic spread across however many issues were needed to tell the story properly, whether it be five issues or seven or thirteen. These were often interspersed with a series of single-issue stories, vignettes that felt like a nice respite between arcs but, in many cases, were later revealed as integral pieces of the overall narrative. Yeah, I love this comic.

And, again, like Hama above, Gaiman was afforded the opportunity to work with a wonderful complement of amazing artists, including Charles Vess, Colleen Doran, Mike Dringenberg, Sam Kieth, Kelley Jones, Jill Thompson, Marc Hempel, and many others. These comics are not just wonderful stories, but they are also a feast for the eyes. Some of the most beautiful comic art can be found in these volumes, especially the final one, “The Wake,” which includes art from Michael Zulli, Jon J. Muth, and the aforementioned Vess. And don’t forget the covers by the inimitable Dave McKean. Just, seriously, beautiful, wonderful, amazing stuff. Seek it out if you haven’t already.
    -chris

• SenatorKellySenatorKelly Posts: 15
    edited September 2016
    1. Morrisons complete Batman run: I know a lot of fans rag on Morrison, but the re read value of his work is amazing to me. I get something new every time, plus, since I'm new to comics, the more I learn about DC history, the more value his work adds.

2. JLA (97) volumes 1-4: Again, I'm a big Morrison fan, but this book to me is everything a team book should be. Each arc was an apocalyptic scenario, and to me that's why you would assemble a superhero team. As much as I love the Morrison stuff, Tower of Babel is probably my favorite JLA story ever, and I hope it is somehow adapted into the films someday.

3. Hickmans Avengers/new avengers, FF, and Secret warriors are all awesome too. Secret warriors was a great story, and I'm always down to re read it to catch things I missed. With Hickman, he basically told one long story throughout FF, Ultimates, and then the Avengers/new avengers stuff. All the buildup was awesome for secret wars, especially the FF story line.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2016

3. Hickmans Avengers/new avengers, FF, and Secret warriors are all awesome too. Secret warriors was a great story, and I'm always down to re read it to catch things I missed. With Hickman, he basically told one long story throughout FF, Ultimates, and then the Avengers/new avengers stuff. All the buildup was awesome for secret wars, especially the FF story line.

Reading his Avengers books during Infinity was fantastic. If a person skipped reading them it was like missing a huge chunk of the Infinity story.

Secret Warriors was great and I'd tie his SHIELD story in there as well. You can read everything he did at Marvel and find connecting threads. Amazing.
  • I know I've mentioned some of these in the past, but why not do so again? In no particular order, runs I reread from time-to-time

Daredevil: Born Again
    Swamp Thing: Deadly Genesis
    The Shadowline Saga / Critical Mass
    Green Lantern Countdown (V2 issues 194-200)
    Kirby FF in the 50s and 60s (Masterworks vol 28)
    Batman: A Death in the Family
    Batman: Year One
    Iron Man anything from Mantlo/Tuska or Michelinie/JRjr/Layton

And though I haven't reread it yet, I suspect the Waid/Rivera/Samnee run of Daredevil will soon join that list.

A lot of obvious choices, but those are my go-tos for those rare occasions when I'm rereading something instead of tackling the to-read pile.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

I know I've mentioned some of these in the past, but why not do so again? In no particular order, runs I reread from time-to-time

And though I haven't reread it yet, I suspect the Waid/Rivera/Samnee run of Daredevil will soon join that list.

A lot of obvious choices, but those are my go-tos for those rare occasions when I'm rereading something instead of tackling the to-read pile.

You are the first person, aside from myself, that I have ever seen say anything positive about Shadowline Saga. I loved those books. The absolutely egregious treatment of Doctor Zero in Secret Wars dropped me right back out of Marvel when that Alex Ross cover image with Zero and St. George had reeled me back in.
  • hauberk said:

I know I've mentioned some of these in the past, but why not do so again? In no particular order, runs I reread from time-to-time

You are the first person, aside from myself, that I have ever seen say anything positive about Shadowline Saga. I loved those books. The absolutely egregious treatment of Doctor Zero in Secret Wars dropped me right back out of Marvel when that Alex Ross cover image with Zero and St. George had reeled me back in.
    I was surprised that Marvel brought the characters back at all, seeing as how they were under the Epic imprint and I thought there had to be some sort of creator ownership involved.

And creator ownership is why we won't ever see the Ultraverse characters at Marvel, no matter what corporate double speak they say when they are asked.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    hauberk said:

I'm embarrassed to say that I have Never, Ever heard of Shadowline. A quick, cursory search of the interwebs displays there is plenty of info out there. As a dedicated Marvel Zombie, I'm shocked Archie Goodwin's attempt at a "new universe" flew under my radar.

Even more surprising, when you consider that I'm fairly certain I have a complete run of the early '90s series of Terror Inc. and that character originates from Shadowline.

I may have to hunt down some cheap, reader issues.
  • Hex said:

I may have to hunt down some cheap, reader issues.

That shouldn’t be difficult at all. In fact, you should be able to easily find cheap high-grade issues as well.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited September 2016

hauberk said:

I was surprised that Marvel brought the characters back at all, seeing as how they were under the Epic imprint and I thought there had to be some sort of creator ownership involved.

And creator ownership is why we won't ever see the Ultraverse characters at Marvel, no matter what corporate double speak they say when they are asked.
    I was surprised as well. So much so, that it was a real crotch punch to see just how severely they treated him. I suppose that the real positive out of it was that they did it in the first issue, saving me quite a bit of money.

Epic was doing so much good stuff at that time.

ETA: revise time from this to that.
  • Dark Knight Returns
    Kingdom Come
    Watchmen
    Avengers Forever
    The End League
    Pax Romana
    The Marvel 1970s Terror on the Planet of the Apes series
  • hauberk said:

hauberk said:

Epic was doing so much good stuff at that time.

Because Archie Goodwin was the editor. Just about anything he oversees will be great.