Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

January Solicitations (November Previews) | What Looks Good?

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Amazing Spiderman Omnibus vol 3
    Batman & The Outsiders vol 1
    Epic Daredevil vol 3
    Chew vol 12
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm really stoked for that Kamandi series
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Greg said:

I'm really stoked for that Kamandi series

It sounds amazing,
    "Each issue will end with an unimaginable cliffhanger, and it’s up to the next creative team to resolve it before creating their own."
    Too bad Didio has to get his grubby mitts on it though.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Just a few special items above and beyond my usual list:

CEREBUS IN HELL #1
    RIVERDALE #1
    BLACK HAMMER Giant-Sized Annual
    HELLBOY Winter Special 2017 (Paul Grist!)
    THE KAMANDI CHALLENGE #1
    MASTERS OF SPANISH COMIC BOOK ART HC (David is a friend, and a great artist in his own right, and he knows this material backward and forward.)
    LOOSE ENDS #1
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I recently picked up the Supergirl coloring book (of course you did, Al!) so the Batgirl coloring book is likely to get nabbed as well as that 50 year Batgirl retrospective or whatever it was.

Thinking about that Masters of Spanish Comic Book Art as well. I have pretty much all the Vampirella covers as it is, but not much of the other titles.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This interesting tale will be solicited NEXT month (from BOOM! & DC)

• Options
    A few titles that have piqued my interest

Riverdale #1
    Dark Horse Number Ones TPB
    Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Pellucidar: At the Earth’s Core TPB
    Freelance #1
    Cerberus in Hell #1
    James Bond Felix Leiter #1
    Masters of Spanish Comic Art HC
    Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 #1
    Future Quest TPB #1
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited November 2016
    Time to cut the cord with IDW. $7.99 for a 48 page annual for ROM or Micronauts?!?!? I've been pretty underwhelmed with both to begin with.

ETA: IDW is calling it their Annual Offensive, which is awesome, because I'm finding it completely offensive.
  • Options
    Here's the order as it stands right now. I've had a few big orders the past few months so I'm on a serious push to keep them low for the forseeable future:

DC Goodies
    Supergirl #5 Var Ed
    Scooby Apocalypse TP Vol 01 - May dump it for something else
    Injustice Gods Among Us Year Five TP Vol 01
    Batgirl An Adult Coloring Book TP

Manga Goodies
    Nisekoi False Love GN Vol 19
    Nichijou GN Vol 06
    Holy Corpse Rising GN Vol 02 - May dump it for something else
    Dorohedoro GN Vol 20 (MR)

Indie Goodies
    Red One HC Vol 02 Undercover (MR)
  • Options
    What have you thought of Red One?
  • Options

What have you thought of Red One?

I enjoyed it, because I like the Dodsons' work in general. I like their chutzpah to put out two issues and go right to trade (but making it oversized and hardcover and with extras thrown in). This one falls right in line with that - next two issues, hardcover, etc.

The story itself is fun, too, although they're keeping you guessing as to just what side the main character is one throughout it.
  • Options
    I'm similar in my feelings towards it, but it wasn't reviewed very well and I stopped after the first arc. Just wanted your thoughts.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'm also looking at that Tales From The Darkside HC from Joe Hill. Did anyone here pick up floppies from this mini-series? Feedback?

Also looking at the Behaving Madly HC, also from IDW (200 pages of never reprinted material by Bill Elder, Jack Davis, John Severin, Al Jaffee, Joe Maneely, Jack Kirby, Ross Andru, Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, Bob Powell, Howard Nostrand, Basil Wolverton, Steve Ditko, Lee Elias, and many others. This coffee table art book is produced by comic strip historian Ger Apeldoorn and Eisner-winner Craig Yoe.) You see this @nweathington?

Also almost overlooked the Black Hammer Giant Sized Annual and an all-new indie title, Knight Guardians of Relativity and God Country (from the creators of Buzzkill)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited November 2016

Also looking at the Behaving Madly HC, also from IDW (200 pages of never reprinted material by Bill Elder, Jack Davis, John Severin, Al Jaffee, Joe Maneely, Jack Kirby, Ross Andru, Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, Bob Powell, Howard Nostrand, Basil Wolverton, Steve Ditko, Lee Elias, and many others. This coffee table art book is produced by comic strip historian Ger Apeldoorn and Eisner-winner Craig Yoe.) You see this @nweathington?

Yeah, I saw it. There's some good material there, but the writing (what I've read of it anyway) is not at the same level as the Harvey Kurtzman-era Mad stuff. Ger is a good guy and knows his stuff, though (we came close to working on a couple of things together that just didn't pan out), so I’m sure it will be worthwhile reading. But I'll probably pass on it unless I can find it at a deep discount down the road.
  • Options
    Okay. I'm probably also going to wait and get it on the secondary market, but curious. Are you saying Ger and Craig can be counted on to produce something quality there?
  • Options

Okay. I'm probably also going to wait and get it on the secondary market, but curious. Are you saying Ger and Craig can be counted on to produce something quality there?

Craig will make sure the production values are top-notch, and Ger can provide plenty of good background material about the work, so yeah, I expect it will be a nice book from a historical perspective. I'm just saying that most of the stories that will be presented, despite the great art, simply aren’t on the same level as the Kurtzman Mad.
  • Options
    For those keeping score I dumped the Batgirl coloring book and the Scooby Apocalypse book for the Batgirl 50 year celebration HC book. I'd rather have that, I think.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

For those keeping score I dumped the Batgirl coloring book and the Scooby Apocalypse book for the Batgirl 50 year celebration HC book. I'd rather have that, I think.

I'll make the adjustment on the official scorecard. I think that will go down as a double to the left field gap. ;)
  • Options
    Hello @pants - there's only one week left before DCBS orders can no longer be edited have you and @wildpigcomics @ShaneKelly and @Adam_Murdough recorded a November Previews episode yet?

All I can say is that whenever I listen to it, I always alter my order a bit...
  • Options

Hello @pants - there's only one week left before DCBS orders can no longer be edited have you and @wildpigcomics @ShaneKelly and @Adam_Murdough recorded a November Previews episode yet?

All I can say is that whenever I listen to it, I always alter my order a bit...

It's been recorded! Comin' your way tomorrow!
  • Options
    So every now and then I like to go through DCBS' Clearance aisle (just type "Clearance" in the search engine at the top), and find some issues I've missed or first issues of series I want to check out in trade later on. The only catch is that once you add a clearance book to your order, you can't remove it of your own accord. It's on your order.

I added these books. None were more than 99 cents. Some were as low as 35 cents to a quarter.

Vision #3
    Vision #2
    Shadow Vol 2 #1
    Red Thorn #1 (MR)
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1
    Last Gang In Town #1
    Kaptara #1
    Jacked #1 (of 6) (MR)
    Delinquents #1
  • Options