Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Movie News: Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2

Comments

• HexHex Posts: 944

The movie has "a" Mantis...but not THE Mantis. Not sure why they gave her full-blown antennae, and not just the cool strands of hair she had in the comics. But hey...Hollywood knows better, right?

imageThis version of "Mantis" Looks more like Bug (or his ladyfriend), than the actual Mantis. But I'm not gonna quibble... Live action Mantis in a big budget Hollywood feature!?! what a world. Fingers crossed she survives this one to hit on Vision during the upcoming Infinity War movie.
  • Loved, loved, loved the trailer!
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited December 2016
    Hex said:

This version of "Mantis" Looks more like Bug (or his ladyfriend), than the actual Mantis. But I'm not gonna quibble... Live action Mantis in a big budget Hollywood feature!?! what a world. Fingers crossed she survives this one to hit on Vision during the upcoming Infinity War movie.

Now if they brought Bug or Arcturus Rann or Marionette or any of the non-legally bound Micronauts in (now that I think IDW owns the name)...hoo boy! I don't think I'm ready for that... :)

But I'd love to see it...

The physical appearance of Mantis doesn't really matter to me. I knew flat out they couldn't have two green-skinned females in the movie. My hope is that we get some of the basic things that were written about her (referring to herself as "Mantis" or more importantly "This One", for example). I can't see them following the whole Celestial Madonna concept - too much 'splaining to be done and as much as I love her, she's a side-character, not a star.

Maybe later, as you say, during Infinity War. *IF* she survives this one, of course. :)

• Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited December 2016
    Torchsong said:

The physical appearance of Mantis doesn't really matter to me. I knew flat out they couldn't have two green-skinned females in the movie.

The comic book Mantis only had green skin following her "ascension" to Celestial Madonna. Before that, she had regular ol' human skin color.

Believe me, I don't look to movies for absolute faithfulness to the source material, but if they're going to use Mantis, they should at least make her human. If not, they might as well just call her "Jasmine" (Bug's girlfriend). Believe it or not, names actually MEAN something, despite your view on the matter.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884

Torchsong said:

The physical appearance of Mantis doesn't really matter to me. I knew flat out they couldn't have two green-skinned females in the movie.

The comic book Mantis only had green skin following her "ascension" to Celestial Madonna. Before that, she had regular ol' human skin color.

Believe me, I don't look to movies for absolute faithfulness to the source material, but if they're going to use Mantis, they should at least make her human. If not, they might as well just call her "Jasmine" (Bug's girlfriend). Believe it or not, names actually MEAN something, despite your view on the matter.

This guy totally agrees.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884

Wrong company.

Oh, I know. But that doesn't make HIM feel any better about it!
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I vaguely remember the exact details of MANTIS, but I agree, this movie shows no signs of the exoskeleton that enables Dr. Miles Hawkins to walk. And that character sounds nothing like J'onn J'onzz either!

Believe me, I don't look to movies for absolute faithfulness to the source material, but if they're going to use Mantis, they should at least make her human.

Why?

Is it integral to her character that she be human?
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Torchsong said:

Hex said:

This version of "Mantis" Looks more like Bug (or his ladyfriend), than the actual Mantis. But I'm not gonna quibble... Live action Mantis in a big budget Hollywood feature!?! what a world. Fingers crossed she survives this one to hit on Vision during the upcoming Infinity War movie.

Now if they brought Bug or Arcturus Rann or Marionette or any of the non-legally bound Micronauts in (now that I think IDW owns the name)...hoo boy! I don't think I'm ready for that... :)

You've just blown my mind. A Micronauts movie set in the MMU using the first twelve issues as a template?!?!!?!?!!?
    aquatroy said:

You've just blown my mind. A Micronauts movie set in the MMU using the first twelve issues as a template?!?!!?!?!!?

I think the legal issues would absolutely kill it before it got off the ground. They couldn't use Karza, Acroyear, Bio- or Microtron, or anything else that was part of the toy line, and they couldn't even call it Micronauts because that's owned by another company now.

What they (Marvel) *do* still own are the characters Mantlo created for the series - Bug, Rann, Marionette, Slug, Huntarr, Devil - and a few of those guys showed up a few years back as Enigma Force as part of the Fall of the Hulks storyline.

Sadly, I think such a movie would only appeal to people like you and me, so the box office would be almost nonexistent. But an easter egg where they show up in GotG movie? Yeah, that'd be sweet. :)

• Torchsong said:

Believe me, I don't look to movies for absolute faithfulness to the source material, but if they're going to use Mantis, they should at least make her human.

Why?

In my opinion it is. Using your logic, why make Groot a tree-creature...or Rocket a raccoon? Why make Starlord human? Why not make Gamorra purple? Or Drax a woman? At what point does a character cease to be that character? You obviously have a pretty high threshold.

Torchsong said:

Why?

In my opinion it is. Using your logic, why make Groot a tree-creature...or Rocket a raccoon? Why make Starlord human? Why not make Gamorra purple? Or Drax a woman? At what point does a character cease to be that character? You obviously have a pretty high threshold.
    I still haven't gotten over Drax being a different shade of green & the Infinity gems being stones/substances instead.

Damn those tweaks!!

https://youtu.be/Ru15gK4BMC4

M
    edited December 2016

I prefer to think of it as a "wider acceptance" ;)

It's comics. Things change.

Mantis is in this.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    edited December 2016
    Torchsong said:

aquatroy said:

I think the legal issues would absolutely kill it before it got off the ground. They couldn't use Karza, Acroyear, Bio- or Microtron, or anything else that was part of the toy line, and they couldn't even call it Micronauts because that's owned by another company now.
    Disney has deep pockets. If they felt they could spin it around for profit, they would shell out the cash and buyout the properties. Look at what they paid for Marvel vs. how much they have pulled in from the films. I'm pretty sure Disney is the winner.
    Think of the windfall from "micronauts" spin off merchandising alone. Far fetched, yes, but money can make anything happen.
    Hex said:

Disney has deep pockets. If they felt they could spin it around for profit, they would shell out the cash and buyout the properties. Look at what they paid for Marvel vs. how much they have pulled in from the films. I'm pretty sure Disney is the winner.
    Think of the windfall from "micronauts" spin off merchandising alone. Far fetched, yes, but money can make anything happen.

I want you to be right on this more than a lot of things I want people to be right about. :)
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hex said:

Disney has deep pockets. If they felt they could spin it around for profit, they would shell out the cash and buyout the properties.

Disney does have deep pockets and would shell out the cash if they could make money. Just like they're considering tinkering with ESPN who lost nearly 1.2 million subscribers in just the last 2 months. If it isn't going to make money, Disney will dump it and move on.

Torchsong said:

So will you not see Captain Marvel if the rumors are true, and she has a tweaked origin to not seem like Hal Jordan?
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

So will you not see Captain Marvel if the rumors are true, and she has a tweaked origin to not seem like Hal Jordan?

Are we talking about Carol Danvers Captain Marvel?

As long as we get some iteration of these variations, I'll be tickled.

To me, it's absolutely imperative they include the storyline where she marries her own son that she then has her son with. Without that, the character is utterly a waste of time.

:)

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Trailer was a lot of fun. And this is going to be huge
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Can't get here soon enough.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    kiwijase said:

I'll see this for the visuals. Like the previous film, the production design seems to be referencing a lot of 1970's science fiction art. Got themselves a pretty strong Jim Burns/Chriss Foss vibe going on here.

Chris Foss worked on the first movie, I've not heard yet if he's working on this one.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508

International trailer released:

I saw that trailer in the theater the other day in Fukuoka before the Doctor Strange movie. It's interesting to me that they cut out the ending Mantis scene and what I thought was the funniest line. Wasn't it something like: "You have a nuclear bomb in your bag, if anyone's gonna have tape it's you!"
    It could indeed be "Her"! Good catch!
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I'm of the mind that Vision is the MU's Adam Warlock. However, bringing Her into the MU could be a good way to explain why the Collector has a cocoon.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Could be "Her." I'm wondering who all the gold skinned people around "Her" would be? Have they changed the character to be part of an alien race? Or are all of those people artificially created like "Her?" So. Many. Questions!