Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Spoilers) Seen it? Discuss it here!

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I really enjoyed the movie. Felicity Jones is captivating, the other actors were excellent also, and the storyline was very interesting. Other people have compared it to a WWII movie, and I agree with that.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    From the blue milk to being able to see light pass through the eyes in Vader's mask..so many easter eggs and nods to the fans.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Loved the movie and the Darth Vader scene was worth the price of admission.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    David_D said:

There is some lead-up conversation and non-spoiler reviews in the old discussion here, eventually to be combined with this discussion.

Have at it!

I find your lack of amalgamation...disturbing.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Best. Droid. Ever.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Marathon said:

David_D said:

There is some lead-up conversation and non-spoiler reviews in the old discussion here, eventually to be combined with this discussion.

Have at it!

I find your lack of amalgamation...disturbing.
    It is. . . not ready. Not ready to begin the amalgamation.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I saw it a few days ago. An impressive piece of entertainment that adds texture and weight to the Star Wars cinematic universe. After seeing it, I went home and watched A New Hope, then Revenge of the Sith for the first time in a while, and it was a wonderful feeling to rewatch two of my favourite Star Wars flicks while simultaneously thinking of the imagery I had just seen in Rogue One.
    The only quibble I have would be with the digital Grand Moff Tarkin, which simply failed to convince.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    kiwijase said:

I saw it a few days ago. An impressive piece of entertainment that adds texture and weight to the Star Wars cinematic universe. After seeing it, I went home and watched A New Hope, then Revenge of the Sith for the first time in a while, and it was a wonderful feeling to rewatch two of my favourite Star Wars flicks while simultaneously thinking of the imagery I had just seen in Rogue One.
    The only quibble I have would be with the digital Grand Moff Tarkin, which simply failed to convince.

Tarkin was obviously CGI but I was actually impressed with how well he was done. Leia, on the other hand, was lost in the uncanny valley.
  • Options
    Tarkin I had no real issue with other than I think they made him taller than Cushing actually was...but then again, Cushing always worked with Christopher Lee, who could make anyone look tiny. Leia was the tougher sell. I think the scene might have worked if they'd just had her hand take the tapes and deliver the line. I don't think anyone in the theater really needed to see her face.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

kiwijase said:

Tarkin was obviously CGI but I was actually impressed with how well he was done. Leia, on the other hand, was lost in the uncanny valley.
    Cushing's angular, aged face was far more forgiving to the process than was Fisher's round, youthful one.
  • Options
    Of all the things I love about this film, and there are many, number one is how many nameless characters had hero moments.

Ultimately, that is what this movie was about, giving nameless heroes faces.
  • Options
    My son and his friend were surprised when I told them Tarkin was CGI and dead. I think people who know that was CGI probably had a harder time reconciling it.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I think, there might have been a very subtle spoiler for episode 8 hidden in this film, let me take you down the rabbit-hole.

When the team go to get the Death Star plans, to get through the shield gate they use a captured imperial shuttle with registration code SW0608.

SW06 = Star Wars Episode 6 Return of the Jedi - where a captured imperial shuttle is also used to infiltrate an imperial base.

So what about the 08 part of the code? Spoiler for a plot-point in episode 8? or do I just need to cut down on the caffeine?
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the movie I loved how it tied into the original trilogy plus K2-SO was awesome and also was good as I got to see it last tuesday in IMAX as I won the O2 priority competition.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Not gonna lie... I loved this so much I was a little teary at the end.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I have an unbearable urge to go out right now and buy a ton of Rogue One action figures.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I have an unbearable urge to go out right now and buy a ton of Rogue One action figures.

Wife and I went out that day from seeing it and got the droid. First SW action figures bought since the prequels.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I do realize the given the light of the news about Carrie Fisher the following seems rather piffle. But, here are my thoughts on the movie.

I do mention what happened as the news broke while I was editing it.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Did anyone else notice the Rebels easter eggs?
  • Options
    It was a bit disappointing to me, too much predictable stuff in the movie. Also, didn't like the gritty approach. But hey, it's a SW movie, so it's still a lot of fun!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited January 2017
    Finally got to see the movie this morning. The multiple pens were a distraction on the uniforms. Did anyone else think Vadar's suit looked off when we first saw him? It looked like they got a cheap copy of the original. Other thing I wondered; wouldn't Cassian's beard tip off he's not an Imperial officer? And how did Rook's look get through Imperial dress codes?

I'm kind of undecided with what I thought. Still processing the movie, which is a rarity for a movie I knew the whole plot going into it.

I'm curious how the reshot happy ending went. I'm glad they kept the original ending. It felt right for the story.

And how does Saw stay unkempt yet still has perfectly white teeth?!

M
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Matt said:

Finally got to see the movie this morning. The multiple pens were a distraction on the uniforms. Did anyone else think Vadar's suit looked off when we first saw him? It looked like they got a cheap copy of the original. Other thing I wondered; wouldn't Cassian's beard tip off he's not an Imperial officer? And how did Rook's look get through Imperial dress codes?

I'm kind of undecided with what I thought. Still processing the movie, which is a rarity for a movie I knew the whole plot going into it.

I'm curious how the reshot happy ending went. I'm glad they kept the original ending. It felt right for the story.

M

I'm not sure that, prior to the reshoots, it was a happier ending. From what I have read about what has been guessed about the reshooting (I think, at least so far, very little has been said or confirmed by those that made the movie-- I would imagine there will be more to find out once there are Blu-Ray special features to sell) there was definitely some big differences to the finale. And we see images of the whole group (or almost the whole group) together running through the water, and Jyn has the Death Star plans. But I would be surprised if the differences actually made for a happier ending. I doubt they actually shot a version where they survived. Supposedly that only happened in the very first treatment, before the studio notes that 'weren't they all going to die?' gave them the reinforcement that, oh, Disney is actually going to let us make THAT movie.

Most of the talk, I think including some on the record quotes in EW or other places, suggested that the reshoots were actually meant to lighten things up a bit.

So my guess, and it is only a guess, is that the ending they originally shot brings the group back together, and they actually ALMOST make it out of there, and then the Death Star makes sure they don't. And I am guessing that cut actually played as darker, and potentially harder for the audience to take-- that it all seems like they are going to win and make it, and then there is this final twist that they don't, and it is a surprise.

Whereas the movie we got, I felt like, with the characters spread out, as soon as they start dying, as an audience member, I settled into, 'Oh. Okay. They are all going to die. It's going to be that.' And the tension of 'will they make it?' releases, and instead you know you are now going to see the moments of heroism, sacrifice, and dignity with which they die, no longer wondering if they will or won't. Just how.

And, for me, that actually, strangely, made the series of character deaths a little more gentle. Especially Jyn and Andor. They aren't running from it, or struggling against anything. They have accepted. For me-- and maybe this is also because of the familiar Giacchino sad piano music-- but it reminded me of some of the skillfully handled character deaths on Lost. Usually (not always) those were done in ways that didn't feel like they were trying to surprise or shock you as an audience member. Rather, once you got the feeling that, 'Ok. This is going to be the story of how XXXXX dies', it would be telegraphed, and emotional, but you were also taken care of as an audience member. You indulged in what was sad or tragic or noble about it (while sad piano music played) but it wasn't a surprise, the rug pulled out from under you right when you think it is going to be ok.

Again, just a guess. But I am very curious to know what some of the earlier cuts were like. It will be interesting to see how much of that we ever get to find out.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

Matt said:

M

I'm not sure that, prior to the reshoots, it was a happier ending. From what I have read about what has been guessed about the reshooting (I think, at least so far, very little has been said or confirmed by those that made the movie-- I would imagine there will be more to find out once there are Blu-Ray special features to sell) there was definitely some big differences to the finale. And we see images of the whole group (or almost the whole group) together running through the water, and Jyn has the Death Star plans. But I would be surprised if the differences actually made for a happier ending. I doubt they actually shot a version where they survived. Supposedly that only happened in the very first treatment, before the studio notes that 'weren't they all going to die?' gave them the reinforcement that, oh, Disney is actually going to let us make THAT movie.

Most of the talk, I think including some on the record quotes in EW or other places, suggested that the reshoots were actually meant to lighten things up a bit.

So my guess, and it is only a guess, is that the ending they originally shot brings the group back together, and they actually ALMOST make it out of there, and then the Death Star makes sure they don't. And I am guessing that cut actually played as darker, and potentially harder for the audience to take-- that it all seems like they are going to win and make it, and then there is this final twist that they don't, and it is a surprise.

Whereas the movie we got, I felt like, with the characters spread out, as soon as they start dying, as an audience member, I settled into, 'Oh. Okay. They are all going to die. It's going to be that.' And the tension of 'will they make it?' releases, and instead you know you are now going to see the moments of heroism, sacrifice, and dignity with which they die, no longer wondering if they will or won't. Just how.

And, for me, that actually, strangely, made the series of character deaths a little more gentle. Especially Jyn and Andor. They aren't running from it, or struggling against anything. They have accepted. For me-- and maybe this is also because of the familiar Giacchino sad piano music-- but it reminded me of some of the skillfully handled character deaths on Lost. Usually (not always) those were done in ways that didn't feel like they were trying to surprise or shock you as an audience member. Rather, once you got the feeling that, 'Ok. This is going to be the story of how XXXXX dies', it would be telegraphed, and emotional, but you were also taken care of as an audience member. You indulged in what was sad or tragic or noble about it (while sad piano music played) but it wasn't a surprise, the rug pulled out from under you right when you think it is going to be ok.

Again, just a guess. But I am very curious to know what some of the earlier cuts were like. It will be interesting to see how much of that we ever get to find out.
    Perhaps I misread the information about the reshoots. I read it as Disney didn't want these characters to die, so there was an alternate ending shot. Disney was convinced to let them die because of the story, so they went with the original ending.

I believe, based on a clip in one of the trailers, Krennic also is seen walking way instead of his platform death.

I agree the deaths did feel similar to those on LOST.
  • Options
    There's some clarification coming from Garett Edwards's podcast interview with Empire. Some quotes from it are covered here:
    http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/rogue-one-13-revelations-director-gareth-edwards/

From that, there was a happy ending version of the script in the early days, but they never shot a version where they lived (though Edwards kept expecting they would ask him to.)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    There were several re-shoot changes. Here is an assembly of shots that were not in the final film, or were altered for the final film.

Apparently the last act changed quite a bit according to these two editors on the film.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I saw the film yesterday and loved it. I enjoyed it far more than I did Force Awakens.

Most of the film looked great. Star Wars does "scale" better than any other franchise and the Death Star visuals really showed it.

The Empire got some added depth and was made to seem like an actual threat. I like that Alderann was not Tarkin's first mass destruction effort. Having his first solution to every problem seemingly be to blow up the problem adds to his character.

The cons for me was that it had some of the same old Star Wars stuff - the records depository that fulfilled the bottomless pit requirement & another movie with a shield generator that needs to be deactivated.

• Options
    Matt said:

The multiple pens were a distraction on the uniforms.

I did get a tad distracted by them the second time I watched it.

They look cool, but if someone would just use one from time to time, I would be thrilled.
  • Options
    Besides the wonderful 70s moustaches and sideburns, I really liked how the data tape cassette had such a period sci-fi look to it. That was a great bit of conscious design. It just looked and felt right.