Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What is your opinion on getting comics signed by the creators?

2»

Comments

• Options
    It's worth close to a million dollars. Standard answer for anything nerdy and collectible no matter how much or how little you have. They won't believe any number you give them anyway but this answer,will make them stay up late at night sometime.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    any pros out there have comments of the effects of heat on comics?
    I'm no pro, but I think you're right to worry about the excessive heat in attics during the summer. Five years ago I moved in July, and thus had my stuff in a POD for 2-3 months, in the dead of summer (as you say!). Sadly, some things were damaged by heat. For example, I've made a few of my own prop replicas, including The Infinity Gauntlet, The Cosmic Cube, and Silver Surfer's surf board. Well, the heat caused the silver paint on the surf board to blister. :( So now I have a "battle-damaged" surf board!

Do you have a vent in the attic? Can you install a fan in the vent to pull out some heat? That's a pretty cheap fix, and I think it would lower your cooling costs overall.

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I'm always surprised when professionals are willing to sign stacks of books where it's clear that the person is just getting them signed to sell them. If I was a pro, I would insist on only signing books personally to the recipient and just a few of them and then keep the line moving!

e
    L nny
    I've heard a few different approaches and opinions on this...

1. lots of creators (artists & writers) have a cap on # of issues they'll sign for free and then its $1 a book. I think I saw Michael Golden do this a few years back (with a cap of 10) I think its a fair number, and you are consuming the guys time, so if you are a fan and you HAVE to have all 40 issues of his run sign you should be willing to pay the guy for his time, that he could be monetizing via sketches/commissions.

2. I think there's also a bit of an ego thing/competition in artists alley. Long lines, guys with tons of books to be signed shows you are the $heet and in demand, and if Marvel/DC are there and see your demand maybe that sticks in their mind when they are trying to find new art tallent/sign new exclusives. I remember Finch back at MCC had no problem with piles of books to be signed (like New Avengers runs) even when he had a huge multi-hour line.

Personally I usually first want signatures in my Hardcovers (with fingers crossed for a sketch). Second would be getting a key book or an unusual comic signed and slabbed via CGC Signature Series authentication. Do I do it with intent to resell? Nope, but I do it to remain as liquid ready as possible. My personal theory is if I'm gonna spend money on a hobby (even one that I get such joy out of) I should be sure to position it so that if I need to liquidate it at some point I want to be able to do it as fast as possible with as much return as possible.

Last year I had George Perez sign my JLA/Avengers Absolute, my Crisis on Infinite Earth Absolute, and my MPHC of Incredible Hulk: The End.

George is back this year at Dragon*con, so Im going to my #2 approach and have George sign an Infinity Gauntlet #1 (Starlin will also be signing it since hes at the con) along with some fun oddball comics: New Teen Titans Blue Ribbon Digest, and two issues of Deadly Hands of Kung Fu one with a Neal Adams cover, and the other with Starlin work (also to be signed by him). Getting all this CGC authenticated.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    any pros out there have comments of the effects of heat on comics? I typically store them, you know, bagged and boarded in longboxes.
    Heat is a bad thing, especially bagged and boarded (that can work against you at times actually). Comics are not made with archival quality anything, some are very acidic on their own, some bags and boards will off-gas or even without that will trap moisture or other unwanted items. You want to store any printed work the same as a museum, stable temp and humidity. Tightly sealed is often the worst thing to do.

I am lucky because my house is built into a hillside so I store my books/comics and collectibles in that section of the house. The temp and humidity stays solid year-round. Definitely try your best to find someplace in your home like this and store they key ones there, it might be a closet even. Minimize heat, humidity (but you need some), and try to allow some airflow and that is the best you can usually do.