Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1696 Talkback - An Interview with Professional Model Builder and Painter Lincoln Wright

In this episode, Bryan Deemer digs into his newest hobby of miniature painting and model building. He speaks with professional model builder and painter Lincoln Wright. Lincoln worked as a pro for 10 years in Japan and now runs a successful YouTube channel and Patreon. Lincoln is enthusiastic and has great stories to tell, so even if model building isn’t your thing, you’re sure to be entertained. (1:13:16)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Really enjoyed this discussion. It was fascinating. And it's always nice to hear the founder -- @brydeemer -- on the mic.

Thanks!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Hey, my dad and I built a Corsair when I was seven or eight—as seen on Baa Baa Black Sheep, which we watched every week. We never painted it though. When I was in my early teens I bought a few kits I found on clearance for cheap—a Panzer, a German half-track, and a machine gun nest with some soldiers—and those I did paint. I even went outside the box and tried to do a desert camo version. They didn't turn out that great, and I never really got all that into it. I had too many other things I was more interested in, I suppose.

Back when I worked at the comic shop, I knew a guy who was heavy into the Gundam models (we ordered Hobby magazines for him). He spent a ton of money on those things. He’d put them together, but for certain ones he'd pay someone to paint them for him. I'll admit, they looked pretty cool when lined up on a shelf.

• Options
    This was such an interesting episode for me for a number of reasons. I have also recently gotten into painting miniatures so it was cool to hear that one of the Geeks had added mini painting alongside his love of comics too. Also, being from Australia it was so much fun to hear an Aussie accent on the show - especially one with such a great story to tell.
    @brydeemer I'd love to see some of the miniatures you've painted - do you have them posted up anywhere?
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I'm glad people are enjoying this episode. Here are some of the miniatures I've completed recently:

BryanDeemer-GoreGrunta - 8 (1)

Orruk Mega Boss

BryanDeemer-NewMinis - 6

Tau Commander

Untitled

BryanDeemer-Alarielle - 2

BryanDeemer-Alarielle - 5
  • Options
    Wow! @brydeemer those are very cool! Apart from the Mecha are they all Warhammer minis? I'm painting the minis from a game I picked up on kickstarter last year - Sword & Sorcery and having a great time doing it.
    I love the airship and the base on the giant beetle. The cobblestones on the Orc rider - were they a part of the base or something you added? I'm trying to work out how to get a good cobblestone look on some bases right now.
  • Options
    Also, @brydeemer I meant to ask - how do you manage such good photos? I'm struggling to get the lighting right but I blame the Aussie sun for that ;-)
  • Options

Also, @brydeemer I meant to ask - how do you manage such good photos? I'm struggling to get the lighting right but I blame the Aussie sun for that ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fnHEvLyAE
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Boy, I thought I had patience but I don't think I'd have enough to paint miniatures. Eventually, I'd just paint the whole thing one color. Anyway, I enjoyed the episode mostly because of hearing about Lincoln's experiences in Japan since I am currently living in Kyushu, Japan. I've been trying to figure out how to move from English teaching into something else, but I don't think miniatures painting is the way to go for me. Haha.
  • Options
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Thanks for post, @nweathington . That's my exact setup. I cut the sides out of a cardboard box, picked up some interfacing from the fabric store to diffuse the light, and added some cheap lights from Wal-mart. Done. It's just that easy and was very cheap.
  • Options
    No problem, Bryan. My wife used parchment paper instead of interfacing, but otherwise made the same light box to photograph the jewelry and sculptures she makes.
  • Options

No problem, Bryan. My wife used parchment paper instead of interfacing, but otherwise made the same light box to photograph the jewelry and sculptures she makes.

@nweathington I’m sorry! I totally missed that it was you and not Mr Deemer that posted the link to that YouTube video! My bad!
    It was super helpful and you even went on to answer a question I had about using parchment paper instead. Much appreciated sir.
  • Options

@nweathington I’m sorry! I totally missed that it was you and not Mr Deemer that posted the link to that YouTube video! My bad!
    It was super helpful and you even went on to answer a question I had about using parchment paper instead. Much appreciated sir.
    No worries @JackofHearts_1066. Glad I could help.