Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Besides comics what else do you collect?

dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
For me I collect the following.

Pez dispensers,I have close to 400 of them and use them to decorate my X-mas tree every year now.

DVD/Blu Rays,Got my first player back in early 98. And last time I bothered to count my collection I was at around 5000.

Action figures,I use to be a hardcore action figure collector. But over the past 6 years I have slacked off. Mainly cause I don't have the room I use to,to display them.

Best Answers

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Answer ✓
    I collect good memories.
  • Options
    JoeSergiJoeSergi Posts: 78
    Answer ✓
    I collect movie soundtracks. I listen to them when I write. Like my comics, I have way too many and not nearly enough. ;-)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Answer ✓
    Ex-girlfriends. :-?
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Answer ✓
    debt
    I am extremely lucky in that I am not in any form of monetary debt currently.
    then you arent collecting comics right...
    :))
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Answer ✓
    Yixing Teapots - Handmade teapots made with a special type of clay that are used for one tea only for their life and take on a persona of their own.

Vinyl Art Toys - Dunnys, Touma, 1:6 scale stuff, resin, and make custom cast and painted toys.

G.I. Joes - I have all of my originals in NM condition from the early 80's as well as my favorites from newer releases. Most in both MOC and opened.

Books - I love 1st editions of my most beloved books and I love to read.

Tea - I have a huge selection and deal in tea but I have some highly prized Puer teas that are aged like fine wines and that I have been caring for for about 10-15 years.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Answer ✓
    Fords: '66 Mustang, '97 Mustang, '02 Ranger, '67 Ex-wife
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Answer ✓
    Comics are the only thing left for me, I parted with just everything that I was collecting.

Baseball cards stopped when all of the talk about steroids started.
    Basketball cards stopped after Sir Charles Barkley retired.
    Football cards, action figures, comic trading cards, card games and rpg books all stopped for no reason other than I was running out of room.
    Wargame miniatures stopped because I can't paint anymore.

On my weekend walks my route takes me around all twelve of the antique shops in town, and I am very close to hunting down a vintage operable or repairable record player and getting back into vinyl records.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Answer ✓
    On my weekend walks my route takes me around all twelve of the antique shops in town, and I am very close to hunting down a vintage operable or repairable record player and getting back into vinyl records.
    Oop, I forgot till your reply, I also collect/restore Pinball machines. Currently on the hunt for a World Cup Soccer '94 and my dream is to own a Medieval Madness.

Vinyl is so nice especially in today's glut of digital music and compression even on CDs... sitting down to some great Jazz, classic rock, or even newer stuff like Sigur Ros on vinyl is a true pleasure. I just helped my dad set up his old rig, a Girard turntable and Harmon Kardon amp and speakers. He had a Roy Buchanan album still in the turntable from when it was used last and it was just sublime. Sadly, though, a lot of newer bands that put out vinyl press the vinyl with the already compressed digital master version so it kind of kills the point... but not all of them do and there is still a lot of great vinyl new and old to be had.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Answer ✓

I like that very much since I'm also on the hunt for a record player. Still got around 200 albums - but my record player didn't make it.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited October 2012 Answer ✓
  • Options
    JGalaJGala Posts: 19
    edited June 2012 Answer ✓
    LPs (records) - books - little figures - and I'm recollecting the orignal 151 pokemon cards ohhhhh yess >.<
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Answer ✓
    Comic book related merch toys and collectables (mainly Batman). Although this has died to almost nothing over the last couple years. Now Im just finishing whatever is left of JLU figures and Im still buying various Batmobiles I happen to find. Working on getting rid of most my other stuff but just too overwhelming.
  • Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    Answer ✓
    Black t-shirts, maps, concert tickets (even though I rarely get to go out anymore), and Schleich/Papo animals (they're for my kids, honest (okay, partly for my kids!).
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Answer ✓
    The souls of the children
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Criterion collection DVDs
    Books about comics history.
    Star wars stuff-but I'm getting tired of star wars
    Tron stuff
    Some trek stuff
    70s/80s anime magazines and art books
    Used to collect soundtracks
    Vangelis
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Answer ✓
    On purpose?

Original published pages from comics
    Commissioned art of my defunct webcomic's lead character
    Batman: Black & White Statues
    Green Lantern Action Figures
    Large Action figures (Hefty or large, things like Marvel Select Juggernaut, that 67 points of articulation figure of Spider-Man from the second movie, Build-a-Figure/Collect 'n Connect, or those "My Size" movie figures that are two and a half feet tall from Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Superman Returns. I have, like, 12 or 14 of those my size figures. It looks like a bizarre army.)

Things that I ended up with a lot of but never actually considered that I was "collecting":

Transformers/Marvel Crossover figures - My family started buying these for me one year. Never asked for them. I mean, they are kinda cool, but don't know what to do with them. I have the first two or three waves.

Superhero bobble heads - Again, the family. I guess it comes from them not quite knowing what to get me... they see a superhero item, and jump at it. It is also the reason I end up with a lot of dollar store crap like Spider-Man pens and Iron Man notebooks.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Answer ✓
    I don't "collect", I "amass" :)

I don't know that I "collect" comics because if I miss an issue it's not the end of the world for me. I used to collect DVDs but then I realized that was a futile pursuit so I stick to just buying maybe 2-3 a year (superhero based, natch).

There's really only one thing the wife and I passionately buy anything we can get our hands on - MST3K merchandise.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Answer ✓
    As a family we have been hitting up Art and Franco for Tiny Titans sketches, and get a Marvel character once in awhile. We have the start of a nice collection going.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Women....

or puppet members of CGS
  • Options
    GrimsisterGrimsister Posts: 35
    Answer ✓
    jewelry
    novelty key chains
    console games
    badges, manga/anime/graphic novels
    Doctor Who stuff
    pictures (JPEG form mainly)...
    Dragon stuff
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Tron stuff
    Some trek stuff
    Vangelis
    I agree @MikeGallagher with the Star Wars thing. I love Star Wars & used to collect a whole lot of stuff but that ceased after a while. I kept on with the books & not the figures or merchandise but my book collection has ceased to a degree. I usually go to the library for book. Although I did have to buy the AT-AT toy when I saw it.

I did go a bit insane on the Marvel build-a-figures and went trying to go back and buying all that stuff but it became too costly and after I got the figures that I wanted.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I collected practically anything star wars I could until 1999 when the prequel broke me. Way too much useless stuff with the same image over and over.
    The novels lost my business post yuzzahn vong.
    The comics usually suck. I have zero interest in the old republic nonsense.
    I dig the clone wars.
    The toys don't do it for me any longer. I had collected only Jedi but that got ridiculous. Then just droids and that was crazy too. Now I occasionally get a figure to add to my death star diorama.
    I still get art books and making of books.

I have been moving more towards star trek. But collecting trek is better by far. It's easier to be picky. And poor. Lol
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Answer ✓
    I'm a Pez head, too. I used to try and get just about everything, but that got to be too much, so now I just mostly go for superheroes, sci-fi, and other geeky ones (I'm all over the new Presidents series, for instance). I don't have any that are too old, nor any of the ones I had as a kid (why didn't I hold onto that soft-headed Batman dispenser I had back then?!? :(( ), but I do have a bunch of Europe-only sets (Asterix, Super Mario, Tom & Jerry, Mr. Bean) and a few random store-specifc ones (an Austrian supermarket named Zielpunkt, Jack in the Box, FAO Schwartz). I need to get the Geico gecko and Chik-Fil-A cow now!
  • Options
    Michael777Michael777 Posts: 15
    Answer ✓
    Tons and tons of imported DragonBall and One Piece products are my main obsession and throw in various nerdy merchandise as well but not a specific focus on any of those. If i see a Simpsons toy that looks god ill pick it up but not go out of my way to bid on ebay for it... now if it's buy it now that's a different story... oh, tattoos too I guess.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Answer ✓
    Figures of Air Commander Starscream!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Answer ✓

If you want I can grab you a Chik-Fil-A cow this upcoming weekend. I am heading to the coast and always stop at a Chik to eat lunch. The oldest Pez I have is an Spiderman from the late 60s,and a Tweety Bird from around the same time. I have cut way back on the ones I buy now. Mainly cause like you said they put out so much. Plus there is lines I have no interest in like the Nascar ones,Disney Princesses and the Tinkerbell ones. Let me know before next Friday if you still want the CFA Cow. I need to track down Mr Bean. I have also been picking up the various Marvel Klix I find at various dollar stores.
    I will definitely take a CFA Cow if you can grab one, @dubbat138, and will gladly reimburse cost and shipping. It'd be much easier than going the eBay route, and we don't have any CFAs out here in Rhode Island (or in New England at all, not that I'm aware of, anyway, though we still get the ads for some reason).
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Answer ✓
    I've started a meager collection of 1/9 scale model kits. I started buying these to use as props for the custom megos I make. However, It's taken on a life of it's own.

Answers

• Options
    I collect movie soundtracks. I listen to them when I write. Like my comics, I have way too many and not nearly enough. ;-)
    I use to collect movie soundtracks. And I still listen to my Twin peaks fire walk with me and tv soundtracks at least once a week.

• Options
    Ex-girlfriends. :-?

LOL I have a decent sized collection of those also.
  • Options
    debt
    I am extremely lucky in that I am not in any form of monetary debt currently.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Spores, molds and fungi.
    Now THAT is funny!
  • Options
    Tron stuff
    Some trek stuff
    Vangelis
    I agree @MikeGallagher with the Star Wars thing. I love Star Wars & used to collect a whole lot of stuff but that ceased after a while. I kept on with the books & not the figures or merchandise but my book collection has ceased to a degree. I usually go to the library for book. Although I did have to buy the AT-AT toy when I saw it.

I did go a bit insane on the Marvel build-a-figures and went trying to go back and buying all that stuff but it became too costly and after I got the figures that I wanted.
    As a kid I managed to get all but 4 of the original line of Kenner Star Wars action figures. And for a few years I was buying all the various SW novels. Then as a stupid teen I took fireworks and blew up all my action figures and Star Wars vehicles. But after the prequels my love of Star Wars diminished. So I ended up giving away most of my Star Wars novels. And now the only Star Wars stuff I have is all the Pez dispensers. A complete set of the Burger King glasses for the original 3 films. And about 8 of the novels that I kept.