Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1758 Talkback - Micro-Spotlight on Justice League of America #183-185

i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
edited March 2020 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs

Presenting a new type of CGS episode, in which the Geeks review brief-but-important story arcs selected from throughout comics history. Is it a Spotlight or a Book of the Month or... IS IT BOTH?? First, we train our gaze on a classic JLA/JSA team-up from 1980, 'Crisis on New Genesis' (Justice League of America [Vol. 1] #183-185), featuring Jack Kirby's New Gods and the first-ever JLA artwork by George Perez. (Devotees of The Crisis Tapes, tune your vibro-towers to this frequency!) (1:01:52)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    @wildpigcomics -- Adventure Comics #462: "The Death of Batman!"

This is a great issue (as I remember it), and it's in the middle of an 8-issue run of oversized "Dollar Comics" that included 5 different series, if memory serves, from 459-466. Those first larger issues included the finale of the New Gods story from Gerry Conway and Don Newton that @Adam_Murdough alluded to in the episode. Also included, throughout this run, were stories with Flash, Wonder Woman, the Justice Society, Deadman (Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez art!), Plastic Man, and others. Good stuff, all around.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The Fiddler and Icicle were members of the second Golden Age version of the Injustice Society (along with The Wizard, Sportsmaster, and The Huntress). The Shade didn’t become a member until the 1975 JLA/JSA crossover.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited January 2020

This is a great issue (as I remember it), and it's in the middle of an 8-issue run of oversized "Dollar Comics" that included 5 different series, if memory serves, from 459-466.

Thank you for posting, @ChrisBeckett, was about to do it myself :smiley: I think the podcast said it's a two part story, but the Bill Jensen arc really spans three issues. And #462, above, might be favorite single issue comic book ever. Fantastic writing and artwork, and a mature story which hit me when I was just eight or nine years old. It introduced me to DC's multiverse, and to the idea that comic books could be aimed at readers older than I was, so it really amped my respect for the medium and my hunger to read more of it. #462 is the first time I ever cried while reading a comic.
  • Options
    I love this new format, like a snack-sized BotM. I hadn't read these issues before, but I'm always happy to read more New Gods material.