Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Comic Geek Speak Best of 2023 Nominations Thread ( SUBMISSIONS DUE 3/10/24)

UPDATE - Deadline now extended to Sunday, March 10th at 11:59pm ET!

Awards season is upon us! That means it's time for the Comic Geek Speak Best of 2023 Awards, and time for YOU, our listeners, to take part in the nominations process! Here are the categories:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2023)

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2023)

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2023)

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2023)

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series)

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2023)

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION)

BEST WRITER

BEST ARTIST

BEST WRITER/ARTIST

BEST COLOR ARTIST

BEST LETTERER

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2023 (cannot have won the award previously)

To participate, submit your ballot via e-mail to bestof@comicgeekspeak.com by 11:59 pm (EST), Sunday, March 10, 2024. Please make a nomination in AT LEAST EIGHT of the above-listed categories, and select only ONE nominee per category! Whatever receives the greatest number of listener nominations in each category will be included on the final ballot along with the Geeks' own nominees, and there will then be one last round of voting after that to choose our overall Best of 2023.

If you'd like to share your list of nominees publicly, please feel free to do it here in this thread, but be aware that posting such lists here DOES NOT COUNT as voting; you must submit your ballot via e-mail for it to be counted as part of the official listeners' nomination process!

Comments

• Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited February 16

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2023) - Junk Rabbit, Image Comics

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2023) - The Harrower, Boom! Studios

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2023) - Oddly Pedestrian Life of Christopher Chaos - Dark Horse

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2023) - Eight Billion Genies, Image Comics

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT - Svengoolie: Lost in Time, Frank Miller Presents

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Superman uses Brainiac's portal, Superman: Age, DC

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) - Superman: Space Age, DC

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - Space Between, Boom! Studios

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2023) - Something is Killing the Children, Boom! Studios

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) - Human Target, volume 2, DC

BEST WRITER - James Tynion IV, SiKtC, Christopher Chaos, and others, various publishers

BEST ARTIST - Greg Smallwood, Human Target, DC

BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Terry Moore, Parker Girls and After Dark, Abstract Studios

BEST COLOR ARTIST - Trish Mulvihill, Flash and others, DC

BEST LETTERER - Torn. I'm going with Chris Crank, Eight Billion Genies, Image just over Simon Bowland, Sandman: Glass House, DC

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2023 (cannot have won the award previously) - Danny Earls, artist

And if I may be allowed to lobby a bit, I nominate Trish Mulvihill every year, but she gets no attention, despite wonderful work and a decades-long contribution to comics. This year, she's working on the well-regarded Flash run. Just take a look at these colors! She deserves to be in the mix.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 22

Mulvihill is a great colorist, she's just never been in my top five. This year I'd put Jason Wordie’s coloring on Wes Craig’s creator-owned Kaya at the top of the heap.

• Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited March 23

I've been a fan ever since 100 Bullets, and she's the only colorist whose name in the credits will convince me to buy a book. That said, I can't argue with the choices on the final ballot. All are very talented colorists.