Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

'Dredd' Trailer

This should definitely banish the ghosts of that horrible Stallone mess.
youtu.be/PifvRiHVSCY

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Looks great and the film has the John Wagner seal of approval
  • Options
    Thats looks pretty good. There's a few things that bother me though. One, it all looks a bit drab and grey. In my head Mega City One is grimy and dirty but oddly quite colourful like a rainbow trampled by a million dirty boots. (sorry getting a bit poetic there)
    Two, it all looks too realistic. It should all be a little more way out there and quirky. Three, where's the humour? Dredd is a funny book, albeit in a more satirical way. Maybe its too early to judge (haha) the film by the trailer. I'm still very intrigued by it though.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I think it has potential. Everyone is all bent out of shape from the trailer but its just one trailer and I find it hard to judge the tone of a movie off of one trailer. I agree with monkey010101 that it should be more out there but every adaption turns the original into something different so who knows if it will be for better or worse.
  • Options
    I agree. Those were just my initial thoughts but it was intiguing enough that I really want to see it. Some of the humour and daftness might come out more in a second trailer. Quite often they're edited to appeal to as wider audience as possible. Karl Urban seemed to capture Dredd pretty well though.
  • Options
    I really liked the trailer, except for the absence of humor. If I was describing the comics to someone, I would say violence, humor, science fiction, social commentary, in that order.

Looked cool, tho. Urban looks promising.
  • Options
    That is the dredd movie I want to see!!!!
    Omg I am sooooo excited!!!!!!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This trailer has me semi-interested. And I'm someone who barely cares about Dredd.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I will have to go see this in a good theater. F*** Stallone!
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    The Stallone one had good designs,the city,the uniform etc,but this new one looks nice and gritty,oh and nice helmet ;)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Never read a Dredd book, but I gotta see this.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I have very little knowledge of the character. My exposure is limited to the old crossovers with batman and the stalone movie (which I actually liked). Ill say first iam interested in this but all the images I've seen and now the trailer, it looks bland and kinda silly. The costumes look a Liitle cheap and the star looks like a kid playing dress up and trying to act tough.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Nice! I like the matter of fact way that Karl Urban delivers his lines. However, the smokey whisper reminds me of Alec Baldwin's Bonefish Grill radio spots. I can almost hear Dredd describe something as "perfect as a unicorn's tears".
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Thats looks pretty good. There's a few things that bother me though. One, it all looks a bit drab and grey. In my head Mega City One is grimy and dirty but oddly quite colourful like a rainbow trampled by a million dirty boots. (sorry getting a bit poetic there)
    Two, it all looks too realistic. It should all be a little more way out there and quirky. Three, where's the humour? Dredd is a funny book, albeit in a more satirical way. Maybe its too early to judge (haha) the film by the trailer. I'm still very intrigued by it though.
    I read the screenplay. The typical Dredd dark humor is in there. But it's a trailer...don't want to give too much away. And the city scape looks exactly how a Ron Smith (Legendary Dredd artist) drawn mega-City One would look like.
  • Options
    I think it has potential. Everyone is all bent out of shape from the trailer but its just one trailer and I find it hard to judge the tone of a movie off of one trailer. I agree with monkey010101 that it should be more out there but every adaption turns the original into something different so who knows if it will be for better or worse.
    Believe me...if they kept te screenplay 90% intact while making this movie...it will be a near perfect Dredd movie and not that horrible drek that tried to pass itself off as a Dreed movie. It makes Stallones effort look like the 60's Batman show. (I love the 60's batman show...but notwith Dredd!)
  • Options
    Mike! You'll be really happy. There is some great moments in the screenplay. Did you notice that the city blocks have names on 'em ...Sternhammer, Ezquerra etc. Oh, and one of the screens mentions a 'Fergie Memorial' in it...not te Douche Bigalow Fergie...but the one the overthrewCal. There will be lots of nods to hardcore fans.
  • Options
    The Stallone one had good designs,the city,the uniform etc,but this new one looks nice and gritty,oh and nice helmet ;)
    The city was the best thing in the Stallone movie. As for designs...shit! Gold fucking codpiece...it was shit...that's what they get for having Ver- fucking- sace design it. Horrible design.
  • Options
    Nice! I like the matter of fact way that Karl Urban delivers his lines. However, the smokey whisper reminds me of Alec Baldwin's Bonefish Grill radio spots. I can almost hear Dredd describe something as "perfect as a unicorn's tears".
    It's Urban trying to do his best Clint impression. Dredd was based on Clint Eastwood especially 'Dirty Harry'. Heck, Dredd in the early years lived in 'Rowdy Yates' block.

They movie has an early 'Dredd' look to it. Like the Judge system is new. It will be interesting to finally see it.
  • Options
    Mike! You'll be really happy. There is some great moments in the screenplay. Did you notice that the city blocks have names on 'em ...Sternhammer, Ezquerra etc. Oh, and one of the screens mentions a 'Fergie Memorial' in it...not te Douche Bigalow Fergie...but the one the overthrewCal. There will be lots of nods to hardcore fans.
    I noticed!
    There was so much in that trailer that non dredd heads are not seeing.
    Urban was a terrific choice. The uniform is not perfect but if they had exactly the comics version it would look ridiculous. Tho those costumes 2000ad sell are sweet.

Is Anderson in it? I think I read Hershey is in it.
    Maybe judge fish? Lol
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Thanks for the info Flintlockjaw this has me excited without having to be too afraid.
  • Options
    The city was the best thing in the Stallone movie. As for designs...shit! Gold fucking codpiece...it was shit...that's what they get for having Ver- fucking- sace design it. Horrible design.
    Ok I won't bother putting my opinion up no.more,am sick of being shotdown.
    Have fun.
  • Options

Is Anderson in it? I think I read Hershey is in it.
    Maybe judge fish? Lol
    Olivia Thirlby plays the rookie Judge Anderson who gets trapped in the city-block with Dredd.
    Except the Judges are not locked in there with the perps.
    The perps are locked in there with Dredd.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    Have fun.
    It's funny that underneath every one of your posts someone has selected the dislike badge.

I hope you stick around. The forums need more fem representation.
  • Options
    I love Lena Headey. She's afraid of nothing.
  • Options
    Have fun.
    It's funny that underneath every one of your posts someone has selected the dislike badge.

I hope you stick around. The forums need more fem representation.
    Yeah. What rebis said. I have no beef with ya. The Stallone movie was awful in lots of ways...the design the least of it. And like I said...the city looked very mcmahon/Ezquerraesque.

Stick around. Don't mind me...I'm a grumpy old f**ker anyways...and apologies if you were offended.
  • Options
    A dislike under every one of my posts? Really?.Wow knew it was hard being a female comic fan just didn't know it was worse being on a forum.
  • Options
    I suspect a Jimp.
    The Mega-City one version, not the urban slang variety (although that may be the intent).
  • Options
    Think you'll find its 'gimp'.
  • Options
    A Jimp is a Judge Impersonator.