Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Artist Chat - Tools, Tips, Tricks

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @Torchsong, yes, whatever marker brand if they are double-sided and use a capillary feed and you store them vertically always go the smallest/thinnest side down. Copics use a fully liquid ink/feed so it isn't as critical with them, although I still store mine this way. I can't take credit for that bit of advice, it actually came from a friend that works in vehicle concept design and was told to him by a Prismacolor employee when he mentioned some of his markers seemed dry on the thin side but fine on the chisel side, but not all of them. He checked and all of the "dry" ones were thick side down, he tried it out and verified that it makes a huge difference over time. It was one of those common sense things you'd never think of until someone points it out.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    thought these were neat if not way too short but here's some art tips from DC at SDCC

Darwyn Cooke

http://www.dccomics.com/videos/sdcc-2012-dc-university-with-darwyn-cooke

and Jim Lee

http://www.dccomics.com/videos/sdcc-2012-dc-university-with-jim-lee
  • Options
    @Zhurrie, I couldn't agree more about the Pentel Pocket Brush. It really is a pretty darn good brush in its own right, apart from the portability. I usually use a W&N Series 7 on my pages, but sketches on site when I'm tabling somewhere are always with the Pocket Brush.

@steve_bryant, I noticed in Drawing Words and Writing Pictures that Charles Burns also pencils on both sides of tracing paper as he's developing a panel. I can see that you'd get the value of the old "turn it upside down or look at it in a mirror" trick for getting a new perspective on a drawing, along with just the refinements that come with re-drawing.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just a heads up for any COPIC fans out there -

The Michael's (it's a national arts and crafts store so hopefully there's on in your area) where I live had a Buy 1 Get 1 1/2 off sale on all Copic markers and sets. Not too bad a deal when you consider how much the little bugger are!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Here's a nice process post from Rebecca Dart -- her drawing and inking is quite an inspiration.

Rebecca Dart and her husband Robin Bougie do amazing artwork. I got a great custom sketch from Robin last year of the man from another world (Twin Peaks) as a Ewok.

• Options
    Rebecca Dart's drybrush is amazing.