Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Waffles For Stephanie (Brown)

Hey, if it worked for Spider-Girl! Though... I would encourage putting the waffle in a baggie or something... if its raining or damp, that's going to be gross for the poor delivery guy.

forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?416300-Lets-bring-Steph-to-the-DCnU!!!&p=15366721&viewfull=1#post15366721

Comments

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Hasnt it already been confirmed that Stephanie is coming back in something...

there it is:

Smallville Season 11 #5

maybe a big uptick in the pre-orders next month of Smallville #5 will make DC take notice more than waffles?
  • Options
    Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    I'd heard about that... is she the chick Robin I saw in that teaser image? *googling...*

Nightwing!? Interesting!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Grrrrrrrrr. I really think DC's new slogan ought to be "Look, you'll take what we give you and like it, or else."
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    As someone who has never read the character, I have to ask what is the reason for her appeal How is she different/better than Babs?
  • Options
    I think it's A) Because she's the most recent one, and that they connect with her more because of that, and B) Because her series was well written and fun in the very dark recent DCU. C) Stephanie is a lot younger than Babs, and less experienced, which leaves more potential for character development. D) The more female characters the better, and E) F'ing waffles, and Draculas. I think it's pretty self explanatory.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Sweet syrup and melted butter.
  • Options
    I confess, I'm not much a Stephanie Brown aficionado, but I do have a soft spot for waffles
    (as does my waistline).

Oh, what the heck.

That's hilarious in its own right, but that "Bacon Beneath" co-feature was just a beautiful extra touch! Mind if I steal that for the Batgirl binding I'm working on?
  • Options
    As someone who has never read the character, I have to ask what is the reason for her appeal How is she different/better than Babs?
    For me, its the legacy hero aspect. Same reason I loved the pre-New 52 Red Robin series, the pre-New 52 Kyle Rayner series, and all the torch-carriers since & before Crisis. I just don't dig on a Universe where potential is never achieved. Stephanie had nothing but!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Modern Lover pretty much nailed it. It was a really well-written (and well-drawn) series that showcased a character that for the longest time was a beloved (evidenced by all this outpouring of fandom for her) but decidedly background character who "finally made the big time" and got her own title and was taking center stage. In many ways her book did a good job of giving us a DC version of Spider-Man, where Steph juggled college, keeping her identity a secret, forging friendships and making enemies along the way...

Like Dave2099 said...potential? She had it...but it got swept under the carpet. The only "real" casualty of the whole New52 reboot, imho...

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I confess, I'm not much a Stephanie Brown aficionado, but I do have a soft spot for waffles
    (as does my waistline).

Oh, what the heck.

That's hilarious in its own right, but that "Bacon Beneath" co-feature was just a beautiful extra touch! Mind if I steal that for the Batgirl binding I'm working on?
    Knock yourself out.
  • Options
    Knock yourself out.
    Sweet. Did you do the lettering by hand, or is that a font I can find somewhere?

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Grrrrrrrrr. I really think DC's new slogan ought to be "Look, you'll take what we give you and like it, or else."
    That's probably what it's been all along.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Knock yourself out.
    Sweet. Did you do the lettering by hand, or is that a font I can find somewhere?
    I used freely available fonts, almost all of which can be obtained through Fontspace. The word "bacon" was created by repositioning some of the original letters in the word "beast". The letters "C", "O", and "N' were created using a font called "AB Fangs". I also hand drew over a few of the letters in order to give them the illusion that they were from the same typeset as the letters "B" and the "A". I wasn't sure what font DC used to create the word "Detective". It may be a custom font or possibly not even a font at all. For my purposes, something similar would suffice. A font called, "SF Electrotome" was a fairly close match, so I used it to for the word "Deceptive". The letter "V" was a glaring mismatch, so for that lone letter, I used a font called "Return to Castle". For the sidewise oriented text, "Waffle Crimes", I went with a font called "D3 Egoistism". Like the font used for the word "Deceptive", it wasn't a perfect match, but it was similar enough for my purposes. The same is true of "Limelight", the art Deco font used to create the "BatGirl" text. About the only font I didn't download from FontSpace was the Hiragino Kaki Gothic std. font, which was used to create the "Parody by F2B" text. That font was already installed on my Mac. As you can see by this side-by-side comparison. The substitute fonts aren't perfect matches, but they're very similar.