Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Comics???

So my wife has gractiously agreed to accompany me to Wizard World Chicago in a few weeks. Bless her heart, she's going just to be with me and because comics mean so much to me but honestly has very little interest in the medium. In her defense I've never done a very good job of sharing many details about my hobby with her because I've honestly never shared the hobby with anyone that wasn't already a fan.

Which gets me to my question. There is a lot of discussion about "What book(s) got you into comics..." or "what is a good comic to give to a first time reader", etc. However, I've decided (specifically because I'll be bringing someone not familiar to comics to a Con) to start exploring WHY I love comics so much. Honestly, I don't know that I have a good reason.

First, I think I love the world-building aspect of superhero comics. Marvel and DC history is so vast that there's always new characters to explore. Which then leads to the collector mentality.

Second, I love the fact that comics feel like they're mine. No matter how big The Walking Dead TV show gets, I will always know that I discovered that story with issue#1 and I know more than the general public. I get all the Easter Eggs provided in the superhero movies even though people treat the characters in the new Avengers movie like they're new brand new. I completely understand and embrace the fact that this is the geek in me lashing out. I get that. But I think this sums it up for me. Comics got me through some difficult times when I needed an escape and loved the fact that I could embrace characters in worlds that most people had no knowledge of.

I guess I now have a follow question as well: Why does it feel like comics fandom is so much different than people that are fans of video games, books, sports, etc? Does anyone feel like it's still a "secret hobby"? I guess I'm just trying to figure out the passion that people feel for comics that, in my opinion, is much stonger than the passion that people feel for other hobbies.

I would love to know everyone's thoughts. And I do apologize if this is a re-hashed topic.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    For the chicks.

(Sorry. Couldn't help a joke answer. But I think it is an interesting question and will give some a real answer after I get more work done.)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I love escapism.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Where I grew up, reading comics was nothing to be ashamed of. It's the 9th art - and I'm passionate about art in general. Guess this is not much of a clever answer. Comics are part of our culture. Some like it - some don't.
    That's it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    For me it was the characters. I loved these characters that had awesome powers and could do really cool things with them. I liked the costumes that they had and I liked the stories that I read. There was just something about superheroes that made me want to read more about these cool characters and the adventures they had.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Escapism, pure and simple.

When I was a kid it was wishing I could leap across rooftops like Batman.

When I was a gawky teenager it was wishing Starfire was my girlfriend.

In my twenties it was discovering other types of stories that fell under the comics umbrella, not just guys in tights and women in stripperware.

In my thirties it was enjoying that I could get all the manga a growing boy could possibly get and not have to rely on just a couple companies or importers to get it.

In my forties (now) it's finding I have my own stories to share and still kinda wishing Starfire was my girlfriend! :) (Don't tell my wife!)

I never had a rough childhood in comparison to about 99% of the world out there, but I had my share of bullying (I was the fat kid), and comics were there as an alternative to crappy suburban world I had to endure before I could break free. As an adult, they're still there as an alternative to (sing it with me) "...mortgages and home, I got stiffness in my bones..." :)

• Options
    ThreadKillerThreadKiller Posts: 55
    edited July 2012
    I love escapism.
    Bingo.

Plus, like gragnee mentioned...the world building. When I was a kid, I loved WWF wrestling. The drama, the suspense, the crossover type matches, the cameos when you least expected them. It is all very similar to Marvel Comics, and comics in general; especially the X-Men universe where I started heavily reading in the mid-nineties.

Regarding the hobby of it. I think people can be geeks about many different things. I think there are wrestling geeks that follow that stuff just as voraciously as I follow the Marvel Universe.

I also think it is finally OK for people to admit that they like something A LOT. Extreme love for things used to be viewed as weird (for adults), but now I think most everyone is comfortable sharing their interest, however extreme, with their friends and family.

And yes, when friends who don't read comics see "that guy in space" during the Avengers movie credits...who do you think they consult to learn who he is?!? B-)
  • Options
    I went nuts over the Batman TV show and super heroes in general before kindergarten, and comics were everywhere back then. When you were sick, relatives brought them to you. All kids, even those who didn't care about them, had a few. I was taken in by the art, and copying comics is what started me drawing. From the early seventies into the mid eighties, I got new comics every week. Even when I wasn't buying regularly, I always stopped by the comic shop now and then to see what was out, so I watched them (d)evolve through the nineties. In 2005 I filled out a pull list form, and I've pretty much been back to reading them ever since.

It's in my blood now, and I appreciate it as an art form. I really care nothing for the related merch (figures, cartoons, etc), although I have a few action figures in my studio. Just the comics.

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    G.I. Joe and Transformer (and He-Man, MASK, Thundercats, etc.) were my first loves and I also liked the action figures of Wolverine, Black Spiderman, etc. even though I only occasionally grabbed an actual comic from our local GC Murphys 5&10. Image in the 90s was my style, I always drew and made art and it tended to be darker and more adult than the newsprint paper and primary colored mainstream comics so that really seemed like home to me and people on my same wavelength and it hooked me.

As for my wife, I just try to remember she didn't grow up with a fondness for those things but she did like stuff like Pound Puppies, My Little Pony, Smurfs, Snorks, Disney films, etc. so I keep that in mind and when I come across a comic/book that I think would appeal to her (not just something I love) I have her check it out. The comics with action and violence even minimally tend to not interest her, most comics I love don't, but then I'll share something like Rust, or Scarygirl, or the Inkheart books and she is instantly in love. Finding those ones that cross both of our tastes is fun and rewarding. Also, I take her to the LCS every now and then and have her browse the walls and see what grabs her attention with no input from me. Usually she is drawn to covers to books that she'd never like though but occasionally she picks a good one.

Just don't have any expectations and let her come across some stuff she likes on her own just like we did way back when, we didn't have any guides or even the Internet and we all did OK. We bought crap too, that's how we settled on what we dug.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    More than anything else? I enjoy them. They entertain me and it puts me in a good mood after I've read my comics.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    My love of comics precedes my love of superheroes.

Classics Illustrated, Uncle Scrooge and Casper the Friendly Ghost were as much a part of my education as Dick and Jane.

One of my earliest memories is reading The Washington Post comic strips upside-down while my father sat across the breakfast table reading them upside-up.

The language of comics is hardwired into my brain. When I read Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, most of my reactions were variations of "Well, yeah."

Why comics? Might as well ask "why breathe?"
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Comics are how I leaned to read. Superman #333 is one of my earliest memories.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    Ive read comic books for as long as I could read. When I was a kid it was the uk 'funny' comics like Beano, Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Buster, Topper etc. I got a few american comics like Avengers and X-Men when I was a kid, which I devoured over and over again. I am fascinated by the concept of 'people with powers'. and by the time I got into my early teens with money of my own to spend and after finding a place that sold Marvel and DC, I began to collect seriously. Pretty much up into my early 20's I was the only person I knew who collected comics. It was like this cool universe that only I knew about. I found a comic book store in a nearby town and started getting my comics from there, so I got to get to know the people running the place and it was great to finally geek out over characters I loved and stories I enjoyed.
    I'm an artist and writer now, and I know it's directly from reading comics that my imagination has been expanded and my vocabulary widened. If anyone were to question why I still read them I'd remind them it's how I got where I am today.
  • Options

<:-P
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I wanted to read comics because of the Marvel cartoons from the 60's that were being reran in the 70's. I learned how to read so that I could read comics. My dad had a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #143 that he kept from me until I could read and I've told this story before.

The escapism is big part of it. Even as a kid, being able to escape into those stories was a big deal.

I love comic book art. Doesn't matter if it's an illustrated classic, a war story, superheroes...I love that art medium in all its styles and forms.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Escapism, pure and simple.

When I was a kid it was wishing I could leap across rooftops like Batman.

When I was a gawky teenager it was wishing Starfire was my girlfriend.

In my twenties it was discovering other types of stories that fell under the comics umbrella, not just guys in tights and women in stripperware.

In my thirties it was enjoying that I could get all the manga a growing boy could possibly get and not have to rely on just a couple companies or importers to get it.

In my forties (now) it's finding I have my own stories to share and still kinda wishing Starfire was my girlfriend! :) (Don't tell my wife!)

I never had a rough childhood in comparison to about 99% of the world out there, but I had my share of bullying (I was the fat kid), and comics were there as an alternative to crappy suburban world I had to endure before I could break free. As an adult, they're still there as an alternative to (sing it with me) "...mortgages and home, I got stiffness in my bones..." :)

Al,
    Starfire can still be your girlfriend.
    Just ask your Missus to dress accordingly and ...
    Hey Presto!!!
    It's Starfire!!!

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    My mother said that I learned to read (when I was about to turn 4) from Uncle Scrooge comics. I wanted to read the story but she was busy, so I sat down and puzzled out the words....I still love the Barks comics. I soon also added the Harvey stuff, and then got hooked on Marvel in the mid 70's when I was 12.

The super-hero stuff kept me a fanboy, but I love the potential of the medium. The horror comics from EC and Warren, the crime comics from Ms. Tree to now. The SF comics like American Flagg, Dalgoda and Transmetropolitan. The indy/personal stuff like Pekar, Seth and Crumb.

I read a lot. I mean a LOT. Comics are a part of my diet, but it's the super-hero universes that get to the shop every week. Just like how TCM is where I watch movies because I love THOSE stories, and so on.

I studied myths and legends in college, and it opened my mind up to how important stories and storytelling is to us as thinking beings and to us as a culture. That's why.

OK, that and the chicks with giant boobs.

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I think the "escapism" answer gets a lot of comic book fans in trouble (ok not in trouble but ilicits lots of eye rolling) from the general public because the stereotypical comic geek fan is the asocial, living in the basement, doesnt know how to talk to girls guy who, rather than get some B12 outside and hang out with others, "escapes" into their comic books (Again talking about the long standing stereotype, I know geeks are getting cooler every day). Escapism is something everyone in our culture (for the most part) does in one way or another.

I think comic book fans were just ahead of their time, now people "escape" in millions of different ways: hardcore TV fans (Dr Who, Lost, hell Castle and other more mainstream shows), voracious book (words, no pictures) readers, chronic movie-goers, and video-game enthusiasts, heck people who are on Facebook playing farmville are "escaping". Heck hunters, fishers, rec-league-basketball players, are all "escaping" their real life during their hobby...

I guess my point is, escapism is a level one answer to why, but level two is "why comics?" or "why need an escape?"

my answer to come....
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

I guess my point is, escapism is a level one answer to why, but level two is "why comics?" or "why need an escape?"

my answer to come....
    My answer is here.

• Options

my answer to come....
    My answer is here.

I've seen that referenced in the past, and I think its very true. Super hero comics are our modern myths. They are our Paul Bunyan (sp). They are our Aesop's fables, our Canterbury tales.
  • Options

Al,
    Starfire can still be your girlfriend.
    Just ask your Missus to dress accordingly and ...
    Hey Presto!!!
    It's Starfire!!!

I'm still trying to convince her to dress up like Duo Damsel so I can cosplay as Bouncing Boy the next Con we go to...you gotta admit, we'd be shoe-ins for the roles! :)
  • Options

Final paragraph of my first post should answer the "Why I needed an escape" part. I had my close clutch of friends growing up (many of whom remain my friends today) but by and large I really didn't have much use for the rest of my peers, nor did they for me. I found it way more interesting to read about what the X-Men were doing (or, to be fair, reading David Eddings, Tolkein, Anthony, etc.) than to talk about sports, cars, partying, etc. Because that's not really the fast track to popularity in school (surprise, surprise) you get a lot of flak for it. Which only lead me to want to escape my reality even more...which led to more...blah de blah...

So why comics, then, as opposed to any other form of escape? They're my "vice". I don't take drugs, drink to excess, smoke (occasionally a cigar, but that's it), buy a new car every other year, collect Faberge eggs, etc. Now granted, smoking crack is probably cheaper than buying comics right now, but I still get more of a rush from reading something like Locke & Key, so I plan on sticking with it for a good while yet. :)

• Options
    Why comics?

Continuity... its not perfect, its not constant, heck its not even continuous! But comics have a history as long as I do (in fact much longer!). Like many other things that people hold onto over the years they get intertwined with memories and emotions.

Spider-man has been around longer than a TV show, a movie franchise, or quite a few sports teams, and his lineup hasn't changed (unlike the Mets).

Comics are also a conduit into a community of young and old, with a shared/similar experience, but enough variation and disagreement to keep it interesting.
  • Options
    gragneegragnee Posts: 1

This really frames my question exactly. Many people are fanatic about their hobbies, but what makes comic fandom so different. Prime example: Why is Comic Con so crazy??? Not that I'm complaining! I've just never been able to put my finger on it.

I really appreciate all of the thoughts and I have to admit that I basically agree with everyone's comments!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    random73 said:

They are also how I learned to read. When I was 4 my parents and I would go visit my grandparents each weekend. And it was a long drive. So they would get me comics to entertain me. Well I already knew my alphabet. So I would spell out the words to my parents . After a month or so of doing this to the same comics each weekend I started learning each word. By the time I started kindergarden I was reading on a 3rd grade level.

• Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Honestly (and tautologically), I love comics because I love comics.

I blame Larry Hama and Chris Claremont.