Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2

Two issues into this story and I'm loving every moment of it. The characters are written very well but the art is beyond gorgeous. J.K. Woodward has made a fan of me with this series. What are everyone else's thoughts?

http://comicartcommunity.com/2012/06/star-trek-doctor-who/
http://comicartcommunity.com/2012/06/star-trek-tng-doctor-who-assimilation2-review/

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Oh, I love this cover
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    It has me interested but not foaming at the mouth. Apparently Tony Lee, the god of Doctor Who comics, is leaving this miniseries partway through. That makes me worry a little.
  • Options
    Star Trek got short-changed in the first issue, but every story has to have the groundwork laid. The last page surprise more than made up for that....
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    SPOILERS!

Started off a little shaky by going back to my least favorite TNG cliche - people standing around talking about procedures - but it picked up pretty quickly once the two casts finally met, and I love the idea that this meeting should not be happening! The Doctor's remarks about suddenly remembering things which never actually happened before, and that he had never before heard the word "Klingon" until he had just said it were brilliantly "timey wimey" and the sort of idea that would have come from Steven Moffat's own head. It makes me think that there are two (or more) meanings to the Doctor's final words to Captain Picard in the issue: "Captain, we shouldn't be here." They're in the wrong place, the wrong time, and probably the wrong universe.

I also loved how unphased Picard was by the Doctor, Amy, and Rory's arrival. I suppose after meeting beings like Q, Matt Frewer's time traveler character, and that guy Wesley went off with (the Traveler, I think?), three people showing up in a police box on a holodeck probably isn't that comparatively unusual.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    On the days Assimilation² comes out, it's the title that goes straight to the top of my reading queue.

I'm diggin' the art and the book's ambiance.
    While the first issue was a tad light on the Trek, the second more than atoned for the first's slight disparity.

Crossovers like these all too often compromise the very essence of one universe to make it simpatico with the other. I haven't felt as if that's the case with Assimilation². So far, Trek feels like Trek and Doctor Who feels like Doctor Who.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I've only read the 1st issue, but I've found it a lot of fun, so far. The supervillain teamup was perfect. the Dr's done well. And looking forward to the Dr's interaction w/Picard and crew.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Dialogue was spot on. Each character's unique voice sounded exactly right. From the Doctor's babbling to well, more of the Doctor babbling. It was perfect.

Art was Spot on. From Rikers smirk in the last panel in issue 1 to Picard's signature tunic tug in issue 2. It was perfect.

I'm typically not a fan of licensed properties but this is just too good to pass up.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I have one quibble with the book, and it's a minor one at that.
    Many of the panels seem to be copied and pasted from one panel to the next with just a few modifications. Granted, it's a technique that's commonly employed, and I suppose in this digital art age such shortcuts are to be expected.

Call me greedy, but when it comes to eye candy, I want to be able to sample every flavor.
  • Options
    The art is what really has me impressed. Everyone looks gorgeous in this book. I also love how spot on everyone is as well when it comes to dialogue and action. I think this is why a team up with Doctor Who works better with the TNG crew as opposed to the TOS crew. Kirk would have just punched out the Doctor and try to sleep with Amy.
  • Options
    The art is what really has me impressed. Everyone looks gorgeous in this book. I also love how spot on everyone is as well when it comes to dialogue and action. I think this is why a team up with Doctor Who works better with the TNG crew as opposed to the TOS crew. Kirk would have just punched out the Doctor and try to sleep with Amy.
    No. He WOULD have slept with Amy.
  • Options
    But not without first having his shirt ripped off and having to wrestle Rory.
  • Options
    Have you seen the cover art for issue no. 3?

Click here to view it

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    If there were ever a comic book crossover that needed to be adapted into live action, this is it.

The characters have been spot on in every conceivable way in the their mannerisms and their dialogue. The writing and the art are phenomenal.
  • Options
    But not without first having his shirt ripped off and having to wrestle Rory.
    True indeed!
  • Options
    @Fade2Black I guess considering we're dealing with Doctor Who and time travel, that makes a lot of sense. It will be interesting seeing the TOS crew interacting with the 4th Doctor. Looking forward to that.
  • Options
    best line ever

Fascinating. Gelatin confectionery dusted with starch and molded into the shape of a small child.
  • Options
    It was awesome. I loved the different art for the flashback with the original crew and the fourth Doctor. I am loving this story and I can't wait to double dip on this. I want to have this in one nice hardcover as well.
  • Options
    I don't usually care for licensed property's but this title is awesome!

@CaptainCarrot @jatdee74 right on both counts!
  • Options
    This is something I'm going to want to double dip on I think because I want this in the hardcover.
  • Options
    I'm not prone to fanboying out as much anymore, but this book is AWESOME! Two great tastes that taste great together, and should've been brought together earlier! It's interesting that the Borg seem to be the ones that seem to have been taken over by the Cybermen, when I think it'd be the other way around. Their adaptive technology is scary, unless they're insinuating that they believe the Cybermen are more perfect than they are?
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what you say but I'm not 100% sure it's the Borg that have take over the Cybermen. I actually think it could be the other way around. I see maybe the Cybermen came into this dimension to upgrade themselves with Borg technology. I guess we'll see in the next issue though.
  • Options
    the similarities between the Cybermen and the Borg are eerie. i do think the Borg design is just more frightening but i expect that being a creation of the 90's not than the 60's.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I'm not 100% sure it's the Borg that have take over the Cybermen. I actually think it could be the other way around. I see maybe the Cybermen came into this dimension to upgrade themselves with Borg technology. I guess we'll see in the next issue though.

That's what I said Jaydee :-p I said the Borg had been TAKEN OVER by the Cybermen.
  • Options
    Duh. @The_RaphRadia, I totally read that wrong. I see what you meant and yes, I agree with that. I'm not entirely sure what the Borg would get from an alliance with the Cybermen. When it comes to the Cybermen, I would think the Borg would just want to destroy them more than try to work with them but maybe I'm not as up on my Borg history as I should be.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    It wouldn't be a Doctor Who story without a bad guy being used by a badder guy, even as they think they're in charge. And then, oh no, there's a double-cross in the end! I love those tropes...
  • Options
    Now if they could just have a 3rd Dr

jaydee74 said:

That's what I said Jaydee :-p I said the Borg had been TAKEN OVER by the Cybermen.
    I think the term is Assimilated ;)
  • Options
    Whatever the term is, this is an awesome story and I can't wait for the next issue.
  • Options
    Just read #4. Great stuff.