Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A couple of new forum teething issues

2»

Comments

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    either i've found a flaw in the forums or someone is trying to tell me to get a headstart on my Christmas shopping

silly spam bots
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Has there really been that much more spam than the old place? I haven't been able to be on that much since the launch, and I know I have zapped a few, but I used to have to regularly do that in the old forum as well.
    It seems like I am seeing way more spam on this forum than on the last. I saw at least 4 new ones last night. But everytime I see one I make sure to flag it as spam.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Has there really been that much more spam than the old place? I haven't been able to be on that much since the launch, and I know I have zapped a few, but I used to have to regularly do that in the old forum as well.
    It seems like I am seeing way more spam on this forum than on the last. I saw at least 4 new ones last night. But everytime I see one I make sure to flag it as spam.
    I agree that, the last few days since my earlier post, I have seen more than I would have in the same timespan at the old place.

It may be that, once we've done this initial startup, it may be time to change permissions so that a member has to be approved before they can post. Things like that are Bryan's decisions to make, of course, but I personally think- rather than slow down what has been a nice momentum of people (re)signing up, it is better to have the floodgate open, and then close it more later once we are back and underway. Especially as what spam there has been can easily be ignored until it gets zapped.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    And if five people flag it as spam, it will disappear from the thread list.
    Like I said before, let's form a posse!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    SPAM POSSE ROUND UP!
  • Options
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Getta rope!
    No need for rope, just flags!

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited April 2012
    Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but am I the only one that is really HATING this new forum? At least in terms of how it looks. It's TERRIBLE for me - the font is really hard to read - I get a headache looking at it. Plus the colors are terrible (ex. the like/dislike/agree line is faded grey on white background making it hard to see). I'm viewing this on Chrome on a Dell Computer using Windows XP. Is it just me? It's inferior to the old forum (and pretty much every single other forum I follow on the net). Is this really the way it's going to stay for the indefinite future?

I'm not trying to diss the forum - I still love it (and wish I had more time to post on it like I once did) and the podcast, but just form a sheer view-ability factor, it's just not good. Is there any way to make this better? And is it just me? Is there something I can do with my computer to make it better?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    On my work WinXP computer I have to use Firefox to make the font readable. Chrome makes it look terrible. Haven't worked out any other work-around yet.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    It's definitely better on Firefox - looking at it now from my work computer - this is the first time I've seen it on here. But still not as good as it was in the old days. Plus, the color contrast problem is still there - can barely see the gray "last person posted" on the white background.

Again, sorry to be a black note - love this place when I can get to it - just not liking the new format.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    This forum & Firefox works well for me.

Matthew
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post this on, but is there a way to receive e-mails when a new topic is posted? I used to do that with the old forum, and it was the easiest way for me to keep up. I've figured out how to do it with individual threads, but not an overall category.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I like the social features and regular HTML. The only thing I don't like right now is that I can't just press a button to quote a post as a reply using the mobile front end.
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    Still trying to figure some of the things out on the new forums. Like… how do you quote someone in a reply? I see the quote button but I haven't figured out how to make it make the blue box that says, "blahdidblah said:". It's probably something really simple but, it's beyond me right now.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Still trying to figure some of the things out on the new forums. Like… how do you quote someone in a reply? I see the quote button but I haven't figured out how to make it make the blue box that says, "blahdidblah said:". It's probably something really simple but, it's beyond me right now.
    It could be a difference in browsers, but for me to make a post like this, I first clicked the word Quote on your post (it is light, but on my Firefox browser, it appears on the same row as your name on your post). When I click that, the "Leave a Comment" box automatically populates with your post quoted, and wrapped in the proper tags.

As an experiment. Looking at this post, if you look at my name and continue to read to the right, so you see a button for "Quote" (again, it may be faint).
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29

It could be a difference in browsers, but for me to make a post like this, I first clicked the word Quote on your post (it is light, but on my Firefox browser, it appears on the same row as your name on your post). When I click that, the "Leave a Comment" box automatically populates with your post quoted, and wrapped in the proper tags.

As an experiment. Looking at this post, if you look at my name and continue to read to the right, so you see a button for "Quote" (again, it may be faint).
    Perfect! Thanks, David. I had totally looked past the quote button off to the right and was instead looking at the quote button that appears in the row with the "bold" and "italics" and other options.
  • Options
    choanatachoanata Posts: 9
    That quote option doesn't seem to show up on the mobile browser.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    That quote option doesn't seem to show up on the mobile browser.
    In general, I really do dislike the mobile version of this forum. Once I got used to the change, I'm starting to like the full version of it, but the mobile version has some serious weaknesses.
  • Options
    Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but am I the only one that is really HATING this new forum? At least in terms of how it looks. It's TERRIBLE for me - the font is really hard to read - I get a headache looking at it. Plus the colors are terrible (ex. the like/dislike/agree line is faded grey on white background making it hard to see). I'm viewing this on Chrome on a Dell Computer using Windows XP. Is it just me? It's inferior to the old forum (and pretty much every single other forum I follow on the net). Is this really the way it's going to stay for the indefinite future?

I'm not trying to diss the forum - I still love it (and wish I had more time to post on it like I once did) and the podcast, but just form a sheer view-ability factor, it's just not good. Is there any way to make this better? And is it just me? Is there something I can do with my computer to make it better?

e
    L nny
    I know when I use this forum at home, I can see everything fine. Some are lighter than others, but I can still read everything. But when I use the computers at school, some of the buttons are practically invisible and I only know they're there from using the site at home.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    One good thing about mobile is that it auto resizes images to fit the browser. But the options to more directly engage in the conversation are limited.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I only ever use Chrome and everything looks great to me.

It's simple and clear. No clutter like the previous forums.

I love it!

Bry
  • Options
    One good thing about mobile is that it auto resizes images to fit the browser. But the options to more directly engage in the conversation are limited.
    Yeah. You can't quote. You can't "like" "agree" etc. I disabled the pop-up notifications because they make the forums on my phone a complete unreadable mess.

But again.... once the shock of the new has worn off, I'm growing to really like the full version of this forum. I miss the subforums for other podcasts, but I like the clean look, I like the "agree" "disagree" "like" etc stuff.

Oh yeah.... and one other thing I forgot that I absolutely LOVE about the new forum. "Draft autosaved"!!! No more lost posts!!!! For anyone who has ever typed up a long post and then had your browser crash or your connection lost, this is a godsend. I love love LOVE that feature.

And as a question - who disagreed with my post saying that I didn't like the mobile version? I'm not going to argue with you, it's your opinion, I'm just curious what you like about it.