Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Thanks! Didn't realize I was posting nothing!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    What a great issue!

I felt like I was back in 1986.
  • Options
    I have it in my pull box at my shop... Cant wait to get it
  • Options
    1986 is my own personal golden age for everything awesome. My first doctor who convention, my intro to Blake's 7, I think STTNG started that year (along with the new monkee's but nobody talks about that) West Coast Avengers! Batman and the Outsiders! Love it!
  • Options
    Looks Fantastic!!!
  • Options
    random73 said:

1986 is my own personal golden age for everything awesome. My first doctor who convention, my intro to Blake's 7, I think STTNG started that year (along with the new monkee's but nobody talks about that) West Coast Avengers! Batman and the Outsiders! Love it!

It's mine, too.
  • Options
    This book was great. Loved it. Happy Fraction can do something new that isn't a big event.
  • Options
    Did you manage to somehow miss The Order? Lol!
  • Options
    My first concert was the (Mikeless) Monkees reunion tour that started that year. I didn't care for the New Monkees, though. And there is a theory that everyone has a golden age when they are around 10-13 or so.

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/08/wrapped-up-like-comic-review-hawkeye-1.html
    random73 said:

• Options
    Actually on a related Monkee note the surviving monkees are touring this fall.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I bought this and read this and I am totally on board with this. A great first issue.
  • Options
    I may have to pick this up.
  • Options
    I think so! My Defenders have already been cancelled I don't want this one going to way of the dodo too.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited August 2012
    Just read it last night... I have never been a big Hawkeye fan, but I dug it. Fraction's Iron Fist was one of my favourite series of the last ten years, so I'm on board for the (hopefully) long run.
    random73 said:

I think so! My Defenders have already been cancelled I don't want this one going to way of the dodo too.

I hadn't heard that Defenders had been cancelled. That really really really sucks. Two dozen Avengers titles and Marvel can't back up just 1 Defenders book!?! Boooooo!
  • Options
    yeah they announced (quietly) that issue 12 was the final issue.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited August 2012
    Just read it last night... I have never been a big Hawkeye fan, but I dug it. Fraction's Iron Fist was one of my favourite series of the last ten years, so I'm on board for the (hopefully) long run.
    random73 said:

I hadn't heard that Defenders had been cancelled. That really really really sucks. Two dozen Avengers titles and Marvel can't back up just 1 Defenders book!?! Boooooo!
    I have some thoughts about the problem with the Defenders in general.

The name "Defenders" in itself because apperently the name of the team or the series I guess is deal breaker for some people. Back in the days of the first defenders series I was told by my comic reading friends that they didn't like the book because of the name, they just couldn't get into a team/book with that name. I didn't get it back then, i don't get it now.

Who is on the roster and does the roster make sense? To some people I have talked to the line-ups we have seen in both the old and new Defenders books wasn't appealing or didn't make sense to them, even to my friends that know the history of the characters and team.

Do you have a creative team that knows the characters and team well enough to embrace them and do justice? For me the art team on this series did not convey to me who and what the characters are individually and as a team. It is also not the style I would have gone with. Matt Fraction is a good writer, but I'm not a big fan, I gave this book a try, I really wanted to like it but the writing or the story in general did nothing to capture me.

Back on to the thread subject. I have to get myself another copy of Hawkeye #1. I have reread it and flipped through it to examine the art a bazillion times, its getting worn out. I'm hoping that everything that went into this first issue stays in place for the long haul. Hawkeye has always been one of my favorite Avengers and I want this book to be around for as long as possible.

• Options
    random73 said:

yeah they announced (quietly) that issue 12 was the final issue.

I tried to like this book. Really did want to... I just couldnt get into it. Even with Iron Fist in it. He and Hawkeye are me 2 faves... It was the oit of this world stuff that didnt gel for me at least. Ah well heres to Hawkeye and hopes that his fate is a loooonnnnnnnggggg run.

• Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    I hope Aja stays on for a LONG run. Been a fan of Fraction, but the selling point of this is David Aja's art...!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I also think that the Defenders suffered from "Cool idea wrapped in too much confusion". Fraction can tell a great, straight-forward super-hero story (as seen on Hawkeye #1), but Defenders tried to get into the confusing cosmic end of the spectrum...kind of trying to update Gerber's run with a modern style.

It didn't work because Gerber's weirdness worked because he kept the characters relateable, and brought us through the odd stories with their reactions, while Fraction had the characters just go along with all of the weirdness, expecting us readers to just trust him and go with it, rather than making the characters our guides.

That being said, Hawkeye was the opposite of that. A simple story with a highly relateable character in a world that we can quickly grasp and understand. It now see Hawkeye as the everyman character, whereas in the past, he's been the wisecracking rogue. I'm excited about this series and hope it does well...so spread the word!
  • Options
    demonbear said:

I hope Aja stays on for a LONG run. Been a fan of Fraction, but the selling point of this is David Aja's art...!

He's gonna be the main artist, but someone else is already scheduled for 4 & 5.
  • Options
    Fraction said the Defenders was his experiment with the Mighty Marvel Method so he was submitting plots, lettin the artist have complete control of the the art an then filling in the dialog. This may not have been the best plan...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Gave my copy to a friend yesterday.

I better get it back!
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    WetRats said:

demonbear said:

as long as those are just fill-ins...and i hope they get an artist with a similar "feel" (and not style, necessarily). that will give it a bit of consistency. i hate it when they insert a fill-in artist here and there as if it was a try out book, where the style is usually radically different

• Options
    demonbear said:

WetRats said:

demonbear said:

as long as those are just fill-ins...and i hope they get an artist with a similar "feel" (and not style, necessarily). that will give it a bit of consistency. i hate it when they insert a fill-in artist here and there as if it was a try out book, where the style is usually radically different
    In the WordBalloon interview, Fraction seemed very pleased with the other artist and compared the situation to the quality of artist rotation going on with Daredevil.