Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1263 Talkback: Comic Talk

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited August 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
It's a relaxed episode with just Jamie D. and Pants. After some discussion on the passing of Joe Kubert, we talk about Marvel's cancellation of The Defenders book, Joss Whedon signing on to the Avengers sequel, the Superman Family Adventures comic and more. (56:06)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited August 2012
    First?: Yayyyy! "GRAVITAS!"
    Joe Kubert: Yeah, I listened to the classic ep. and Jamie's right, it did indeed seem a bit formal until the topic of his family came up...
    Defenders: It just couldn't sustain my interest even with the good art. I did sort of like the cute way they put those little 70's type advertisement remarks at the bottom of almost each page. I can't really recommend it Jamie because I think I only read up to issue 4, maybe others will chime in.
    Joss Whedon: Jamie had some good ideas about what Whedon might do with the TV series, but maybe he'll just do some behind the scenes with the basics of SHIELD or something. And then like Jamie said with some heroes showing up at times.
    Superman Family: Ahhh, I think I'm regretting that I didn't buy that...
    Yes Pants, you do sound a little like a Muppet. I don't know which one, but...;-)
    I mean you have the unique laugh, the trademark sayings ("Laughed so hard, I busted my...") and the fake grumbling sound, etc. Maybe you should become a cartoon voice actor!
    The Monkees!: Well, I liked a couple of their songs, but not enough to go to a concert.
    ...Natalie Cole, Jamie, not Stephanie.
  • Options
    Every time "super Pets" are mentioned, I can't help but hear "Wonderpets". And the Wonderpets simply drive me crazy!!! LOL

I always enjoy Comic Talk episodes. Thanks for sharing your points of view!
  • Options
    alienal said:

Yes Pants, you do sound a little like a Muppet. I don't know which one, but...;-)

A bit Groveresque.
  • Options

alienal said:

A bit Groveresque.
    I was thinking Kermit...

And, Pants.... that's a compliment. :) :D
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    What's a "Bryan Deemer"?

Pants you totally sound like a muppet. There's the wild inflection, the Ray Romano/Kermit half swallow of the voice, and the yips and the guffaws.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I enjoyed this episode because I think Pants and Jamie D. hosted one of the first non Deemer-Peter episodes when they were getting reading for the first Super Show or Ep. 300.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    abuddah said:

What's a "Bryan Deemer"?

Pants you totally sound like a muppet. There's the wild inflection, the Ray Romano/Kermit half swallow of the voice, and the yips and the guffaws.

That's it! Yesss, the Ray Romano-type voice! Excellent, abuddah!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    alienal said:

abuddah said:

What's a "Bryan Deemer"?

That's it! Yesss, the Ray Romano-type voice! Excellent, abuddah!
    Pants does sound somewhat like Ray Romano. But in one single episode of CGS Pants makes me laugh more than Ray Romano has in his entire career.
  • Options
    @Pants did you see the Monkees when they toured back in the mid 80s? They had Weird Al opening for them. My Aunt took me and it was the third concert I went too. Great show.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    @Pants did you see the Monkees when they toured back in the mid 80s? They had Weird Al opening for them. My Aunt took me and it was the third concert I went too. Great show.
    I saw them for the first time in either '87 or '88. Hard to believe it's been over 25 years since the 20 year anniversary tour.
  • Options
    Pants said:

I saw them for the first time in either '87 or '88. Hard to believe it's been over 25 years since the 20 year anniversary tour.

I want to say it was 87 when I saw them. I know I was between the ages of 12-14.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Pants said:

Wow. That was my first real concert, too, back when I was in 5th grade. So I suppose 25+ years makes sense, but damn does that not sit right!

Weird Al opening for them must've been amazing @dubbat138. I saw them with the Grass Roots and Gary Puckett and the Union Gap opening for them. Herman's Hermits was on the tour at that point, too, but Peter Noone's visa had expired at that point so they weren't on the Maine stop for the tour.
  • Options

Pants said:

Wow. That was my first real concert, too, back when I was in 5th grade. So I suppose 25+ years makes sense, but damn does that not sit right!

Weird Al opening for them must've been amazing @dubbat138. I saw them with the Grass Roots and Gary Puckett and the Union Gap opening for them. Herman's Hermits was on the tour at that point, too, but Peter Noone's visa had expired at that point so they weren't on the Maine stop for the tour.

It was a great show. I have seen Weird Al 3 times now and every time he puts on a very impressive show. Plus seeing the Monkees was great. This was around the time that the tv show had just started airing in syndication in my area. My Aunt had been a pre-teen when they were first on TV. So when she found out they were coming near us,she got herself a ticket and got me one as my birthday present. It is kind of funny,people that know me and know my taste in music are always surprised at the first 3 concerts I went too. My first concert I was about 4 and my parents took me to see Sha Na Na. Which at the time was my favorite tv show. Then when I was 10 I was spending the weekend with a friend of mine. His older brother had bought tickets for himself and two friends to go see KISS. Well the friends called him and told him they didn't have the money to pay him for the tickets. So he told them "F*** off then I will take my lil brother and his friend instead." So I got to see Kiss for free.
  • Options
    Can't help but think Jamie's getting his hopes up too much for the Shield tv show. My guess is it will be a 'no-name shield agents in jumpsuits running around shooting people' show.

There may possibly be some Marvel characters introduced but only the less well-known and budget-friendly powered ones. I can't see any of the Avengers cast showing up at all, if they don't want to blow their budget for a quick hit.