Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    For DC-

Mostly the usual stuff for me. Batman Inc. sounds like fun and, as usual, Burnham does a fantastic cover.

A lot of crossovers this month it looks like.

David Lapham is doing art the art for Dial H #6? Oooo.

Legends of the Dark Knight (which I have been getting via Comixology) has been excellent. As was the case with the old series of this name, it has been a continuity-less, eclectic mix of Batman one-shots and two or three part stories. Those who don't like digital will probably find these print issues are like a solid Batman anthology.

Weird War Tales will make a good addition to the Showcase collection of books I don't know when the heck I will get around to reading, but am glad to have.

Gene Ha is doing art on Fables? Cool. Will read that in trade someday.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    For Marvel-

Great to see Ribic back on Thor. I'm not sure I will do that series in singles, but will give it a try someday.

I am definitely up for a pulpy/sci-fi Remender/JRJR Captain America. Though I have been reading Cap in collected editions for years now, so I will probably wait on that, too.

X-Men Legacy is... a book about Legion? That is the strangest premise since that volume of Excalibur that had Xavier and Magneto hanging out in the ruins of Genosha. (It seemed to be the closest thing the X-books have had to a Beckett play). Still, though, if you are going to have a whole line of X-books, they might as well be distinct from each other. A Legion-centric one is certainly that. But I can't imagine it lasting. (Or even getting many people taking a chance on it with a double-dip first month)

Cool that FF is actually a different group of characters. And a wacky one at that. Though that Miss Thing design... yikes. That looks like something you would do with photoshop. But I guess they are going for that Milligan/Allred X-Force vibe. (A guess)

Deadpool with Moore art against resurrected dead presidents might be the first Deadpool book I ever buy. Especially with what will likely be the DCBS discount on the first issue.

Not to get too hung up on gender and "firsts" (as if this is true, it is probably embarrassing that it took this long, and she probably just wants to be thought of first as a writer rather than as a woman) but I wonder whether Deconnick writing an Avengers book and a Captain America book actually represents the first time a female writer has been on those books, particularly in an ongoing way?

And given that DeConnick, Immonen, and Liu all have comics this month, in the case of DeConnick and Liu, several, there are probably more comics written by women for Marvel then... well, probably ever. (That would likely be a depressing number to crunch).

Old news, as it started last month, but I am very glad Daredevil End of Days is finally seeing print. I think that has been in development for years.

As someone pointed out in another thread, the Iron Man 2 adaptation seems a little late.

Also old news, as it started the prior month, but I am game for a Wolverine MAX series. Wolverine The Best There Is felt like it was going to be a MAX title and they decided to pull back. So I never thought they would go for one and was surprised to see this. Not that MAX means it will be good, but I have like a lot of the MAX product and am game to see how this one is.

Bummer there is no Fury MAX this solicit. I hope that hasn't been silently cancelled, to. (Or maybe it was a mini? I feel like it was first going to be four issues, then got extended, but maybe only by a bit).
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    @David_D Thanks for picking up the slack in posting the Marvel link for everyone.

Matthew
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

@David_D Thanks for picking up the slack in posting the Marvel link for everyone.

Matthew

No problem. Usually the solicits are in the same thread. And I wanted a more neutral place to discuss the Marvel solicits. As I am not done ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Dang I see a lot more $3.99 books posted the Marvel NOW! mini relaunch. I believe I found my exit for Daredevil w/ the solicitation of a 12 issue oversized Mark Waid HC. Issue 19 of Daredevil will be my last Marvel single for a long time. It is sad times that are changing w/ higher prices but so is this reader in response.

Matthew
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

Dang I see a lot more $3.99 books posted the Marvel NOW! mini relaunch. I believe I found my exit for Daredevil w/ the solicitation of a 12 issue oversized Mark Waid HC. Issue 19 of Daredevil will be my last Marvel single for a long time. It is sad times that are changing w/ higher prices but so is this reader in response.

Matthew

I'm confused-- Daredevil is still $2.99 and there is no reason to think that Daredevil #20 won't be at the same price. Or do you mean that the oversized HCs means that you will start getting Daredevil that way instead of singles?

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    This will actually be a low purchase month for me. There is not that many trades coming out that I want. My order from the big 2 will look like:

Batman Chronicles vol 11
    Before Watchmen: Nightowl # 4
    Before Watchmen: Ozymandia #4
    Before Watchmen: Rorschach #3
    Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhatten #3
    Justice League # 14
    Green Lantern #14
    Green Lantern Corps #14
    Earth 2 # 6
    Flash # 14
    Wonder Woman #14
    Aquaman #14
    World's Finest #6
    Daredevil HC vol 1
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'll be getting the usual books that I get from DC but with Marvel, I'll be getting Fantatic Four. It looks amazing and I'm already on board for Hawkeye. FF also looks intriguing.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Marvel has done the impossible - got me interested in buying Marvel again! :)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    David_D said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

I'm confused-- Daredevil is still $2.99 and there is no reason to think that Daredevil #20 won't be at the same price. Or do you mean that the oversized HCs means that you will start getting Daredevil that way instead of singles?

I will get the oversized HC of Daredevil of the 10 to 12 issue arc. As much as I enjoy Waid's work this was the perfect balance to scale back on in issues in late 2012/early 2013. It is not just Marvel but DC too. I just want to read what I want to read -- be it indie, DC or Marvel & second, it may not be from the stuff that is ongoing now. I preordered the Phoenix/Cyclops marriage tpb. Why? Because I want to read that over other stuff at Marvel. Get the last few trades of Scalped & move to Fables/Fairest to Deluxe Ed. & tpbs. I don't hate comics but I would rather read 4-6 tpbs a month in the post DCnew52/Marvel Now! era.

Matthew
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    DC thoughts:
    Interested to see Damian and Helena meet in Worlds' Finest. Given how well he doesn't get along with Bruce's adopted kids, it'll be fun to watch him interact with another biological child (albeit one from another universe)

Joe Kubert Presents seems kind of sad now, doesn't it? Definitely picking it up in tribute, though.

Bought the digital versions of the Ame-Comi Girls: Batgirl story and liked it enough to consider getting it in print (Sanford Green's artwork was amazing), but don't see why a book that came in 3 digital installments of 99 cents each costs an additional buck for the print version. That HEAVILY discourages double dipping.

Considering Showcase Presents Weird War Tales. Used to love finding those in the cheap bins, which doesn't happen much anymore. Too bad we won't see the Creature Commandos or GI Robot for at least another 2 volumes, though.

Marvel thoughts:
    Captain America sounds weird. Remender's a good writer, though, so maybe sci-fi pulp Cap will work?

Fantastic Four and FF both sound cool. And neither is double shipping! Twice the win!

Not usually a Deadpool fan, but I like Brian Posehn, and one of those covers features Zombie Theodore Roosevelt. TR's one of my favorite figures in American history... I may have to check that out.

Avenging Spider-Man co-starring Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy, written by Cullen Bunn? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Weird that they're reprinting the Spaceknights mini-series. The 'knights and the Dire Wraiths must be making a comeback soon. But does anyone want that if it doesn't properly feature Rom?
  • Options

Bought the digital versions of the Ame-Comi Girls: Batgirl story and liked it enough to consider getting it in print (Sanford Green's artwork was amazing), but don't see why a book that came in 3 digital installments of 99 cents each costs an additional buck for the print version. That HEAVILY discourages double dipping.

The extra buck -- actually, the extra two bucks -- are because of printing and shipping expenses. It isn't that the book is more expensive, it's that the digital is cheaper because it sidesteps those expenses. The printed books aren't about to become cheaper just because there's a digital version.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Lot of intriguing #1s from Image this month. And I am excited for more Jake Ellis.

And if you are a Brubaker/Lark/Phillips fan and you've never read Scene of the Crime (which is fantastic) here is your chance:

SCENE OF THE CRIME DELUXE HC
    writer ED BRUBAKER
    art /cover MICHAEL LARK & SEAN PHILLIPS
    NOVEMBER 14
    128 PAGES / FC / OVERDIZED / M
    $24.99
    From the co-creators of Gotham Central and FATALE comes a lost crime noir masterpiece. Long out of print, and presented here for the first time in an oversized hardback edition, SCENE OF THE CRIME was the first time ED BRUBAKER and MICHAEL LARK worked together – before their acclaimed runs on Daredevil and Gotham Central – and it was inked by SEAN PHILLIPS, who also designed this deluxe edition.
    This is where it all began, with a hard-hitting mystery story, a modern day "Chinatown" that garnered nominations for Best Miniseries and Best Writer in the 2000 Eisner Awards. Also included in this new collection are behind the scenes art and stories, a new foreword by BRUBAKER, and many other extras. This is the book you'll want on your shelves.

• Options
    I read Scene of the Crime over at Vertigo & it was a good story. It started my interest w/ Criminal & Fatale. Seriously, if you like his indie work check out Scene of the Crime. You will be grad you did.

Matthew
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

I read Scene of the Crime over at Vertigo & it was a good story. It started my interest w/ Criminal & Fatale. Seriously, if you like his indie work check out Scene of the Crime. You will be grad you did.

Matthew

Agreed! And even though I have the singles, I might spring for the big, pretty edition on this.
  • Options
    I am not springing for the HC because I am saving my money for the Top Ten Absolute.

Matthew
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

I am not springing for the HC because I am saving my money for the Top Ten Absolute.

Matthew

And that should be a HELL of a book. So many of those pages were packed with background details and little jokes and things. Should be great at that size. Enjoy!

• Options
    Well Stan Sakai is doing a 5 part miniseries, 47 Ronin. I look forward to getting my hands on new Sakai artwork even if it is not Usagi. It will be published at Dark Horse.

Matthew
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    David_D said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

And that should be a HELL of a book. So many of those pages were packed with background details and little jokes and things. Should be great at that size. Enjoy!

Top10 has been my #1 "This needs an Absolute" whine for years... so I have to buy it! Ha packed those panels and yes I cant wait to see the Crisis on Infinite Mice Infestation play out on nice big Absolute pages.
  • Options
    Bump for the addition of IDW.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    David_D said:

Deadpool with Moore art against resurrected dead presidents might be the first Deadpool book I ever buy. Especially with what will likely be the DCBS discount on the first issue.

Since I hype this book to anyone who will listen, this is one of the funniest comic books I've ever read that it seems like so many other people haven't.

David_D said:

Not to get too hung up on gender and "firsts" (as if this is true, it is probably embarrassing that it took this long, and she probably just wants to be thought of first as a writer rather than as a woman) but I wonder whether Deconnick writing an Avengers book and a Captain America book actually represents the first time a female writer has been on those books, particularly in an ongoing way?

I'm almost certain that I've read somewhere that you are correct and that is indeed the case. I believe the article in question was referring to Avengers (although I could be wrong), but I imagine it's true for both of them. I'd verify more but I have no idea where I read that article.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    First glance I'll probably pick up 25 single issues and 5 trades. The Image #1's are intriguing. I'm probably most excited for Deadpool.
  • Options
    I'll try out Judge Dredd #1 just to see what it is all about.

Matthew (Sly is the LAW!)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Trying Judge Dredd also. Transformers Prime: Rage of the Dinobots #1 of 4, hecks yeahs!