Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman Odyssey - What the Hell?

What is Neal Adams on? This video is a sort of "book and record" of Batman Odyssey #2... It is beautifully drawn, but the WORST storytelling and story I have ever seen... It seems like those old issues of CRAZY where they would take an old Spider-Man comic and rewrite the dialogue and captions to make it funny. But take that, cut out all of the panels, put them on the floor and mix them all up, re-paste them up, and then SET THEM ON FIRE. That's what Batman Odyssey is like.

Holy Crap. Is anybody reading this and does it EVER make any sense???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehl3xYIBP5U

Comments

• Options
    Boy, I can't argue with you on this. I was really looking forward to this series, being a huge Neal Adams fans, and Adams has been an okay writer in the past. But this mess -- boy, I just don't know. I never saw a character taken so far out of his character before. There were spots of brilliance here and there in the art and storytelling, but they were overshadowed by the large sense of 'Huh!?" the story kept inflicting upon the reader. I think what the series needed more than anything was an editor hovering over Mr Adams with a large steel ruler, ready to whap his wrists everytime he started to stray away from a comprehensive story or out-of-character dialogue.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    BAABABOOOM!!!
    where's that blasted geek
    =))

The audio is hilarious - it makes it into a whole different thing.

The art is awesome - but the story is one big joke.
  • Options
    Neal Adams is one of my art heroes... probably the biggest, to me personally. But I had to quit Odyssey because it was diminishing my view of Adams. Seriously. When I was in line for an autograph a couple of weeks ago, I just tried not to look at his newest work.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I love Adams work and was so interested in this. I simply couldnt force myself through it and had to drop it by the third issue. Just aweful and insane. The nail for me was in issue three when Batman was pulling an empty shell casing out of his body after getting shot. I realize not everyone is familiar with firearms but that was just beyond stupid.
  • Options
    Didn't I talk about this enough on the show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Didn't I talk about this enough on the show?

Ha Ha... you did talk about it, but until I saw it for myself, I had no idea how utterly batschnitt insane it really was. Words LITERALLY don't do it justice. As I was watching the video, I felt like I was staring into the heart of the TARDIS or something, just praying I would emerge with my sanity.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    @MikeGallagher yes, but most of us turn the volume down when you come on!

Joking! JOKING!! :D
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited August 2012
    @MikeGallagher warned everyone. Your fault you didn't listen. L-) :D
  • Options
    Because of this book I bought first x-men and am terrified to open it
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Speaking of that, where have you been @MikeGallagher? Haven't heard you on the show in awhile!
  • Options
    Nick said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Speaking of that, where have you been @MikeGallagher? Haven't heard you on the show in awhile!
    Last week I had to rush my bride to the hospital. Ther has been some days I couldn't record on for other reasons. I am searching for a part time job to support the insulin habit as not having insurance sucks ass.
    I have an income from the art gig but it's not steady yet.

I wish I were on. I miss it. Should be on this week.

It's nice to be missed. Thanks

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Nick said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Last week I had to rush my bride to the hospital. Ther has been some days I couldn't record on for other reasons. I am searching for a part time job to support the insulin habit as not having insurance sucks ass.
    I have an income from the art gig but it's not steady yet.

I wish I were on. I miss it. Should be on this week.

It's nice to be missed. Thanks

Well I am another that misses hearing you on the show. But totally understand that your health comes first. Hope your wife is doing better. Nothing scarier than having to rush a loved one to the hospital.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    @MikeGallagher Yup, I'm looking forward to your return also. I hope your wife is doing well and good luck with the job search.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hey Batman, You've got red on you.
  • Options
    Essentially 'Batman: Odessey'is just that, and odessey. I know that I shouldn't be a hater but after the first 2 issues that I bought just turned me off Neil, as a writer, completely. I understand that Christos Gage is writing the First X-Men but I can't help but fear that Neil may have too much influence.
  • Options
    As brilliant as Neal is, he is an artist. As a writer he is stuck in the comic sensibilities of his childhood. What he wrote, and how he guided, continuity comics was trying to force sixties/fifties superhero types into the nineties.

However good an artist he is, like everyone, he needs a strong editor. Odyssey comes off like Lucas' prequels. No control. There was some brilliant pages. Some traditional Adams goodness and some total disasters. Multiple inkers didn't help.
    In interviews he seems defensive about the project. Maybe he knows it's not his best and is trying to convince himself as well as us?