Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Kirby Komix!

I am a HUGE Jack Kirby fan, and have recently been reading some of the Kirby stuff I haven't read in a long time, so I'm gonna post my thoughts on it, and maybe generate some good, old school CGS positive discussion about great comics!

I have recently read the first four issues of Kirby's 2001: A Space Odyssey, and am really impressed with what Kirby was doing with the book. Let's face it, after Kirby adapted the movie in a Treasury edition, the idea of a comic book series based on the movie seems like a REALLY odd choice. However, Kirby dived in, and as he did it, it played into his ideas about space gods, as well as humanity growing beyond its violent and destructive roots.

The first issue sets the tone as he mirrors the structure of the movie (in a 17 page comic!). We first meet a caveman who is a small step above his bestial companions, and in meeting the monolith, learns to create the first edged weapon. We switch to the future where his supposed descendent is trapped on the moon... Issue two follows the same structure with a female protagonist. The highlight of these two issues is getting a Kirby story of ancient man, and then followed up by Kirby's version of the Kubrich future. His art is powerful, and while I'm not the biggest fan of Royer's inks (I feel he followed Kirby's pencils a little TOO slavishly, rather than bringing his own influence to them like a Joe Sinnott or Joe Simon did), Kirby's art is strong, filled with action and does an incredible job of leading the reader from panel to panel.

Issues three and four are a leap forward as he leaves behind the format's structure and tells the story of Barak who uses the knowledge from the monolith to create the world's first army. Kirby is at a peak here with some incredible two page battle sequences, wonderful end of page reveals and excellent pacing. We also go from fearing Barak's barbarianism to understanding his shift from brutal leader to a man who is bringing humanity forward in his own drive for both conquest and love. It shows that Kirby really enjoyed the fantasy/prehistoric style adventure he did in Kamandi, and his...well...quirky dialogue works perfectly in this type of story (as it did in The New Gods).

It was not a huge hit at the time, and I see it as some of Kirby's most under-rated work.

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Wasn't it in 2001 that Machine Man first appeared?
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Yep. Issues 8, 9 and 10. I don't know as I have ever read those, so I am looking forward to it. And then the Machine Man series had 9 issues by Kirby and then another 9 by Ditko... A forgotten little gem!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I've never read any of the 2001 stuff.

Has it been collected?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    As a huge fan of Kirby's Kamandi I'd be interested in reading his take on 2001: A Space Odyssey. Where can one get the book. Couldn't find it on Amazon.
  • Options
    BWT: Kibry si mipsleled ni teh trhead haed.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I've never read any of the 2001 stuff.

Has it been collected?

Nope. You'll have to buy it in back issue bins. Most of Kirby's 70's stuff has been collected, but I think this and Machine Man haven't been put between covers yet. 2001 for licensing issues, and Machine Man for....dunno why.

• Options
    WetRats said:

Fxied

• Options

WetRats said:

Fxied
    Goorvy!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I haven't read as much Kirby as I'd like but I do own the Kamandi omnibus and "Kirby: King of Comics" book by Mark Evanier. I have a spattering of random issues but these two books have really shown me how great Kirby was.

It's interesting that in the Evanier book it says that Kirby didn't have much fun doing 2001 and yet it was arguably his best work from that time period.

Cory, you said 2001 was a 17-page comic but Evanier calls it a 71-page tabloid sized comic. I haven't read it, and I'm too lazy to fact check, so I'm just wondering who is right?
  • Options
    @Mr_Cosmic, I believe there was a Treasury Edition of the movie adaptation (71 pp), then the ongoing comic (17 pp).
  • Options
    WetRats said:

@Mr_Cosmic, I believe there was a Treasury Edition of the movie adaptation (71 pp), then the ongoing comic (17 pp).

Ah, ok, that explains it. Thanks!

• Options
    IT'S JACK KIRBY'S BIRTHDAY!!!

Celebrate by reading some Kirby!! I'm gonna read some of his early Ant Man stuff simply because I don't know if I've EVER read it!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Boxers Man!
  • Options
    Drunk Cap should call in to the guys and wish the King happy birthday.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Having scanned Kirby’s photostats of his pencils for most of his ’70s Marvel work, and as much as I loved the craziness of Captain America when I was a kid, I would agree that 2001 was his best work during that period. There just seems to be a deeper level of thought in the stories, and it’s reflected in the artwork.

And in case anyone is interested, TwoMorrows is running a sale on Kirby books and mags this month in honor of his birthday.
  • Options
    I have read two of Kirby's last stories for Marvel - the two Ka-Zar stories in Amazing Adventures. I didn't know that Kirby had done these, and I had actually picked them up for the Wally Wood Dr. Doom stories.

Stan scripted the first one, and Roy scripted the second, and for Kirby they were pretty typical of his 1970 work for the company. The story was simple, Kraven the Hunter comes to the Savage Land to hunt Zabu. When Kirby was drawing the action stuff, it was everything you would expect, but the non-action scenes seemed pretty lifeless.

The weird thing to me was in issue #2, a LOT of Ka-Zar's faces were drawn by someone else, and on one of the pages, every Ka-Zar panel was VERY CLEARLY redrawn. It did whet my appetite for Kirby to do a Ka-Zar series (although most of the story was in New York, and I'd rather have seen him flesh out the Savage Land), and really seemed a lot like his work on Kamandi.
  • Options
    Looking through my Kamandi omnibus I've come to really love the way Kirby would pick one character out of a group shot and have them look right at the reader. I think it really makes you feel like you are a part of the action.

• Options
    Hey, I'm doing a special Kirby episode of my podcast this weekend in celebration of Jack's Birthday. If you have any Kirby Questions, let me know!
  • Options
    Bringing this thread back (and the Kirby episode of the podcast has grown and is still coming...trust me....)

I'm reading Kirby's Black Panther run from the 70's. I liked it at the time, but I was upset that they'd ended Don McGregor's run for it. Don was doing some brilliant work at the time, and his Black Panther is a classic...Kirby's stuff however was just fun comics.

The thing that is so great about the book is that while the stories were continued and had on-going plot threads, each book could be read on its own. So many wonderful ideas and concepts were jammed into this comic. Mr Little and the collectors, King Salomon's tomb, a human from six million years in the future, a hidden city of immortal samurai, vibranium turning T'Challa's half brother into a monster...all done with action that never EVER lets up! The letters pages had people complaining about Kirby's new direction, but these books have been PURE FUN!

I also like that he has Black Panther unmasked almost as much as masked in the stories...he doesn't wear a mask to protect his identity, it's part of his ceremonial garb. I love other comics from the 70's, but Kirby's stuff are comics that I just can't read fast enough...and unlike today when creator rehash and rehash all of the old concepts, Kirby just starts throwing new ideas at you at a pace no one could even attempt now.

And no one, and I mean NO ONE drew a fight sequence better than The King.
  • Options
    Finished reading the Kirby Black Panther, and it seems Kirby left (or was removed) from the book mid-story...Shooter finished up the story Kirby was telling and an amazingly unsatisfactory way. Just a wretched ending to a story that could have given Marvel a new villain that really had a cool twist.

Kirby's last story was VERY dark, and has a lot of moments of real horror involved. He also altered the Black Panther's powers, giving him ESP and clairvoyance from being exposed to raw vibrantium. Not the best idea, but I can see why Kirby wanted to up the power level of the character a bit.

All in all a fun series with a dull thud of an ending. I also REALLY want to talk about the letters pages, which may have been the best example of the office politics Kirby accused Shooter and others of playing.
  • Options
    Who recorded a podcast about Kirby's early life and career?

I did!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    @SolitaireRose
    Just listened to your "Jack Kirby Part 1 – 1917 – 1943" episode.
    Well done! Can't wait for the next instalment.

I would have been one of those kids on the bus that traded away the Kirby books. When I was a kid, I just didn't get why everyone thought he was such a big deal.

Of course now I'm kicking myself for missing out on all those great Kirby books. Can't get enough of his stuff.
  • Options
    Gonna record part 2 this weekend, so if people have questions about Kirby's life and work from 1943 - 1956, let me know! Or, if you have ANY Kirby Kwestions, go ahead and ask!
  • Options
    Part two of the Kirby history is up! Sorry it was so late, but I was pretty damn amazed how little information there is about Kirby from 1943 - 1956!
  • Options
    Hey, Kirby fans! I am recording a podcast on a single Kirby story this weekend. The New Gods #6 – The Glory Boat! If you have any thoughts, questions, comments or ideas on this pivotal Kirby story, please post them or DM me! I’d love to hear from people on it!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    If you don't already have it, grab yourself a copy of Kirby Collector #24 from April 1999 which has page by page analysis of Kirby's NEW GODS #6 "The Glory Boat" by Charles Hatfield, Richard Kyle and Adam McGovern and some outstanding pencils.

Royer is awesome and this is probably some of the best Kirby work ever. Issues 6, 7, and 8 were brilliant.

A new cover from the later reprint of the first 11 issues...
  • Options
    Yep, I've got it. I've been going through Kirby's history in my solo podcast and thought that going through s single story might be a good way to illuminate Kirby's story choices and style for his New Gods period.