Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

So today I bought my first digital comic

I've been collecting comics for almost 25 years. I have thought about getting into digital only due to space in my basement running out and costs. I've looked here and there at comixology from time to time. Today I finally got around to puchasing some comics. Here are some observations from someone new to digital comics.

-Easy to use format. Makes it real easy to impulse buy. Both good and bad there.

-ALOT more free comics than I expected. Yes, many are books you never heard of and likely care less. But you never know what gems you find. Today I read CHEW #1 and SAGA #1 for free.

-Speaking of free. I have an idea. Any series that has been out for over a year or more, make the first issue free. It's been long enough from the release of the first issue that it won't hurt sales. But making that first issue free almost makes a person try a series they may have heard good things about, but never got into. For example: I am not a G I Joe fan. But there was a first issue from one of the various series that was free. I liked it so much I right away went back and bought the next 3 issues. Even if that first issue was only 99 cents I likely wouldn't have tried it. They got me to buy 3 books I never even considered buying in the first place.

-I noticed sometimes the lettering was hard to read. That might have been because I was reading off a laptop. I hear comics on an Ipad are better. Is that true?

-I can't bring myself to pay full cover price for a digital comic. But that's just me. For now I'll only buy books on sale. Or at least some after the price drop many books have after the first month or so after release.

-If Itunes can get around piracy issues for music and movies they sell, why can't comixology? I hate that I can't save my books on my own computer.

-One thing I've already noticed is how digital will get me to try alot more indie comics. Read alot today already. It's great when one discovers that next great book that was not even on my radar. \

-While there is a great selection, they don't have everything. Especially every issue of long running series. Not a big deal. But something to keep in mind.

-Don't know if they offer this or not. But some way to buy a gift card or simular would be nice.

Will digital ultimately replace my buying floppies? I highly doubt that. Physical copies still offer alot for me. Some books still look better on the printed page. I still have some books I enjoy building a collection of. I love the "hunt" for back issues and looking around at a con for a great find. And a computer will never replace the look of a well organized cooley decked out comic room. But overall I really enjoyed my first foray into digital. I will get more books over time. I don't see it as replacing one form of buying comics. But rather opening up a reader to many more books and enhancing one's choices.

Just some random thoughts

Comments

• Options
    I don't have an iPad, but I do have a Kindle Fire. Comics read so much better on a tablet. I like reading them panel by panel and I find myself taking more of the art in as opposed to skimming the art in a trade or floppy.

Comixology has sales two to three times a week. I personally buy my comics once a month in bulk from the website then download them all at once on my Fire. It's a lot easier than buying them one at a time. I also wait til the price drops as I won't spend more than $1.99 for a single issue. I'm constantly a month or two months behind but I don't really care.
  • Options
    I tried reading panel to panel and it drove me nuts. Old fashion page by page for me.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I tried reading panel to panel and it drove me nuts. Old fashion page by page for me.

Yea I can't do the panel by panel thing. Sometimes the lettering is hard to read.

• Options
    I took the plunge a couple months ago. I've been getting Batman Beyond and Justice League Beyond (title?). Either way they are fun titles in a batman universe i dig. Great artists and colors and only 99 cents. Looks great on a ipad or tablet.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I got into digital a bit after I got an Ipad. I liked it but it got old after a while for me. I now only buy when comixology has a sale. I wish the ipad was about an inch bigger for better viewing. The backlight got to me too. I stare at a computer screen all day at work so staring at a backlit device isn't what I want to do when I get home.
  • Options
    I just pick up the freebies to see if there's any books worth actually buying -- but if I do, I'll go for the physical copies. Since I know those will actually be in my possession and not just hanging out there in the Cloud somewhere.
  • Options
    Does the page format to the size of your Ipad screen? Or do you need to move the page around?
  • Options
    The page does format to the size of the iPad screen. It's comfortable enough that it's like reading the actual magazine.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Yeah, it formats to the size. I don't think its big enough though. I find myself zooming just a bit.