Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    we don't know that SHIELD has a "1/2 assed...NCIS type premise" it was just announced. we have no idea what the set up will be. My point is that Joss writes good comics and good TV so I'm onboard.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

we don't know that SHIELD has a "1/2 assed...NCIS type premise" it was just announced. we have no idea what the set up will be. My point is that Joss writes good comics and good TV so I'm onboard.

The NCIS-type was my conjecture.

I've been listening to The Nerdist Writers' Panel a lot lately, and from what the people in the trenches, writing TV weel-to-week, say, the Networks, love procedurals.

And the S.H.I.E.L.D. premise certainly suggests procedural.

Hell, even Buffy was a kind of procedural, in an off-beat way.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

The NCIS-type was my conjecture.

And I certainly didn't say it would be half-assed.

I've been listening to The Nerdist Writers' Panel a lot lately, and from what the people in the trenches, writing TV weel-to-week, say, the Networks, love procedurals.

And the S.H.I.E.L.D. premise certainly suggests procedural.

Hell, even Buffy was a kind of procedural, in an off-beat way.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

@Matt, it's nice that your job hasn't crushed your idealism.

I doubt any comic-based TV series from Warner or Disney is gonna live up to your standards.

Regarding your Star Wars example, my favorite Star Wars novels & comics were about Rogue Squadron, which barely acknowledged the main characters. Screw a bunch of glory-grabbing Jedi, give me stories of the working stiffs of the Rebellion!

Actually, people crushed my idealism long before I became a detective.

There's a recent episode released about a certain Animated series I raved about.

I see your point, but those were the books I always steered away from. I did like how Shadows of the Empire was crowbarred into the series. I like Dash Rendar, but I would not follow a series about him.

M
  • Options
    random73 said:

You're right, but to quote one of my favorite Batman movie lines "We'll see."

M

• Options
    Matt said:

There's a recent episode released about a certain Animated series I raved about.

Point.

I should have said Prime-Time.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Point.

I should have said Prime-Time.
    That I cannot argue with. I watched Birds of Prey hoping it would get better, which it didn't. I watched Smallville being okay with most of it, though the Native American angle & "Jor-El was on Earth in the past" started the downward slide.

I enjoyed Lois & Clark, but that was before I became jaded by these things.

M

• Options
    I know we are speculating at the moment but I really hope they avoid NCIS premise. Perhaps it might be more like Alias (TV Alias with Jennifer Garner nor Marvel Alias with Jessica Jones)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    I honestly don't think it will be procedural. More than any other network (besides CW), ABC is known for developing serialized dramas. Some may have procedural elements, but are overall serialized. Whedon and his cohorts are also known for their serialized, long-term storytelling. I wouldn't think they would get these people who specialize in serialized stories to develop a procedural project on a network that usually shies away from procedural storytelling.

The show may be episodic, at least initially, but I doubt it will be a procedural. I know a lot of people tend to think those two are interchangeable, but they're not.
  • Options
    Whedon recently shared some general thoughts on the show.

Vulture
    It was just announced that you're co-writing a TV series set in Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. organization, and you may direct the pilot, schedule permitting. After all the network conflicts you've had with your other shows, how does it feel to finally be working on a project that may very well get the biggest promotional push of any TV show ever and will most likely not air on a Friday?

[Laughs.] You know, I can't guarantee that any of that will happen! But so far, it feels just fine. The important thing to me is that we know what the show is. We love what it is. It came together very organically, so when we went in to pitch [to Marvel], it wasn't like, We're trying to find this because you want a TV show, it was, Check this out. And that's a good way to walk in a room.

Good support is wonderful, but it's not a hill of beans, because they may give us all this support and then decide, "Eh. Yeah, it's Friday." They might give us all the support and then not do that, but then audiences might go, "Yeahhh … no." You just can't be sure. What I do know is that it's the show it should be, and we've got some really dope notions. It's going to work very well for people who either love the Marvel universe or for people who've never dipped a toe in the Marvel universe.
  • Options
    I'm thinking Torchwood, here. Downey Jr. has done network TV before (alley McBeal) Sam Jackson is such a geek he might do it just for giggles. If HIMYM is really wrapping up Cobie Smulders might be happy to move to a new series with a very different premise (to avoid typecasting etc.) this is a lot of wishful thinking but this could be all right. I want the guy playing Galaga in the movie to come back as Eric O'Grady. (come on thats FUNNY!)
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

I honestly don't think it will be procedural. More than any other network (besides CW), ABC is known for developing serialized dramas. Some may have procedural elements, but are overall serialized. Whedon and his cohorts are also known for their serialized, long-term storytelling. I wouldn't think they would get these people who specialize in serialized stories to develop a procedural project on a network that usually shies away from procedural storytelling.

The show may be episodic, at least initially, but I doubt it will be a procedural. I know a lot of people tend to think those two are interchangeable, but they're not.

Serialized would certainly be nice, or even a Hill Street Blues-style fusion of serialization and procedural.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Downey Jr. has done network TV before (alley McBeal)

RDJ's career had not finished tailspinning when he was on Ally McBeal. He's in a whole different place now.

That given, I could see him doing a sweeps guest shot.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Downey Jr. has done network TV before (alley McBeal)

RDJ's career had not finished tailspinning when he was on Ally McBeal. He's in a whole different place now.

That given, I could see him doing a sweeps guest shot.
    No lie there. But, that dude's career has been all over the place for years. at this point i wonder if he doesn't appreciate the times when jobs are available and take them while they're being offered. then again he could be a short sighted douche and never look beyond the now. i've never met the man.

either way. i'd like to see him in either of his suits. :)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

Seems to me a procedural format (networks *love* procedurals) centered on a field team is the most likely. (Think NCIS)

Stories would deal with lower-scale villains and the occasional new hero recruitment, with a running subplot involving Hydra or A.I.M. or the like.

Honestly, @Matt, some sort of LA Office setup wouldn't surprise me at all. TV budgets being what they are.

That, or an LA or NY office that is actually shot on a Canadian soundstage.
  • Options
    like NCIS LA starring LL Cool J? it does get a little silly at times doesn't it?
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Seems to me a procedural format (networks *love* procedurals) centered on a field team is the most likely. (Think NCIS)

Stories would deal with lower-scale villains and the occasional new hero recruitment, with a running subplot involving Hydra or A.I.M. or the like.

Honestly, @Matt, some sort of LA Office setup wouldn't surprise me at all. TV budgets being what they are.

That, or an LA or NY office that is actually shot on a Canadian soundstage.
    Ah Vancouver, Everycity, USA!
  • Options
    Character breakdowns.

TV Line

SKYE | This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD | Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE | Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS | These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Character breakdowns.

TV Line

SKYE | This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD | Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE | Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS | These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

Sounds like the cast of a procedural to me.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

tazmaniak said:

Character breakdowns.

TV Line

If they add a high tech black Mustang with Val Kilmer's voice this sounds like the Knight Rider reboot cast.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

tazmaniak said:

Character breakdowns.

TV Line

I don't watch too many procedurals, but how are the characters different from a serialized show? And how can you tell from character breakdowns?
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

WetRats said:

tazmaniak said:

Character breakdowns.

TV Line

I don't watch too many procedurals, but how are the characters different from a serialized show? And how can you tell from character breakdowns?
    Because I've watched too much TV over the years?

Plus the team dynamics have that "mission of the week" feel to them.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

tazmaniak said:

WetRats said:

tazmaniak said:

Character breakdowns.

TV Line

Because I've watched too much TV over the years?

Plus the team dynamics have that "mission of the week" feel to them.
    A current popular trend skin grafted onto a run-of-the-mill concept doesn't make it a new idea. I'd almost prefer the series to be vain of Mission: Impossible, 24, or Homeland to at least get something different from 1/3 of the TV shows on the networks right now.

M
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Crazy thing about this is that I used the same terms to describe the CGS crew to someone. Weird huh?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Matt said:

If Star Wars was still in the middle of a 9 movie story & Lucas put out a TV series about new Rebel characters who spend most of the time handling adventures on Tattooine with either no appearance, cameo appearances, or archival movie footage of main characters, would you still watch it? Especially if their adventures have nothing to do with the plot of forthcoming movies?

to be honest, yes.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

Crazy thing about this is that I used the same terms to describe the CGS crew to someone. Weird huh?

CGS is a procedural, isn't it?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    KyleMoyer said:

If so which CGS member is David Caruso?

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

KyleMoyer said:

If so which CGS member is David Caruso?
    Hell with Caruso, which one's Pauley Perrette?