Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What indie book do you really enjoy right now?

What indie book do you really enjoy right now?

A simple question if it is mainstream DC or Marvel it doesn't count.

Matthew

Comments

• mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    It is a back & forth struggle between Saga & Fatale over at Image as to which title is on top. Fables & Fairest are really good series at Vertigo but I could not add them to the list. I really do miss my fix of Usagi Yojimbo.

Matthew
  • danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Fables and The Walking Dead have been my top books since getting back into comics 6 years ago however right now it has to be Locke and Key. It's a pitch perfect book in my opinion. The story's great, the characters feel real and the art is amazing. And only one story arc left to go before its all done.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2012
    I'm plowing my way through Girl Genius. I'm currently on book 9 (as of this post 11 books in the series have been released). I'm also reading Cerebus from the beginning. I'm taking a self-imposed hiatus from new material. My backlog is such that I can't justify spending more on new comics until I tackle my ever-growing queue. Another book I'm enjoying and highly recommend is the Doctor Who/STtNG crossover, but not having stepped foot in a comic shop for about a month now, I'm an issue or two behind on that series.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The only current indy books I am reading are The Boys and Walking Dead. But I have been plowing my way through lots of 80s indy stuff. Stuff like Badger,Grimjack,Megaton Man,Jon Sable Freelance,Death Rattle and any Richard Corben stuff I own.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    For me it's got to be saga. What can i ssy that hasn't already been said! Such a good book.

Honourable mentions go to ghostbusters and atomic robo.

I'm getting through the ghostbusters in trade and loving every minute. It really brings back the feel of the movies.

I like what red 5 do in general. We Kill Monsters is good fun. But atomic robo is even more. Whitty dialogue and great art make for a really good book. Good thing about atomic robo is you can jump on with any arc and you won't need to know any of the history. But you'll get a real fun story.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited September 2012
    Walking Dead and Chew.

Never know what's going to happen in either of those, and I love it.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited September 2012
    The easier question to answer is what indy book(s) are you not enjoying because there is just so much good stuff out there right now. I haven't read this much indy stuff since the first three to five years of Image.

Narrowing a choice to just one or two titles is not easy.

• TrevTrev Posts: 310
    edited September 2012
    Easily saga for me. Then a slew of others. Atomic robo, Invincible and chew the next closest.
  • Trev said:

Easily saga for me. Then a slew of others. Atomic robo, Invincible and chew the next closest.

Yea Saga for me as well, its probably my favorite book right now.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    You can add my name to the growing list of Chew supporters. While at this year's first annual ImageExpo, I purchased the first two omnivore editions directly from the series' creators. Up until that point, I had never read so much as a single issue. But rather than try before I buy, I bit the proverbial bullet and took advantage of their buy both hardcovers and save offer. I say "small risk" for Chew was a title that came highly recommended by friends whose tastes mirror my own more often than not.
    I ended up devouring those hardbound editions in one weekend.
  • Saga, hell yeah, danger club, executive assistants, witchblade, darkness, lord of the jungle, artifacts, charismagic, space 1999, lady mechanika, Argo 5, 2000ad, harvest, fathom, manhattan projects, Higher earth, John Henry, neozoic, mindfield, planetoid.....
  • TobyToby Posts: 91
    Finished off Irredeemable recently and now I am half way through Ex Machina. During the run, I misplaced issue 25 and read #1 of Y the Last Man. BKV, sure can grab you.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    There was a sale a while ago from Comixology on Jeff Smith's new RASL series. I picked up the collected volumes and dang, that was a great read.
  • Rachel Rising has been great. Maybe my favourite book out right now. From my experience, it's best read in blocks.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2012
    1. Saga (Easily the best book being sold right now)
    2. Planetoid
    3. Manhattan Projects
    4. Hypernaturals

(Walking Dead and Fables I buy in Dlx HCs)

• KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    ok it's not DC or Marvel so I think it counts

The Buffyverse books are pretty good right now, Angel & Faith being the best of the group right now. Which shouldn't be a surprise since it's got Christos Gage doing the writing. I have high hopes for the Willow book in previews this month.

There was another book I'd picked up a few issues of so far and that's Whispers but I haven't seen any more of it but the first 3 were pretty good.
  • Best indy I'm currently reading is Mouse Guard: Black Axe, but, man, the irregular schedule is killing me.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just finished the fourth(!) omnibus of Hack/Slash. Think what you will, this is one of the most fun books out there. Great characters, from Cassie to Vlad to Cat Curio to Pooch (I *LOVE* Pooch! If I ever meet Seeley again I'm getting a Pooch sketch from him.), fun storylines, a little fanservice...okay a LOT of fanservice...this is a series that will likely never leave my bookshelf (except for copious amounts of rereading).
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012

Best indy I'm currently reading is Mouse Guard: Black Axe, but, man, the irregular schedule is killing me.

Waiting for the HC on Mouseguard Black Axe patiently. Just reading other stuff in the mean time to fill the void. I read the 3 story collection of Blacksad from Dark Horse it was gorgeous artwork to the highest caliber possible w/ stories that are not the usual paint by the numbers method; I was surprised that the story & art worked so well together.

Matthew

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mguy1977 said:

Waiting for the HC on Mouseguard Black Axe patiently. Just reading other stuff in the mean time to fill the void. I read the 3 story collection of Blacksad from Dark Horse it was gorgeous artwork to the highest caliber possible w/ stories that are not the usual paint by the numbers method; I was surprised that the story & art worked so well together.

Matthew

I think it would be hard to read these in single issues. Besides the Archaia packaging it so wonderful, why wouldn't you get them collected? I wonder why Peterson hasn't changed his model for releasing them? Put out a book a year, people will wait.

I've also recently finished the first two "Parker" books I bought on a Comixology sale. Those were amazingly excellent.
  • fredzilla said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

I think it would be hard to read these in single issues. Besides the Archaia packaging it so wonderful, why wouldn't you get them collected? I wonder why Peterson hasn't changed his model for releasing them? Put out a book a year, people will wait.

I've also recently finished the first two "Parker" books I bought on a Comixology sale. Those were amazingly excellent.
    Personally, I prefer to get these -- like most comics I read -- in single issues first rather than wait for the trade. It's more affordable, for one thing, to get a single issue or two in order to determine if it's worth getting a trade version. (Usually, I only decide to get a trade version if I really, really liked the single issues to begin with, and I want a good copy for the shelves.) Secondly, the sales of the singles really determine whether or not a book is going to get a trade; if the sales aren't there for the singles, then doing a trade is likely to be an unwanted risk. Thirdly, in the case of Mouse Guard at least, the artist is on record as stating that he doesn't even begin work on an issue until it's been solicited; that's because the sudden crush of an immediate deadline is what spurs his creative juices into gear -- and what, ultimately, makes the book late. If he only did trade versions, this approach would only make the release date even later, maybe by a year.
  • I've really enjoyed the 1st few issues of Revival, thanks to an episode of CGS. Its a great setting, genuinely creepy and with an unusual take on the undead. The art is fantastic as well. I know why you guys like Mike Norton so much now.