Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cerebus Digital is here!!

If you've heard all about Dave Sim's Cerebus and have always wanted to check it out - and especially if you're into getting your comics digitally - here's a perfect NEW way to do so:

http://www.cerebusdownloads.com/

They're starting off with the book many people call the funniest of the 16 Cerebus volumes: High Society. It's VERY accessible - you don't need to have ever read Cerebus. You can jump right in from the start - it's a 25 issue/500 page story. You can get the first issue (# 26) FREE, and the 2nd issue (# 27) for 99 cents.

Well worth checking out.

e
L nny

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hardback collection coming from IDW when it's done.

Along with the (now apparently multi-volume) cover collection.

It's a good time again to be a Cerebus fan!
  • Options
    Personally, as much as I enjoyed the totality of the series, I always preferred the first volume, Cerebus, best. The first 25 issues were more parody than satire, and I always thought they were funnier as a result. Plus, the continuity was a bit looser and most of the stories were compressed into single issues, so you didn't need to read thirty issues to get a ten-minute story.
  • Options

Personally, as much as I enjoyed the totality of the series, I always preferred the first volume, Cerebus, best. The first 25 issues were more parody than satire, and I always thought they were funnier as a result. Plus, the continuity was a bit looser and most of the stories were compressed into single issues, so you didn't need to read thirty issues to get a ten-minute story.

While I love the first volume, I think High Society was the high point of the series.

Sim had done his journeyman work in the first 25 issues, and C&S was the point where he achieved mastery of his craft.
  • Options
    The trifecta of High Society, Church and State I and Church and State II is so amazing and perfect. I continued to read on through I think volume seven or eight, but I found the series went in a direction that I just wasn't interested (very mystical, metaphysical, and introspective).
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I think Church & State (I&II) is the best volume(s) in terms of depth, art (Gerhard joins Sim in this book) AND comedy. But I can definitely see the argument that High Society is the funniest of the books - its just filled with one hilarious bit after another.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    WetRats said:

Along with the (now apparently multi-volume) cover collection.

It's a good time again to be a Cerebus fan!

Definitely the case, @wetrats! I think the overwhelming success of the recent Cerebus kickstarter campaign displayed to companies that there is a market for Cerebus, and where there's money to be made, there's people to make it!

e
    L nny

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Have any of you been following the thread at the Comics Journal website? A month or so ago Fantagraphics co-publisher Kim Thompson offered to publish Cerebus. Dave Sim wanted to make the negotiations public, so a thread was started on the Journals online message board. It's been closed down recently, but it makes for fascinating reading. I'd advise you to check it out.

http://www.tcj.com/dave-sim-responds-to-the-fantagraphics-offer/

For my part, I feel that High Society is the best jumping on point for new readers, though I don't feel it's Mr Sims strongest work. My personal favourite Volume is Book 13, Going Home, Mr Sims and Gerhards artwork just shine on these pages. The F.Scott Fitzgerrald character is pitch perfect, and the story itself is a compelling meditation on the artistic process and the pull it exerts on everyday life.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Apparently not. Ted Adams & Dave Sim made it clear in the most recent episode of Inkstuds that the HIGH SOCIETY AUDIO DIGITAL COMIC STORE 'DVD' COLLECTED EDITION that they are publishing will be a CD packaging (with additional goodies, perhaps a Cerebus bust, for example) of the audio/digital project, but is NOT a print edition of High Society.

Still no deal on new print editions of Cerebus.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Apparently not. Ted Adams & Dave Sim made it clear in the most recent episode of Inkstuds that the HIGH SOCIETY AUDIO DIGITAL COMIC STORE 'DVD' COLLECTED EDITION that they are publishing will be a CD packaging (with additional goodies, perhaps a Cerebus bust, for example) of the audio/digital project, but is NOT a print edition of High Society.

Still no deal on new print editions of Cerebus.
    Rats.

Maybe that'll be next week's announcement.