Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Art—No Drama

I've been enjoying talking with Matt over Twitter for the last few months and realized how much I miss posting on the forum (deadlines have kept me away). What I haven't missed is drama and shining a light on relationships and interactions that I would not otherwise be privy to (in another thread that I got sucked into earlier today).

I need a palate cleanser.

With that in mind, I'd like to invite everyone to post some cool comic art—whatever you've seen lately that makes you go: "Wow, comic art is cool!"

A friend emailed me a link to a Rima the Jungle Girl commission by Mark Schultz (Xenozoic, Man of Steel, various Alien and Predator books). I was, and still am, stunned by this. It still looks like Mark's work, but also has brushwork reminiscent of Rima artist Nester Redondo (and other members of the 70s Filipino school), particularly in the birds and Rima's hair.

See the collector's page (with other great art) here:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2120

Gorgeous rendering and terrific storytelling by Al Williamson and Carlos Garzon from Marvel's Bladerunner adaptation:

Beautiful brushwork and exquisite shadows on this Milton Caniff Steve Canyon page:

...So, what comic art has blown your mind lately?

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    What would life be without the 9th art :x
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Okay, Steve, that Sheena: Queen of the Jungle commission I have in the wings from you? Yeah...I need it to be on the Rima The Jungle Girl level...

Bwah ha ha haaaaa.... :)

Really beautiful rendering on that one, though...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I own a couple of Don Lawrence prints . His work on STORM is legendary.

a few samples

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Anything, ANYTHING, this guy does is magic:

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    This past weekend at the NY Comic-Con, I finally got to meet Sonny Liew, and artist I’ve long admired but who lives in Singapore and makes few U.S. appearances. I had a couple of enjoyable chats with him, so here’s a piece of his.

• Options
    Caught this on Facebook the other day. I love me some Pérez art.

chris
  • Options

Caught this on Facebook the other day. I love me some Pérez art.

chris

I know that's probably just a commissioned mock-up cover, but...

I really want to read that book!

• Options
    The original inked page for this is mine if I have the cojones and a couple dollars.
    It's on the wall at my LCS and was done by hometown boy Tom Derenick.
    It combines a bunch of stuff I love: WWII history, airplanes, Frankenstein, pin-ups.
    A glorious mash up.

I think I like it even more in black and white!
  • Options
    Great change of pace, Steve. I'll just direct everyone to my Tumblr for my entries.

Also, great to see you back, Marty. I would have posted that in that other crazy thread, but I'm trying to stay out of it.

John
    Chris
  • Options

Great change of pace, Steve. I'll just direct everyone to my Tumblr for my entries.

Also, great to see you back, Marty. I would have posted that in that other crazy thread, but I'm trying to stay out of it.

John
    Chris

You're a wiser man than me!

• Options

The original inked page for this is mine if I have the cojones and a couple dollars.
    It combines a bunch of stuff I love: WWII history, airplanes, Frankenstein, pin-ups.
    A glorious mash up.

I'd be interested to see the black-&-white just to see how the propeller was drawn. I'd also like to know whether Derenick blurred the propeller in Photoshop himself, or if Jose Villarrubia did that in his coloring. Either way it was very nicely done. One rare instance where a Photoshop effect truly contributes to the artwork. Maybe I'll ask Jose about it.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I've been enjoying talking with Matt over Twitter for the last few months and realized how much I miss posting on the forum (deadlines have kept me away). What I haven't missed is drama and shining a light on relationships and interactions that I would not otherwise be privy to (in another thread that I got sucked into earlier today).

I need a palate cleanser.

With that in mind, I'd like to invite everyone to post some cool comic art—whatever you've seen lately that makes you go: "Wow, comic art is cool!"

A friend emailed me a link to a Rima the Jungle Girl commission by Mark Schultz (Xenozoic, Man of Steel, various Alien and Predator books). I was, and still am, stunned by this. It still looks like Mark's work, but also has brushwork reminiscent of Rima artist Nester Redondo (and other members of the 70s Filipino school), particularly in the birds and Rima's hair.

See the collector's page (with other great art) here:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2120

Gorgeous rendering and terrific storytelling by Al Williamson and Carlos Garzon from Marvel's Bladerunner adaptation:

Beautiful brushwork and exquisite shadows on this Milton Caniff Steve Canyon page:

...So, what comic art has blown your mind lately?

Steve do you own that piece of Blade Runner original art? If you I am mega jealous.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

A glorious mash up.

I love this image. It would be really cool to see the black and white.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Here's a cool piece from a Auckland based artist called Jesca Marisa. Check out her website. It's got some beautiful work. http://www.jescamarisa.com/main.html

imagePhotobucket" />
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    The title double page splash from my favorite single issue of all time: Flash #79. Cool.

• Options
    @Pants do you own that awesome page?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

@Pants do you own that awesome page?

Oh yeah! :D
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

A girl drew this.

If you're not reading Dorohedoro by Q Hayashida, you're missing out.
  • Options

A glorious mash up.

I'd be interested to see the black-&-white just to see how the propeller was drawn. I'd also like to know whether Derenick blurred the propeller in Photoshop himself, or if Jose Villarrubia did that in his coloring. Either way it was very nicely done. One rare instance where a Photoshop effect truly contributes to the artwork. Maybe I'll ask Jose about it.
    For anyone who might be interested, Jose told me that he did the blurring in Photoshop by editorial request. The editor made a good call, and Jose pulled it off wonderfully.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    edited October 2012
    I don't remember how I found out about it, but James Stokoe did a Spider-Man "fan" comic, placing Peter in the Vietnam war, with the dialogue a letter to his Aunt May explaining why he went. Those pages can be found at this Comics Alliance post. And here's the opening splash

I was blown away when I saw this.

chris
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I was blown away when I saw this.

As am I.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm betting he’s a fan of Otomo’s work. I’ve been reading his Godzilla: Half-Century War mini-series, and it’s pretty darn good.

• Options
    I always liked this Alex Ross painting of Alan Moore and those characters most associated with him

chris
  • Options
    rsd3kbrsd3kb Posts: 6
    edited October 2012
    Would just like some honest feedback on a book in the making, have at thee

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    edited October 2012
    A buddy of mine bought this dps by gene colan and ever since I saw the pages I've started putting together a tomb of Dracula run. I am mesmerized by this art.

• Options
    Trev said:

A buddy of mine bought this dps by gene colan and ever since I saw the pages I've started putting together a tomb of Dracula run. I am mesmerized by this art.

I like Bob McLeod’s work, but he was not the best inker for Colan. If you like this piece, then you'll love the rest with Tom Palmer’s inking. Of course, it won't have the sepia wash, as this spread was for the Tomb of Dracula black-&-white magazine, not the comic. For what it's worth, I actually prefer reading ToD in the black-&-white Essentials format.
  • Options
    TobyToby Posts: 91
    kiwijase said:

Here's a cool piece from a Auckland based artist called Jesca Marisa. Check out her website. It's got some beautiful work. http://www.jescamarisa.com/main.html

imagePhotobucket" />

thanks for sharing this artist.

Does she sell any of her work?
  • Options
    Soooo much good art, soooo little time...