Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2013 Secret Santa Sketch Thread

Wow are we overdue on this one, but it's that time again. Time to pore over your old back issues you no longer want, sharpen your pencils and Crayolas and do some good for your fellow board members.

No idea what I'm talking about? Read on:

About five years back we started a "Not-so-Secret-Santa" Exchange on these boards. It's a great way to unload unwanted back issues, have something under your tree, and show your artistic skills to the world.

How it Works:
Post the following things to this thread:
1) Your screen name (yes, it's on your post, I know...just humor me...)
2) Domestic or International (I create two lists as some people, understandably, don't want to spend the dough to ship overseas)
3) Character(s) you want a sketch of (Don't ask for everyone in the Justice League, but offer alternatives, etc.)

Make sure you post by Midnight, Thanksgiving Day. On Black Friday I put all the names in the randomizer and posts the lists on a separate thread that day. Find the person you're a Santa for, PM them to get their mailing info, and by Christmas Day send out the following:

1) A sketch of the character they asked for. (See Q&A #2)
2) At the very least Three (3) old comics you no longer want (in good condition). We all have them, here's a chance to get rid of them. Some people go nuts and send trades, etc...the more you want to send the better.
3) When you get your sketch from your Santa, scan or post it up here somehow.

That's it! Fairly simple, eh? Now to the Q&A/Rules

Question 1
What if I want to get stuff but not actually send anything out?

A: Then you're a dick. To date we've only had two people on the blacklist. It's really simple: IF YOU CAN'T DO THIS DON'T PARTICIPATE. No one will think less of you if you don't want to do this, but we WILL if you leave someone hanging. It's not that difficult to ask you to spend maybe $5 shipping out some old books and a sketch. If it is, do us both a favor and just watch. It's free, and you're not pissing anyone off.

Question 2
I can't draw, do I *have* to do a sketch?

A: Hell yes. The fun of this is seeing just how much hidden talent is out there as well as how much talent NEEDS to remain hidden! :) Do a sketch, even if you totally suck at art. We're not looking for George Perez (unless you're just that damn good). Do the best you can to your own level, but do something.

Question 3
I have a lot more than 3 issues I want to get rid of.

A: Send whatever you'd like. 3 issues is the minimum. I've picked up those flat rate boxes before and stuffed them. Nobody's asking you to do that, but we all have at least 3 old issues we really don't want cluttering up the collection. Someone else might want them.

Question 4
My Santa never contacted me and it's mid-December. Am I screwed?

No, but it's a two-way street. You can always PM them with your info, and if you don't get a response in a reasonable amount of time, let me know and I can try contacting them. Again, so much of this is on the honor system, and it's really a testament that we've only had a couple people not do the honorable thing (meaning so many of us DO enjoy this and do it!).

Question 5
I'm not going to be able to get it shipped out by Christmas, but I don't want to be a dick like the guy in Question 1. What do I do?

Shit happens. Death in the family. Sudden trips. Expenses hit you didn't plan on. Nobody's going to cry foul if you end up sending something in January. Honest. Remember that you have your person's name and can PM THEM AND TELL THEM WHAT'S UP! Communication is key here. Now, if it turns out you can't fulfill your obligation, do me a favor and let ME know so I can make arrangements. It astounds me how few people do this until it's really too late. And of course, if you get something and THEN tell me you can't fulfill your end of it...you're still a dick like the guy in Question 1.

Simple enough? The posting list begins below. Hop to it. We only have a couple weeks.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2012
    1)John_Steed

2)International

3)Xena the Warrior Princess and/or Gabrielle, or the divine Miss Piggy as the Warrior Princess
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited November 2012
    1)Krescan

2)Domestic

3)The Thing, Hawkeye (before he was unmasked), or Batgirl (Barbra Gordon) whichever seems easiest for you please.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited November 2012
    1)Greg

2)Either

3)Space Ghost, Danger Mouse or Darkwing Duck
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited November 2012
    1.) Library Boy

2.) International

3.) Spider-Man. Or Carl Sagan. Or both if you're feeling ambitious!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    1. CaptShazam

2. Domestic

3. Capt Marvel (Shazam), Mary Marvel, Black Adam, or Zatanna.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    1. Kiwijase

2. International

3. Nexus, Cerebus, or Captain America.
  • Options
    1) ThreadKiller
    2) International
    3) Captain Marvel (new Ms. Marvel Costume), Red She-Hulk, or Hulk
  • Options
    Justin_TheBuckJustin_TheBuck Posts: 253
    edited November 2012
    1)Justin_TheBuck
    2)Domestic
    3) Any of the following: Blue Beetle (any ver),Taskmaster,Ka D'Argo,Booster Gold,Dr.Stange,The Toxic Avenger
  • Options
    1) ChrisBeckett

2) international

3) the Flash

chris
  • Options
    1). Neutron11
    2). Domestic
    3). Daredevil or Rocketeer

Thanks! Rob
  • Options
    Torchsong - Thanks for heading this thing up again! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

1.) EarthGBilly

2.) Domestic (but I'm not as poor as the last couple of years, so if you need an addition to the international list, I'm up for it. I just like the domestic so I can fill a box up real good!)

3.) Any of these - The Crimson Scarab (star of my defunct webcomic - can provide reference), Firestorm, or Bizarro.
  • Options
    1.) Bonovol
    2.) Domestic
    3.) Howard the Duck, the Vision, or Black Panther
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited November 2012
    1- shroud68
    2- Domestic
    3- Any Hunger Games character ( starting a new sketch book for my daughter so Peeta is prefered)
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited November 2012
    1) i_am_scifi
    2) Domestic
    3) Kid Omni-Man, Kyle Rayner Green Lantern, or Scarlet Spider
  • Options
    1 - jkkeller914
    2 - domestic
    3 - Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Dr. Fate, or Banshee
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited November 2012
    Awesome! Glad to participate another year!

1 - ctowner1

2 - domestic

3 - Whiplash (extra credit: fighting Iron Man), Destroyer (with flames in the drawing), Hulk (green) (extra credit: fighting Hulk (red)), Wolverine (extra credit: fighting Hawkeye), or Willie Mays. It's for my 8 year old son - those were his instructions! :)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    It's been a few years but looking forward to doing it again!

1. ajcasperite..(formerly AquaDad)

2. Domestic

3. Darkseid, The Demon, Galactus, Thor, Godzilla, Ultraman, Transformers, Silver
    Surfer, Moon Knight. No pressure:) I'll scan and post after I open Christmas morning.
  • Options
    1-Dan_Cap
    2-Domestic
    3-Any wildcats,youngblood, or 90's valiant character (90's cheese please!)

I think whoever got burned last year I did an extra sketch for so if your new to the forum don't be scared of getting
    burned, join the list, someone will figure it out.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just a quick bump - this is the last week. Cutoff is Thanksgiving night. I'll post the list the next day whenever I get over my turkey coma!
  • Options
    Allrighty, the list is closed (except for yours truly who forgot to put his stuff in). If you snoozed, you loozed until next year.

1) Torchsong
    2) Domestic (or in a pinch will help round out the international)
    3) This year the theme has been Elektra in my sketchbook, so we'll go with that for this as well.
  • Options
    Okay I believe I have us all set up and ready to go!

DOMESTIC:
    Your name - Who you're Sending To
    What they'd like:

Torchsong Krescan
    The Thing, Hawkeye (before he was unmasked), or Batgirl (Barbra Gordon) whichever seems easiest for you please.

shroud68 CaptShazam
    Capt Marvel (Shazam), Mary Marvel, Black Adam, or Zatanna.

Neutron11 Justin_TheBuck
    Any of the following: Blue Beetle (any ver),Taskmaster,Ka D'Argo,Booster Gold,Dr.Stange,The Toxic Avenger

Krescan Neutron11
    Daredevil or Rocketeer

Justin_TheBuck EarthGBilly
    Any of these - The Crimson Scarab (star of my defunct webcomic - can provide reference), Firestorm, or Bizarro.

jkkeller914 Bonovol
    Howard the Duck, the Vision, or Black Panther

i_am_scifi shroud68
    Any Hunger Games character ( starting a new sketch book for my daughter so Peeta is prefered)

Greg i_am_scifi
    Kid Omni-Man, Kyle Rayner Green Lantern, or Scarlet Spider

EarthGBilly jkkeller914
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Dr. Fate, or Banshee

Dan_Cap ctowner1
    Whiplash (extra credit: fighting Iron Man), Destroyer (with flames in the drawing), Hulk (green) (extra credit: fighting Hulk (red)), Wolverine (extra credit: fighting Hawkeye), or Willie Mays. It's for my 8 year old son - those were his instructions!

ctowner1 ajcasperite..(formerly AquaDad)
    Darkseid, The Demon, Galactus, Thor, Godzilla, Ultraman, Transformers, Silver
    Surfer, Moon Knight. No pressure:) I'll scan and post after I open Christmas morning.

CaptShazam Dan_Cap
    Any wildcats,youngblood, or 90's valiant character (90's cheese please!)
    "
    Bonovol Greg
    Space Ghost, Danger Mouse or Darkwing Duck

ajcasperite..(formerly AquaDad) TorchsongElektra (traditional costume (red if you're coloring it (You don't have to- just in case you were! :) )).

INTERNATIONAL
    Same as above:

ThreadKiller John_Steed
    Xena the Warrior Princess and/or Gabrielle, or the divine Miss Piggy as the Warrior Princess

ChrisBeckett Library Boy
    Spider-Man. Or Carl Sagan. Or both if you're feeling ambitious!

Library Boy Kiwijase
    Nexus, Cerebus, or Captain America

Kiwijase ThreadKiller
    Captain Marvel (new Ms. Marvel Costume), Red She-Hulk, or Hulk

John_Steed ChrisBeckett
    the Flash

Alright the orders are in - Let me know if there's any problems with any of these and if not, get to sketching, people! :)
  • Options
    Chris Snell, i still owe you...! has it been a year??
  • Options
    Dan_CapDan_Cap Posts: 39
    I got Ctowner and he has been very patient I hurt my shoulder before the holiday and was not able to get my work done until now, thanks for waiting. HULK FIGHT
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Dan_Cap said:

I got Ctowner and he has been very patient I hurt my shoulder before the holiday and was not able to get my work done until now, thanks for waiting. HULK FIGHT

That is AWESOME! @Dan_Cap !!!! And no problem at all on the wait (expecially as I'm making my own guy, @ajcasperite , wait (sorry, @ajcasperite !!! It's coming soon!! :( )

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Dan_CapDan_Cap Posts: 39
    Thanks, Lenny glad you like it, :)
  • Options
    That is AWESOME! @Dan_Cap !!!! And no problem at all on the wait (expecially as I'm making my own guy, @ajcasperite , wait (sorry, @ajcasperite !!! It's coming soon!! :( )

e
    L nny
    I'm not taking my xmas tree down until it gets here. I just sit in my big chair sippin cocoa and stare at the fireplace. No rush. Of course I have to explain to everyone why I'm still wearing my Christmas themed footie pajamas. Yep, no rush.