Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hellblazer Cancelled?!

Just seen on iFanboy (sorry, no direct link) that Hellblazer is to be cancelled with #300, and replaced with stories of a younger John Constantine. I echo the sentiments there that this is a shit move by DC, Hellblazer is the one longstanding title that I own the complete run of in floppies, but accept the fact that sales probably dictated the need for something new for the title.

Do I carry on collecting the title? Honestly I don't know. The creative team doesn't inspire me in any way, and the neither does the basis of the new title. But a good story, is a good story so, I guess I'm going tohave to wait out and see what the word is

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2012
    Hey look! It's exactly what I thought would happen when Constantine was put back into the DCU (where he barely ever spent any time in the first place as a supporting character before being his own thing in a non-superhero world for 20+ years). I guess they wanted to at least get to the 300 mark. I give them credit for doing that, at least.

This is a further reminder that Didio can't share. And once he was promoted above Karen Berger, he no longer has to share. There can't be a Vertigo Swamp Thing series if there is going to be a DCU one. We saw that when the China Mielville Swamp Thing at Vertigo got cancelled before publication, as Swamp Thing was going to be in the DCU. And now, it seems, there can't be a Vertigo Hellblazer series for mature readers if there is going to be a DCU Constantine.

I can't say I am that surprised. Between sales numbers, and the solicitations leading up to #300, I was getting the feeling that 300 would be a wrap. But, perhaps stubbornly, if Hellblazer had to end, I would be happier if it was not to clear the way for a DCU Constantine. Because if Hellblazer simply ended, then I would be left imaging that Vertigo might still do the odd OGN, mini, or anthology story about John Constantine.

But the idea that he is getting a DCU ongoing means he is a magic-using, right-hook punching superhero now. And I expect that is where he will stay.

Well. It was a good run. Especially given the years and markets it survived through, 300 issues of Hellblazer is a remarkable and unusual thing. Glad we got that many.

Also a link to more information at The Beat here.

In a word? Boooo.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The current (and by current I mean the past 25 years or so) comic climate has pretty much conditioned me to accept that a number is just a number, and something living rent-free in my brain if I'm focused too hard on it.

It's an amazing thing for ANY Vertigo title to reach 300 issues, though.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Torchsong said:

The current (and by current I mean the past 25 years or so) comic climate has pretty much conditioned me to accept that a number is just a number, and something living rent-free in my brain if I'm focused too hard on it.

It's an amazing thing for ANY Vertigo title to reach 300 issues, though.

To be clear, though, more is changing than the number. This is not Uncanny X-Men or Batman Inc. getting cancelled to launch with a new #1 to try to attract new readers as they continue the story.

This is the stand-alone, aging in real time 20+ year, rated R horror title getting cancelled to allow for a shared-superhero-universe, PG-13 reboot with a younger actor. (And probably no more stories about religion or the darker horror themes, I would guess-- as not all mature-rated content is to do with swearing and nipples).

It is sort of like the transition from Punisher MAX to a Punisher In Space ongoing.

Personally, no thanks.

And, again, it is a privilidged complaint, as we did get 300 issues of the real book as well as several OGNs and minis, and that is a lucky, long run with a lot of great stuff in there. But it is still a bummer.
  • Options
    Yeah, 300 issues is a healthy run for any comic; that puts it a bit shy of thirty years? No, I guess 25 years is correct. Still a long time, longer than most comics. I can see doing a reboot about now in order to keep it fresh.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Outside of Fables and it's spinoffs, is there much left worth getting from the vertigo line?
  • Options
    Fables is really pretty much it.

Hellblazer was the last of the original DC titles pulled together to form the spine of the Vertigo line. The others were Sandman, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol and Animal Man. Swamp Thing and Animal Man are back, but weren't reintegrated into Vertigo.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I assume Bill Willingham would be able to move Fables to somewhere else when Vertigo closes.* I just wonder where Karen Berger will end up, Top Shelf? IDW?

*Yes I said 'when', I think it's only a matter of time now.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Marathon said:

I assume Bill Willingham would be able to move Fables to somewhere else when Vertigo closes.* I just wonder where Karen Berger will end up, Top Shelf? IDW?

Fables (The new 52) issue # 1: Darkseid invades Fabletown.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I'm not surprised. Based on sales, the title seemed to be reaching a point where even long-term fans were slowly dropping off. It's tough to attract new readers to a 300 issue series taking place in real time. I've tried to dive in several times, but always felt like I'd missed the boat too much to really enjoy it.

It's a shame to see DC allow Vertigo to die this slow death, though. For years I kept wondering what the next big push would be for the imprint, but now I don't think it's going to happen.
  • Options

Outside of Fables and it's spinoffs, is there much left worth getting from the vertigo line?

The Unwritten. I used to have a Vertigo podcast yet it's hard to see myself resume it since there isn't any interesting Vertigo titles to talk about or read. I'm reading more comics, but the majority of them are from Image and IDW and a couple of new-52 titles.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    That sounds like a change from the way they operated a few years ago, where you'd have, say, Jonah Hex guest-starring in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold tie-in book from Johnny DC and then appearing in his own book at the same time which was clearly aimed at an older audience, and they never batted an eyelash at that. The gap between an R-rated Hellblazer and a PG-13 Constantine seems a lot smaller to me than that.

Of course, it may be a purely business thing, that the market won't really bear 2 John Constantine solo books and they'd rather back the one that fits better with the rest of their major publishing effort rather than an imprint in apparent decline.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    It's a damn shame. The book has averaged roughly 9500 copies a month over the last several months, so it's not surprising.

I know it's fashionable to blame Didio for everything we don't like, but the sign over the door doesn't say Dan Didio's Comic Book Emporium. He reports to other people, and they're exactly the kind of people that say things like this:

"Why don't you have a book about that guy from the Keanu Reeves movie?"

"You want a book about Ted 'Theodore' Logan?"

"No. The devil movie."

"Oh, the Devil's Advo..."

"Don't be a smart-ass."

"We do have a book about Constantine. It's called Hellblazer. The movie lost a ton of money, so the more we distance from it, the better!"

"We've got shiny discs that say Constantine, and they're the only way we made any cash on that dog. Besides, we'll probably reboot it. It's been 7 years, so it's a whole new audience now. Maybe we can get that shiny vampire kid. Change the title on the book."

"But we've got a pretty loyal audience on that book, it's been going for 20 years"

"How big an audience?"

"It sells just under 10,000 a month. It's really different. He ages in real time, so he's in his 50s now."

"The shiny vampire kid is in his 20s, so that means your guy has to be in his 20s. Less than 10,000? Kill the book, change the title."

I just think that the culture under the DC Entertainment banner is more Warner Bros driven than it is DC Comics driven, and that means a whole different way of looking at things.

Under the Levitz regime, Vertigo enjoyed prestige status. That's because the company was run by a guy who had worked for DC since he was a teenager, a guy who was a writer and creator of comics first, and an executive second, even when he was only an executive. Then he was replaced by a Hollywood suit. Diane Nelson ran the Harry Potter franchise, and she's going to put up with a book with as dismal a P&L as many of the Vertigo titles? Everyone often says that the single issues are just there to finance the placement in the bookstores for the trades, but sadly, it's only a few titles that are having decent sales in that space.

I pretty much thought Vertigo's days were numbered as soon as Warner decided to pay more attention to what happens in the funny book space. Warner doesn't want a prestige line of books, unless they sell a crapload.

I think Top Shelf would be very lucky to get someone like Karen Berger, with her connections and her long proven ability to shepherd great talent, and quality books.
  • Options
    Marathon said:

I think Fables is the only thing that's keeping the Vertigo banner open.
  • Options
    bleedingcool.com/2012/11/08/dc-cancels-its-longest-running-series-hellblazer-and-replaces-it-with-new-52-title-constantine/

I agree about the sales etc, but like as mentioned the odd miniseries picking up form 300 would of been good. I have been sat here thinking how can they wipe out 25 years...then I remembered they have done that with everything else - what is one more title! Ah well DC until Wally West, the real Tim Drake, a fat Amanda Waller, and Donna Troy nuke the new 52 universe you have pretty much killed any interest I had in it. I can't believe I was so pro the new 52 at the start, maybe I should go put my trust in a little pony!
  • Options

I disagree. While Vertigo is far from the time when it had Fables and Hellblazer running alongside creator-owned titles like Y: The Last Man and 100 Bullets, there is still some strong work left, like The Unwritten and American Vampire (I would normally put Scalped and Sweet Tooth at the head of the list, but they are wrapped and wrapping soon). And the last few years have continued to have some great minis like Joe The Barbarian, Daytripper, Punk Rock Jesus and Spaceman.

So while they are definitely in the shadow of where they used to be, they are not just an imprint for Fables. At least not yet. But it does seem like their best days are behind them.

I think the main reason for Vertigo no longer being the go-to place for creator-owned work is the ascendence of Image in the last 10 years. What you hear about the deal Image offers the creators that publish with them is that they may leave it to the creators to foot more of the bill, and to do more of the promotional work for their book. . . but they also take 0% of the media sales money (from what I heard BKV say at the Saga panel at NYCC). So if you are a creator, especially one who already has enough capital to wait for the back end (or even buy out collaborators at a page rate), and who already has a name to help move the book, then I am not surprised that Image is the destination. Because if your book becomes the next Walking Dead, do you really want to have to share that money?
  • Options
    David_D said:

I disagree. While Vertigo is far from the time when it had Fables and Hellblazer running alongside creator-owned titles like Y: The Last Man and 100 Bullets, there is still some strong work left, like The Unwritten and American Vampire (I would normally put Scalped and Sweet Tooth at the head of the list, but they are wrapped and wrapping soon). And the last few years have continued to have some great minis like Joe The Barbarian, Daytripper, Punk Rock Jesus and Spaceman.

So while they are definitely in the shadow of where they used to be, they are not just an imprint for Fables. At least not yet. But it does seem like their best days are behind them.

I think the main reason for Vertigo no longer being the go-to place for creator-owned work is the ascendence of Image in the last 10 years. What you hear about the deal Image offers the creators that publish with them is that they may leave it to the creators to foot more of the bill, and to do more of the promotional work for their book. . . but they also take 0% of the media sales money (from what I heard BKV say at the Saga panel at NYCC). So if you are a creator, especially one who already has enough capital to wait for the back end (or even buy out collaborators at a page rate), and who already has a name to help move the book, then I am not surprised that Image is the destination. Because if your book becomes the next Walking Dead, do you really want to have to share that money?
    I agree with you on all those points, especially with the books you mentioned. The fact that Image is a better option for the creator doesn't help Vertigo at all either. At an average of 5-10K units, I don't know that the label is giving them a sales bump either. Fables sells at least double what the average other Vertigo title sells. While it may be glib for us to say (because I said it too) that Fables is it, to the bean counters, and they're the guys that really have the power now, it's mostly true.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think we need a pool as to when they'll shut the Vertigo imprint down. It'll coincide with Berger's resignation.
  • Options
    Big_Daddy_SummersBig_Daddy_Summers Posts: 84
    edited November 2012
    I cant wait for the new 52 Vertigo reboot where Death is now a tech savy 16 year old nerd from the 80's who walks the Earth once a year awaiting the return of Automan.
  • Options
    @Paul Fables is the most important to the bean counters, I'm sure (at least in terms of new product- I wouldn't be surprised if some of the backlist is still strong in the book market).

But the earlier question was whether Fables was the only thing "worth getting", and I definitely disagree that when it comes to work worth getting Fables was it. Quality-wise there is still things worth getting, and probably will continue to be. They are just fewer are further between then back in the day.
  • Options
    The New Deadwardians was good.
  • Options
    Paul said:

It's a damn shame. The book has averaged roughly 9500 copies a month over the last several months, so it's not surprising.

I know it's fashionable to blame Didio for everything we don't like, but the sign over the door doesn't say Dan Didio's Comic Book Emporium. He reports to other people, and they're exactly the kind of people that say things like this:

"Why don't you have a book about that guy from the Keanu Reeves movie?"

"You want a book about Ted 'Theodore' Logan?"

"No. The devil movie."

"Oh, the Devil's Advo..."

"Don't be a smart-ass."

"We do have a book about Constantine. It's called Hellblazer. The movie lost a ton of money, so the more we distance from it, the better!"

"We've got shiny discs that say Constantine, and they're the only way we made any cash on that dog. Besides, we'll probably reboot it. It's been 7 years, so it's a whole new audience now. Maybe we can get that shiny vampire kid. Change the title on the book."

"But we've got a pretty loyal audience on that book, it's been going for 20 years"

"How big an audience?"

"It sells just under 10,000 a month. It's really different. He ages in real time, so he's in his 50s now."

"The shiny vampire kid is in his 20s, so that means your guy has to be in his 20s. Less than 10,000? Kill the book, change the title."

I just think that the culture under the DC Entertainment banner is more Warner Bros driven than it is DC Comics driven, and that means a whole different way of looking at things.

Under the Levitz regime, Vertigo enjoyed prestige status. That's because the company was run by a guy who had worked for DC since he was a teenager, a guy who was a writer and creator of comics first, and an executive second, even when he was only an executive. Then he was replaced by a Hollywood suit. Diane Nelson ran the Harry Potter franchise, and she's going to put up with a book with as dismal a P&L as many of the Vertigo titles? Everyone often says that the single issues are just there to finance the placement in the bookstores for the trades, but sadly, it's only a few titles that are having decent sales in that space.

I pretty much thought Vertigo's days were numbered as soon as Warner decided to pay more attention to what happens in the funny book space. Warner doesn't want a prestige line of books, unless they sell a crapload.

I think Top Shelf would be very lucky to get someone like Karen Berger, with her connections and her long proven ability to shepherd great talent, and quality books.

I think that is all well-put, and certainly the overall corporate culture is most to blame. I usually hesitate from blaming Didio specifically, as I agree there may be larger things at play. However, when Mieville's Swamp Thing got cancelled at Vertigo a few years back, even though he was several issues into writing it, Mieville specifically named Dido as the person that decided that, as there were plans for Swamp Thing to show up in Brightest Day, he couldn't be in both places. . . and not long before this Didio was promoted above Berger. . . and so the Swamp Thing at Vertigo got cancelled. So even though I know I am speculating, this smells the same to me.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I think that is all well-put, and certainly the overall corporate culture is most to blame. I usually hesitate from blaming Didio specifically, as I agree there may be larger things at play. However, when Mieville's Swamp Thing got cancelled at Vertigo a few years back, even though he was several issues into writing it, Mieville specifically named Dido as the person that decided that, as there were plans for Swamp Thing to show up in Brightest Day, he couldn't be in both places. . . and not long before this Didio was promoted above Berger. . . and so the Swamp Thing at Vertigo got cancelled. So even though I know I am speculating, this smells the same to me.

The two paths are not mutually exclusive though. Just because someone above him makes the call, doesn't mean that he's not the guy who has to deliver the message. I wouldn't deny that he's the bagman, but it doesn't mean that it's necessarily what he wanted to do.

That doesn't make him any better, it's just that I think people too easily dump corporate decisions (and only the bad ones) at his feet.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I thought Spaceman was great, but when something that good, with a strong creative team, still found itself with less then stellar sales, it made me wonder what Vertigo was doing wrong.

And I've fallen behind on Unwritten, but loved what I'd read of it. Another title that, while it does okay, doesn't have the buzz that something like Saga gets.
  • Options
    Paul said:

David_D said:

The two paths are not mutually exclusive though. Just because someone above him makes the call, doesn't mean that he's not the guy who has to deliver the message. I wouldn't deny that he's the bagman, but it doesn't mean that it's necessarily what he wanted to do.

That doesn't make him any better, it's just that I think people too easily dump corporate decisions (and only the bad ones) at his feet.
    I take your point. Regardless, I do with that Berger and Didio were still on the same row of the org chart. I don't think this would have happened if that were still the case. But, who knows. One can't prove a hypothetical.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I read more Vertigo titles than New52 titles or Marvel titles, and I approve this message.

Sorry, I'm in political ad withdrawal.
  • Options

the new Vertigo 52 Sandman seems interesting though...

"OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!"

I would buy that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  • Options
    Over the last 5 - 7 years, Vertigo has fallen on very hard times, which is a damn shame. In the 90's, they were the saving grace of mainstream comics, and now they are an afterthought at DC. You NEVER hear about groundbreaking work from the imprint, and while Fables does well, it's not like the book is pushing any boundaries.

I still check out their books (and Punk Rock Jesus is amazingly good), for the most part, it seems like the line has been forgotten by DC. Maybe Karen Berger has lost interest and is working toward retirement.
  • Options
    Maybe Karen Berger simply no longer has the clout she used to have.

Frankly, with a few notable exceptions, I always thought the Vertigo line generally tended towards the pretentious. For every key, thought-provoking series they put out (Sandman, Books Of Magic or Hellblazer, for examples), they would put out another series that was notable only for some dark vision or freedom to use 'adult language' or just being pretty full of itself. There was some great stuff in the Vertigo line, but it had its share of stinkers as well, and I rarely found much of the line to be as entertaining as the mainstream DC line.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If Vertigo had a less consistent hit rate, I would say it is because it aimed higher. And therefore when it hit, often those books were some of the best around.