Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

52 Variant Covers for Justice League of America #1

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I guess the us territory of Guam doesnt rate a cover.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

No cover for Chomorrans!

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    WetRats said:

No cover for Chomorrans!

Hafa adai.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

No cover for Chomorrans!

Hafa adai.
    Hafa adai's better than no adai at all.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I understand nobody is actually being coerced into buying even a single issue. If one does buy all 52 variations - how about giving some bucks to charity on top of it. I mean - such a person must be loaded.

If I ever should develop interest in the (new) Justice League of America I'll buy the TPB or HC.

This is very cynical. I would never buy all 52. Id never buy more than 1. But the idea that someone "must be loaded" if they chose to buy several of them or all of them offends me. What if they happen to be a JLA fanatic and thats all they care about? Im sure many people spend $50 or more a month, every month. Are you gonna call that person "loaded"?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2012
    According to DC Comics (via Bleeding Cool), here are some of the covers: 8-|

• Options
    Those are some exciting variants...

Y'know, when they said there would be fifty-two variants, I was expecting fifty-two different covers by fifty-two different artists or artist teams, maybe depicting the team in each of the fifty states (plus territories). Not one picture with interchangeable state flags.

I guess it makes sense they would do this, and it is cheaper than paying for fifty-two pieces of artwork...
  • Options
    That... was a joke, right?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2012
    Planeis said:

I understand nobody is actually being coerced into buying even a single issue. If one does buy all 52 variations - how about giving some bucks to charity on top of it. I mean - such a person must be loaded.

If I ever should develop interest in the (new) Justice League of America I'll buy the TPB or HC.

This is very cynical. I would never buy all 52. Id never buy more than 1. But the idea that someone "must be loaded" if they chose to buy several of them or all of them offends me. What if they happen to be a JLA fanatic and thats all they care about? Im sure many people spend $50 or more a month, every month. Are you gonna call that person "loaded"?
    To be fair, he suggested that if someone bought them all (which would be, what, 52 four dollar comics? All of which have the same story inside), not if someone decides to buy several, or to spend $50 a month on comics in general.

If you are going to get offended or call people cynical, it should at least be by what he actually said, not by the words you are putting in their mouth.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    54th Variant just announced:

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

Planeis said:

To be fair, he suggested that if someone bought them all (which would be, what, 52 four dollar comics? All of which have the same story inside), not if someone decides to buy several, or to spend $50 a month on comics in general.

If you are going to get offended or call people cynical, it should at least be by what he actually said, not by the words you are putting in their mouth.
    I didnt put words in anyones mouth. Like I said, I'd never buy more than one. But suppose someone normally only buys one or two comics a month. They then decide to buy all of these 52 because they are some kind of JLA fanatic or maybe a fanatic for the artist. Who knows. So that month they spend $200 on comics. So what?

How does that make them loaded? Especially if the rest of the time they arent buying hardly any. I used an example, didnt put words in anyones mouth. Sure, maybe that persons one month total would seem high, but maybe the whole rest of they year they get drastically out spent by someone who buys 10 comics a month.

Like I said, maybe they like the art, maybe they are a JLA super fan. A one time expenditure of $200 or $250 does not make them "loaded" despite how frivolous I or you might think the purchase is.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Dan_Cap said:

Remember Malibu did a Ferrett comic with a bullet hole through the entire issue?
    I think it would be better if they just did 1 comic celebrating Justice League that was all 52 covers,maybe with a short sidebar next to each cover explaining the inspiration for it.

It was an issue of Malibu's "The Protectors" that had a "LASER" hole through the entire comic.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I would also love to hear stories about what gimmick covers were discussed but not produced. For example, did Image at the time look into whether they could actually have a cover that would seem wet with blood?

Oh, they had one: RUB THE BLOOD!:

Just click right here!
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Dan_Cap said:

Remember Malibu did a Ferrett comic with a bullet hole through the entire issue?
    I think it would be better if they just did 1 comic celebrating Justice League that was all 52 covers,maybe with a short sidebar next to each cover explaining the inspiration for it.

It was an issue of Malibu's "The Protectors" that had a "LASER" hole through the entire comic.
    That, I never saw, but our shop had a big ol stack of the Ferret comic with the bullet hole. We never did get rid of the damn things.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Dan_Cap said:

That, I never saw, but our shop had a big ol stack of the Ferret comic with the bullet hole. We never did get rid of the damn things.

It was one of the first 4 or so issues of The Protectors. But it seems no one read that series besides me. There was also some indy b/w horror title. Where the creator actually shot every issue with a pistol. So the bullet hole was in a different area on each issue.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Mr_Cosmic said:

53rd Variant:

NOW here's a variant I'd actually buy!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited November 2012
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Dan_Cap said:

It was one of the first 4 or so issues of The Protectors. But it seems no one read that series besides me. There was also some indy b/w horror title. Where the creator actually shot every issue with a pistol. So the bullet hole was in a different area on each issue.
    That was The Protectors #5. I read the first three issues, as I’m almost always interested in Golden Age character revivals, but the writing just wasn’t for me.

The comic that was shot with an actual bullet was Jab #3 from Adhesive Comics. At least four different types of guns were used, including a .22 rifle and a shotgun.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Dan_Cap said:

That was The Protectors #5. I read the first three issues, as I’m almost always interested in Golden Age character revivals, but the writing just wasn’t for me.

The comic that was shot with an actual bullet was Jab #3 from Adhesive Comics. At least four different types of guns were used, including a .22 rifle and a shotgun.
    The Protectors gets a lot better after the first 6 issues. Few years back I got every issue of the run and read them in one sitting. Really well done stuff. Too bad the art was normally pretty bad.

I need to track down a copy of Jab#3.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Dan_Cap said:

The Protectors gets a lot better after the first 6 issues. Few years back I got every issue of the run and read them in one sitting. Really well done stuff. Too bad the art was normally pretty bad.

The artist, Tom Derenick, would later go on to do a fair amount of work for DC and Marvel. The Protectors was his first regular series gig, and he was still pretty raw.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Dan_Cap said:

The artist, Tom Derenick, would later go on to do a fair amount of work for DC and Marvel. The Protectors was his first regular series gig, and he was still pretty raw.
    Yeah I was surprised when I re-read The Protectors and saw Tom was doing the artwork.He has massively improved since then.