Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

More Industry Laundry-Airing...

{Renamed the thread after discovering the second link}

GMo vs AMo

Wow. Fascinating.

A blurb I particularly enjoyed:

"And if I may untangle the logic behind so much of his hectoring: Moore constantly reiterates the idea that all modern comics are copied from stuff he did in the ’80s – and they’re all rubbish!

Is he genuinely saying that his influence has been entirely malignant? If he actually believed that, I’d almost feel sorry for him. I see my own influence all over the place and I’m quite chuffed."

Also:

"These days, if I aim a barb at Moore, and I sometimes do, it’s generally as revenge for having my attention drawn to some latest interview or other. I know there’s a lot more to him than the contemptuous, patronising Scorpionic mask – we’re all just people and we all do the same daft people shit and all that – but it’s the face I’ve been exposed to more often than not, so I’m afraid my view of Alan Moore has a somewhat negative bias that deepens every time he opens his mouth to preach hellfire and damnation on the comics business and its benighted labour force.

Having said that, I learned long ago to separate my antipathy toward the man’s expressed opinions from my enjoyment of his work and I’ve been very complimentary about that work over the decades. Conversely, I can guarantee you will search in vain for a single positive comment about me or my work coming from Alan Moore’s direction – in spite of our obvious shared areas of interest."

Comments

• TrevTrev Posts: 310
    love it. someone with some better credibility than the fan community calling moore on his BS.

not that there is anybody with any amount of credibility that moore would respect on these points.

I'm not sure if the ghost of jack kirby coming back from the grave and talking to moore would get a different result.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited November 2012
    Robert Greenberger vents:

This amused me mightily...

"As he carefully chronicles the rise of the generation that formed Image, his research fails him time and again. For example, Rob Liefeld was drawing the Hawk & Dove miniseries for DC, as editor Mike Carlin tried to carefully art direct the enthusiastic and artistically limited young man. During this time, Bob Harras blew enough smoke up Rob’s ass to lure him to Marvel where any attempt at training and improving him was abandoned. DC even offered at least one project to Todd McFarlane (who got his start there with Infinity Inc., where he cleverly decorated his pages to hide his drawing flaws) to write when it was clear he wanted to stretch as a creator. It was a movie adaptation, a chance to train him how to write before moving on to big projects but Marvel just gave him the keys to the Webslinger and lived to regret it."
  • WetRats said:

"As he carefully chronicles the rise of the generation that formed Image, his research fails him time and again. For example, Rob Liefeld was drawing the Hawk & Dove miniseries for DC, as editor Mike Carlin tried to carefully art direct the enthusiastic and artistically limited young man. During this time, Bob Harras blew enough smoke up Rob’s ass to lure him to Marvel where any attempt at training and improving him was abandoned. DC even offered at least one project to Todd McFarlane (who got his start there with Infinity Inc., where he cleverly decorated his pages to hide his drawing flaws) to write when it was clear he wanted to stretch as a creator. It was a movie adaptation, a chance to train him how to write before moving on to big projects but Marvel just gave him the keys to the Webslinger and lived to regret it."

Frankly, I think Greenberger is spot on. I've always disliked the work of both artists, and have considered them to each had huge problems with their art. I particularly disliked McFarlane's Infinity Inc work for just the reason Greenberger mentions. Now we get an insight as to why neither artist has ever much improved (IMO).
    Trev said:

I'm not sure if the ghost of jack kirby coming back from the grave and talking to moore would get a different result.

"Here's four bits. Get a shave and a haircut, you hobo!"
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    So THAT'S why the original Hawk & Dove series is actually a solid read with (dare I say it?) GOOD artwork?

Seriously, I own both the trade of the original AND the New 52 one they brought Liefeld back for. Okay now that you're done going "Good Lord man...WHY!??!"* it's interesting to hold them side by side and look at how the guy has almost de-volved. You can see a real potential in the first book - give the man credit, he came up with the idea to give the female Dove hair and not cover it with a skullcap - and after reading that blurb I can only wonder what might have been if Carlin had had time to really give Rob direction.

* I love Hawk & Dove. I'll read them pretty much regardless of the creative team on them.
    Totally Off-Topic:
    WetRats said:

Bob Harras blew enough smoke up Rob’s ass

What in the world is the origin of that phrase?
  • WetRats said:

Totally Off-Topic:

WetRats said:

Something horribly literal, I hope.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    BrianBaer said:

WetRats said:

Totally Off-Topic:

WetRats said:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/305333
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318

BrianBaer said:

WetRats said:

Totally Off-Topic:

WetRats said:

OUTSTANDING!
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WetRats said:

"Len Wein has lived off bonuses for Lucius Fox in Batman animated fare and feature films while he’s never gotten so much as a free movie ticket for creating Wolverine."

I know I've mentioned it before, but that just irks the hell out of me.
  • BrianBaer said:

WetRats said:

Totally Off-Topic:

WetRats said:

I think the original phrase is supposed to be 'throwing some sunshine up your skirt'. Writer Larry Gelbart used it a few times on M*A*S*H and in the movie Oh, God.

BrianBaer said:

WetRats said:

Totally Off-Topic:

WetRats said:

Well done, sir!
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Hopefully this will work outside the UK:

Re: Blowing smoke...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJbwGYaDs
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    The King is not dead. Alan Moore ate him

• WetRats said:

Trev said:

"Here's four bits. Get a shave and a haircut, you hobo!"
    Found this thread while looking for the Kirby thread....

Great line, but...

Jack was someone who loved anyone who was creative or trying new things. He based "The Hairies" in his Jimmy Olsen comics on a bunch of motorcycle guys who drove around at all hours near his house. The story I heard was that he went to where they were to complain about the noise and spent a couple hours talking with them about who they were, why they did what they did and such and put it into Jimmy Olsen.

Mark Evanier has told the story about how when people came up to him and said they were so happy to be working on his older characters, he'd be polite and wish them well, but he'd also tell them to make their own characters to tell their own stories. Moore has said he spoke to Kirby a couple of times and they both ad very similar ideas on where stories came from, as well as how much respect Moore had for his work.

If I had a time machine, I'd probably go listen to THOSE conversations. Then, if I still had fuel, I'd do something less important like kill Hitler or buy Apple stock when it was first issued.

• PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Torchsong said:

* I love Hawk & Dove. I'll read them pretty much regardless of the creative team on them.

Me too. The ongoing that followed the Kesel/Liefeld series remains one of my all time favourites.
  • PaulPaul Posts: 169

BrianBaer said:

WetRats said:

Totally Off-Topic:

WetRats said:

The reference to "everything sounds better with up your ass added to it" reminds me of the Fawlty Towers episode when the American comes to stay at the hotel.

"It's all bottoms with you lot, isn't it?"