Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Superman's Red Trunks and the Man of Steel Costume

Interesting opinion piece on i09.com about the loss of the "underwear on the outside" for Superman and other heroes, but especially Superman. Also has a picture of Cavill in the new uniform I've never seen before. Good lord is it awful. Maybe it'll look better on film, but wow, its ugly. Way way too busy.

http://io9.com/5966540/?post=54993536

He basically posits that 1) its become so much a part of the uniform that its silly to get rid of it and 2) that the trunks serve to break up the super skin tight uniform compared to his legs and chest so that his "area" isn't super skin tight as well. Also it looks better with the red trunks.

Comments

• man. That hairdo looks downright... alien?
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    While I prefer the classic Superman look I do think Routh's hip huggers were worse looking than the new costume.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    (note to self: don't think of Superman's penis)

• I agree with everything the columnist at i09 is saying, and have said as much here in other related threads.
  • Could I ask how old you guys are? I've found there tends to be an age related division on how people feel about the trunks. I'm 30 and most of the people I know around my age and younger feel the trunks should be done away with. They just look weird in live action. A few of them don't like the trunks in any medium.

The people I know who are over 40 have no problem with the trunks and want them to stay as part of the costume.

I was wondering if you fall into that over 40 group.

For me, the trunks work on the page and in animation. When you move them to live action, it just looks weird and silly. The Superman costume from the Reeve movies looks laughable to me. It just doesn't make sense for an adult to make a costume and put underwear on the outside.

In the new movie, the absence of the trunks is because his suit isn't of Earth origin. He's wearing the same suit we see Jor-El wearing in the set pics, minus the armor and robes.

The suit wasn't designed by Clark or Martha, so it wouldn't have "underwear" because underwear is something worn on Earth, not Krypton.

I like the new suit and look forward to seeing it onscreen.
  • tazmaniak said:

Could I ask how old you guys are? I've found there tends to be an age related division on how people feel about the trunks. I'm 30 and most of the people I know around my age and younger feel the trunks should be done away with. They just look weird in live action. A few of them don't like the trunks in any medium.

The people I know who are over 40 have no problem with the trunks and want them to stay as part of the costume.

For me, the trunks work on the page and in animation. When you move them to live action, it just looks weird and silly. The Superman costume from the Reeve movies looks laughable to me. It just doesn't make sense for an adult to make a costume and put underwear on the outside.

In the new movie, the absence of the trunks is because his suit isn't of Earth origin. He's wearing the same suit we see Jor-El wearing in the set pics, minus the armor and robes.

The suit wasn't designed by Clark or Martha, so it wouldn't have "underwear" because underwear is something worn on Earth, not Krypton.

First off, it isn't underwear. They're trunks. Like swim trunks. I never viewed them as anything other.

Secondly, I never thought they looked funny, in print or on the screen. The character has been around so long, that they just looked natural to me. I never understood why people ever had a problem with them, or thought that they would be 'laughable'.

Thirdly, with or without the trunks, the new costume looks hideous. And I'm not all that crazy about Jor-El's outfit either.

Finally -- how the heck would you even know whether or not Kryptonians wear underwear!?
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    tazmaniak said:

So hes wearing Jor-El's underwear?

If this unitard is what they wear under their clothes on Krypton, then wouldnt that make it kryptonian underwear?

Who knows what aliens wear or not. Could be anything right? could even be something that looks like swim trunks over tights.

No trunks looks wierd. Period. Not just because of our familiarity with the character after 80 years, but design / aesthetic wise. There is a reason the designers of this new suit were compelled to add all those silly lines and pieces to the waist area. To break it up and give the illusion of what the trunks and belt did. A fake belt buckle thing glued to the middle of his waist looks more rediculous to me than "underwear on the outside".
  • tazmaniak said:

Could I ask how old you guys are? I've found there tends to be an age related division on how people feel about the trunks. I'm 30 and most of the people I know around my age and younger feel the trunks should be done away with. They just look weird in live action. A few of them don't like the trunks in any medium.

Finally -- how the heck would you even know whether or not Kryptonians wear underwear!?
    Because the director and the costume designer said so.
    batlaw said:

tazmaniak said:

So hes wearing Jor-El's underwear?

If this unitard is what they wear under their clothes on Krypton, then wouldnt that make it kryptonian underwear?
    No, he's not wearing the "unitard thing" under his clothes, they are his clothes. The rest is armor he's wearing over his clothes.

As for not trunks looking weird, it's pretty much debatable. Some think they do (like me) and some think they don't (like you). Weird or not, they seem to be falling out of "style". Look at Marvel Comics. Over the last decade or so, they've redesigned nearly every hero's costume to get rid of them. Outside of Magneto, you'd be hard-pressed to name any who still wear them. I don't read as much DC, but they may also be in the same boat.

Regarding live-action, I honestly believe you will never see an adult hero wearing trunks as part of his costume ever again. For me, they're outdated. The people who make decisions about these things seem to feel so, as well.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited December 2012
    tazmaniak said:

Because the director and the costume designer said so.

Well, that really is stupid. Now I dislike the outfits even more.

Dammit, now I've got this image in my head of an entire planet of Kryptonians all going commando!
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I'm 30. The trunks have never looked weird. I also don't like the colors. Again, it might look different on film... we'll have to see. But right now they are all wrong. The colors are bright blue, bright red, and a a pretty bright yellow. Slight variation in shades are fine, but the new one appears to be grey/very dark blue, dark red, and gold. Way too busy, and ugly... The other costumes look even worse. Just ugly.

Anyway, judging by past Zach Snyder movies I think its safe to say he is a very visual person. So I'm hoping when its all on film it will be better.

As for this thought that we'll never see trunks on film again, I feel very very confident that we will.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited December 2012
    The trunks do not look weird or outdated to me (I am 35). But I do not believe I am the target audience for this movie or the new 52 comic. They are looking for a new audience who is not devoted to the old superman movies or comics. To get a new audience (in their minds) you have to present something different than what came before. It has to look modern (whatever that means). The best to be hoped for is that somewhere in the process there is someone in a position of power who is a fan that will fight for some semblance of tradition. The corporate suits just assume that old fans like me will just come along for the ride.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    I am not sure if this has been debunked as a theory or not, but I have heard it suggested that the choice of such a different costume, including a different color scheme, is partly a legal firewall. I am not as knowledgeable as many around here regarding the years and years of litigation over Superman ( paging @JoeSergi ) but I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to not have "Superman" in the title of the movie or the color scheme and costume as it appeared on the cover of Action Comics (vol 1) #1 came more out of an abundance of caution rather than a desire to get away from red, blue, and trunks.
    Oh yeah theres that too.
    Wasnt this movie rather rushed all the way around because of the lawsuit as well?
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Nope, I'm 33. ;)
  • Im 27 and while I always joked around with people about the trunks, they never actually bothered me. They were just part of his costume and that was that. If anything is says more about the commanding presence the character had that they didnt seem out of place unless you really looked hard. Thats something nu52 Superman has lost, you just dont get the feeling of respect that everyone in the room has for him anymore.
    David_D said:

I am not sure if this has been debunked as a theory or not, but I have heard it suggested that the choice of such a different costume, including a different color scheme, is partly a legal firewall. I am not as knowledgeable as many around here regarding the years and years of litigation over Superman ( paging @JoeSergi ) but I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to not have "Superman" in the title of the movie or the color scheme and costume as it appeared on the cover of Action Comics (vol 1) #1 came more out of an abundance of caution rather than a desire to get away from red, blue, and trunks.

I think this has been debunked. It doesnt even make sense. Its a Superman movie, he will be called Superman. All the original characters are there amd his likemess is the same. The story is the same. Siegel and shusters name is still all over the comic amd will be in the credits of the movie. Changing the colors and having a slightly different costume changes nothing. Besides, hasnt Warner won all the lawsuits?
    edited December 2012
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

I think this has been debunked. It doesnt even make sense. Its a Superman movie, he will be called Superman. All the original characters are there amd his likemess is the same. The story is the same. Siegel and shusters name is still all over the comic amd will be in the credits of the movie. Changing the colors and having a slightly different costume changes nothing. Besides, hasnt Warner won all the lawsuits?
    Joe or others could say better than me, but one of the biggest decisions in WB's favor happened just this past October, long after this movie was filmed, so the costume decisions and the title decision were made long before that big win for WB two months ago. And prior to that big win, there were definitely some setbacks for WB along the way. Some have even theorized that it was the decision that came down this October that may have finally cleared the way for a Justice League movie.

There was a prior decision that, I believe, said that S&S could lay claim to 50% of the character that appeared on the cover of Action Comics #1. It was something like that, which could actually explain why, at a certain point in the process, the went forward with a likeness that is actually not the same. There was a point (maybe there still is?) where there could be a legal distinction made between the 1938 character on the cover of Action Comics and the modern one. Again, I would defer to Joe, or Cory, or others who know the history of this better than I do, but the idea that next year's Man of Steel was made with an abundance of legal caution, including avoiding any argument that the character in the movie shared a likeness with that 1938 character, may make more legal sense than you think.
    edited December 2012

Well, as usual, we're just going to have to disagree. I do know about the lawsuit, been reading about it for years. But I'm not going to argue with you about it

edited December 2012
    @Pleneis some people thought the 2008 ruling would allow the estate to reclaim copyright of the 1938 Suoerman in 2013, potentially creating a situation where the 1938 character and the modern one could exist at the same time, and be licensed at the same time. Do you remember that from your reading of the case? That was what I was referencing.

Not arguing. Explaining what I am talking about.
    Yes. That appears to be at least partly why they made Man of Steel, to assert their copyright. Much like Sony put out Amazing Spider-Man to reassert their copyright as well. Seems to me they would want to assert as much of it as possible, the classic suit and everything. The rights the family claims to own are for Action #1, not just the cover, but the entire contents. Meaning Clark/Superman, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, the Daily Planet.. all of that. That's why I'm saying it wouldn't make sense to change the color strictly for some kind of precaution.

I think the new suit is just the artists being "artistic". There's an interview with one of the costume designers from SDCC saying they wanted to make it "alien" and didn't even consider the New 52 costume either.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/comic-con-take-a-closer-look-at-the-man-of-steel-costume

The pictures on IGN look much more like the normal colors. So, hopefully they look brighter in the film. Cause some of the pictures make it look soooo dark, if there's any night time scenes it might look almost black.

I like Snyder in a lot of ways, so I have hope..... I'm just skeptical.
  • Planeis said:

Yes. That appears to be at least partly why they made Man of Steel, to assert their copyright. Much like Sony put out Amazing Spider-Man to reassert their copyright as well.

Well, no. Those aren't quite the same things at all.

DC and WB may be trying to assert their copyright to Superman, but SONY can't do that with Spider-Man because Marvel owns the copyright to Spider-Man. SONY is trying to assert their license to the character, to make more movies and/or merchandise as spelled out in whatever contracts they signed with Marvel. Quite a different thing altogether.
    Sure, I wasn't trying to say the situations were exactly the same. They are both asserting rights. My point is this: Sony had to make the movie or they would lose the rights. WB will not be losing the rights. I've read the worst that could happen is that both the WB and the heirs could both have the rights to make Superman items. So Warner Bros, in that eventuality, is putting out a movie to say "This is the Definitive Superman, the one you've all been watching/reading for 80 years". Any version of Superman put out by the heirs or their chosen representative would then become the "other superman".

For instance, a writer who helped Ian Fleming won certain rights to use the character James Bond because of how the movie Thunderball came to be about. He used those rights to make "Never Say Never Again" starring the original James Bond. So what did EON Productions do? They scheduled their own Bond movie to come out the same year "Octopussy". Octopussy made more money and the rival Bond series never came about.

If the Superman rights have to be shared between WB and the heirs, which I think is highly unlikely because the WB has won everything in the past, their chances of getting a rival franchise started would surely be limited if the WB just finished putting out a billion dollar movie with their version.
    Planeis said:

Yes. That appears to be at least partly why they made Man of Steel, to assert their copyright. Much like Sony put out Amazing Spider-Man to reassert their copyright as well. Seems to me they would want to assert as much of it as possible, the classic suit and everything. The rights the family claims to own are for Action #1, not just the cover, but the entire contents. Meaning Clark/Superman, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, the Daily Planet.. all of that. That's why I'm saying it wouldn't make sense to change the color strictly for some kind of precaution.

I think the new suit is just the artists being "artistic". There's an interview with one of the costume designers from SDCC saying they wanted to make it "alien" and didn't even consider the New 52 costume either.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/comic-con-take-a-closer-look-at-the-man-of-steel-costume

The pictures on IGN look much more like the normal colors. So, hopefully they look brighter in the film. Cause some of the pictures make it look soooo dark, if there's any night time scenes it might look almost black.

I like Snyder in a lot of ways, so I have hope..... I'm just skeptical.

You're right, it is not just the cover, it was the entire contents of Action Comics #1 that, at one point in the legal history, was seen as distinct from other work S&S did on the character, as they created the content of Action #1 themselves and sold it to National, which was seen as legally different from the work they created later under a work-for-hire agreement. Although a lot of the elements that we now see as essential to Superman are actually not in Action #1-- flying, The Daily Planet (it was the Daily Star), and some other elements. I take your point that he would still be called Superman, and Lois would be called Lois. I don't know if there is a distinction between using the name or the likeness, I would have to defer to someone like Joe on that one.

It very well may be that the Man of Steel makers went with this costume (and the New 52 designers went with the current Superman armor) just because they liked that design and thought it would look better in a film. But if any legal strategy entered into it, they were certainly never going to talk about it when promoting the movie. They were always going to make it sound like all the decisions made were exactly what they wanted to do, artistically.
  • Um, for clarification's sake, Sony was "asserting their rights" to Spider-Man, they were fulfilling their contract. The contract stated that they have to release a Spider-Man movie every so many years in order to maintain the rights. Marvel had a LOT of those deals where if you don't do anything with a character after a length of time, the movie rights go back to Marvel. That's why they made a Ghost Rider sequel when the first one did fair to middling.

You DON'T want to be the executive who allowed rights to revert to Marvel in case Marvel makes a huge blockbuster using the character.

I do know that Daredevil and Punisher have reverted back to Marvel due to them not making movies during the prescribed time frame.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    i'd just like to chime in a bit here. there is a nice picture that was photoshopped of that iconic Chris Reeves shot standing in front of the american flag that has been modified to be the new 52 uniform. i like it a lot because it a) still looks like closth material and b) could plausably be an alien military dress type uniform. (i never have any success with photos so somebody else can find it and post it) the issue i have with the new film version is mostly that the trunks are not there to "break up" the union suit. consequestly the eye seems immediatly directed to Supes package. for some reason the trunks mitigated that a bit. now this may be just the particular still photos that i've come across and may not be an issue in the movie but i have seen some photoshopped variations of the new suit in which the color is a little brighter and the sort of mock belt buckle has been added to again provide some visual contrast in the suit that i like better than the original washed out grey/blue of the uniform. the new trainer is encouraging though...
    thank you! i knew somebody would hook me up. as far as an interpretation of the new 52 costume goes, i like this. the extranous lines are still there but i can believe they are part of a uniform.
    Im sorry but that is just hideous. Might not look bad on Tron though.
    well, the whole 52 redesign idea is hideous but if we are stuck with that version of the uniform i like this better than anything else i've seen.