Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Things to go away in 2013

OK, Gawker has a snarky article on things that need to go away in 2013 here.

So, I know this could turn ugly, but let's play nice and list some things we want to see go away in 2013 that have to do with comics:

1) Hating a comic before it comes out. "Superior Spider-Man is going to suck, I just know it and therefor I won't buy it!" Hey, not everything sounds like a good idea. Then again,. a kids movie about a farm boy who blows up a space station and learns to be a zen mystic warrior sounded pretty damn stupid in 1977. Let's wait until the comic actually comes out before we declare it to be the Worst Thing Ever.

2) Breaking the Internet in half. You know what broke the internet in half in the past? NOTHING.

3) Parody Comics. Watchmench. Ecch-Men. And so on and so on. I know there aren't many now, but the few that do come out are unfunny and make comics shops cry because no one cares. Please. Stop.

4) This Changes Everything! No. No it doesn't.

5) Podcasts getting into "feuds". I'm kind of serious about this one. I am going to get nostalgic for a minute: In the early days of comics podcasting, it really felt like a real community. People were helping each other, building communities and cross promoting. Somehow, it feels more like little fiefdoms, and people looking for reasons not to get along. Let's all decide as a community that we all love us some funny books, and while we may agree on what we like, we can all agree on a few things, and one of them is that we're all brother and sisters in comics, and if we aren't going to build each other up, we can at least not all tear each other down. It ain't morning radio, we aren't in competition and if you don't like what someone is doing, wish them well and MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE. We used to have a saying on Barbelith: Only Good Things. I'm gonna try to live that way.

6) Treating creators like shite. Getting fired via e-mail. Crapping all over their work at a convention right in front of them. Calling someone a hack. Look, you may not like their work, but everyone in comics has a fan. Everyone. Even Rob Liefeld. You can explain why you don't like someone's work, but "Don Heck is the worst artist ever, he shouldn't ever get work again" is a BS statement. Saying that creators don't matter and the characters are all anyone cares about. Changing scripts after they've been approved and turned in without letting the creators know you are completely changing the story. Did the 90's teach us nothing?

7) Using the word "Swag". OK, this has nothing to do with comics, but when people my age use it, they have no concept of what it means, so unless you are 18 or less QUIT IT, JUST QUIT IT!

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited December 2012
    As a 34-year-old, this thread idea is swag (an abbreviation of a word that was created by William Shakespeare).

But seriously, folks, can we be done with relaunches? Stop treating continuity like its a bad thing.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

7) Using the word "Swag". OK, this has nothing to do with comics, but when people my age use it, they have no concept of what it means, so unless you are 18 or less QUIT IT, JUST QUIT IT!

1838, Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist, Chapter 19:
    “It′s all arranged about bringing off the swag, is it?” asked the Jew. Sikes nodded.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Cory and I have been going back and forth on this one via facebook (I'm the "old person who didn't know what Swag meant! :) ) (In my defense I still use "gay" to mean happy, sometimes). So I'll preface my additions with what I told him:

Awhile back I saw Henry Rollins and he hit me with something that really changed my outlook on a lot of things we fanboys like to do: Gripe about shit. Hank basically said: "Just because you don't like something doesn't inherently mean it's awful or not worthy of consideration by everyone else. It has more to do with you, your attitudes, and your prejudices. In other words: Music today doesn't suck...YOU suck. Movies today don't suck...YOU suck. Fashions today don't suck...YOU suck."

I tend to agree with Hank on this one. I've taken to trying to stop saying things "suck" or that I "hate" them. Instead I've been saying "It's not for me."
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Torchsong said:

Cory and I have been going back and forth on this one via facebook (I'm the "old person who didn't know what Swag meant! :) ) (In my defense I still use "gay" to mean happy, sometimes). So I'll preface my additions with what I told him:

Oh; don't worry Al, I'm sure at some point Rarity will realize that she's the pony for you.
    ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, but you have to admit that here, I tried to make it All Good Things.

And when you say "Hank" I picture the guy from King of the Hill, not Henry Rollins.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So having said that - here are some things that are "Not For Me"

1) Variant Covers - Every now and then I see one that catches my eye and I'm like "Damn fine piece of art". Then I remember the book will likely be traded and I can get said cover art in a more sturdy volume for pretty much the cost of the variant cover book. One or two is acceptable. Ten? Come on, man! 2) Old Fans Hating on New Fans - Yes, I chuckle when I hear someone tell me at a con that they've loved Dr. Who since the beginning - and they mean Christopher Eccleston! - but I don't think any less of them...I'm just happy Dr. Who has another fan out there keeping interest in the show alive.

3) Fearing Change - The New 52 doesn't suck. I think many of us want it to, but I've found more to embrace about it than I have to shun. For the first time in my life I'm willingly putting out coin to read Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and the Legion of Super Heroes. I'm back to absolutely LOVING Batman again. And my favorite book features two DC characters I have never really enjoyed - Etrigan and Vandal Savage. I've only received my first few Marvel Now issues, but I've already got Hulk and FF on my regular must read stack, and high hopes for Thunderbolts.

4) As of 01/01/13 - Doing Prints of Licensed Characters - I will still and always sketch anything anyone wants of any character at a convention, or by commission, and I've got big plans for a Ms. Marvel/Power Girl painting project over the holiday break, but one of my New Year's Resolutions is to start owning up to the idea that me and Flint have created some really fun original characters, and it's time to give them their due.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

How about racial bias in comic films; like who cares that Jamie Foxx is going to be Electro, what should matter is that a really good actor is playing the character.

This is just funny because, of course, it is yet another brother with electrical powers. Black Lightning, Black Vulcan, Static, Lightning, Storm (sort of)

• Options

Torchsong said:

Oh; don't worry Al, I'm sure at some point Rarity will realize that she's the pony for you.
    ;)
    YOU MOCK MY LOVE?!?! NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!!

Seriously, how do you not wanna hit that? :)
  • Options
    And, sadly, when I did my GiS for Rarity, you don't want to know what came up...there's some sick, twisted people out there...
  • Options
    Here's another'n:

5) Promoting the Holy Living Hell out of the new Event/Cover/Storyline so far in Advance that when it Actually Hits it has the Impact of a Wet Sponge hitting a Cement Wall - I realize this is the Internet Age and Pandora's Box has been opened and can't be re-shut, but I do miss the days when we *didn't* know what was coming around the corner. I pine for the times when things weren't as accessible as they are now. We've kind of lost a bit of our wonder, and companies have to work twice as hard to keep it...problem is, the companies are usually the worst offenders when it comes to spoiling the cool stuff.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Here's another'n:

5) Promoting the Holy Living Hell out of the new Event/Cover/Storyline so far in Advance that when it Actually Hits it has the Impact of a Wet Sponge hitting a Cement Wall -

How about making sure that it comes out on time as well.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I'm very much on board with getting rid of or extremely limiting the use of the word "swag". When its used to much in a conversation it starts to sound like some unintelligible grunt, like an inhuman word.

Also very much in favor of not insulting artists. I recently wrote a review of a comic on my blog for a comic that I really did not care for the art. But I tried to maintain a reasonable tone, be respectful. Because its pretty clear the artist doesn't "suck", I just didn't like or understand some of the choices he made.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    One thing that needs to go away : overpriced digital comics

It has much improved - but there is still room for abatement
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    1. Double shipping on monthly titles
    2. Extremely advanced solicitations (l believe the DC archives Teen titans vol two was solicited 7 or 8 months in advance of release)
    3. People (retailers) complaining how the business is changing for the worse. Digital is here. Get used to it. Publishers are in the business of making money for themselves not LCS.
    4. Collectors mentaility. If you do not like a book or a title is no longer enjoyable, stop buying it/ don't buy it.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I'm very much on board with getting rid of or extremely limiting the use of the word "swag". When its used to much in a conversation it starts to sound like some unintelligible grunt, like an inhuman word.

Also very much in favor of not insulting artists. I recently wrote a review of a comic on my blog for a comic that I really did not care for the art. But I tried to maintain a reasonable tone, be respectful. Because its pretty clear the artist doesn't "suck", I just didn't like or understand some of the choices he made.

I think of something Roger Ebert once wrote about how he reviews movies, he said that most of the time he tries not to blame actors since if you are barely scraping by, and someone is willing to pay you $10,000 to be in Surf Nazis a Go-Go, then you're probably going to take the role. The people who actually conceive the idea for a film like that (directors, producers) are fair game for ridicule.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Torchsong said:

And, sadly, when I did my GiS for Rarity, you don't want to know what came up...there's some sick, twisted people out there...

On a related note, no more horrifyingly pr0n fan art! Google Image Search, deviantart, Tumblr... there are a whole lotta people out there making me wanna gouge my eyes out when I'm doing a simple search for Kitty Pryde or something. Don't even get me started on what I saw when I looked up Gadget Hackwrench from Rescue Rangers!
    :-O

But Mary Marvel's the worst... seems like there are shocking number of sickos out there who like to draw her gettin' it from her own brother. :-&
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

;)
    YOU MOCK MY LOVE?!?! NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!!

Seriously, how do you not wanna hit that? :)
    Rarity Gun ya'll....

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Can we add altering the comics to mirror the movie, that's based on the comics to the list? I understand costumes might look a lot better in comics then in live action, but that doesn't mean the comics should alter itself to match the movie costuming/look.

Also, can we separate the two as different universes? Nick Fury is Sam Jackson in the movies and Ultimates, so unless there was a merger of Ultimates and 616, keep it THAT way. And Robert Downey, Jr doesn't write Robert Downey, Jr he IS Robert Downey, Jr. SO, the comics should stop TRYING to write Robert Downey, Jr/Tony Stark.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited December 2012
    Podcasts getting into "feuds". I'm kind of serious about this one. I am going to get nostalgic for a minute: In the early days of comics podcasting, it really felt like a real community. People were helping each other, building communities and cross promoting. Somehow, it feels more like little fiefdoms, and people looking for reasons not to get along. Let's all decide as a community that we all love us some funny books, and while we may agree on what we like, we can all agree on a few things, and one of them is that we're all brother and sisters in comics, and if we aren't going to build each other up, we can at least not all tear each other down. It ain't morning radio, we aren't in competition and if you don't like what someone is doing, wish them well and MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE. We used to have a saying on Barbelith: Only Good Things. I'm gonna try to live that way.
    There are (comic) podcasts fueding? Really?

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited December 2012
    And can we get rid of "Just sayin'"?

Mostly when I see it, the person saying it comes off as a prick, regardless if they are right or wrong.

• Options

And can we get rid of "Just sayin'"?

Mostly when I see it, the person saying it comes off as a prick, regardless if they are right or wrong.

This one is gospel. Sets me off to no end. "Really? What are you just saying? That you've made a point and you can't really back it up? Is that what you're just saying? That you wanted to get in a dig but maintain some sort of friendship or civility? Is that what you're just saying? Instead of just saying...why don't you just say it?"

• Options
    How about we dump the idea that "old" fans' opinions can be completely disregarded simply because they are "old" fans?

I'm sick and tired of my opinions being dismissed out of hand because of the idea of, "well, you were never going to like it anyway because you liked the way it used to be and you are a dinosaur and will soon die and not matter anymore."

And, perhaps we can get rid of the idea that because someone doesn't like one aspect of a project automatically means they are "dumping" on an entire project?

I, for one, would love to freely express an opinion on a costume change without someone jumping down my throat for condemning an entire project. I am a complicated individual and have the ability to like and to dislike different aspects of a single project. I know, I know... it is a wonder and mystery, this skill set I have, but, I believe, not an uncommon skill set.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

On a related note, no more horrifyingly pr0n fan art! Google Image Search, deviantart, Tumblr... there are a whole lotta people out there making me wanna gouge my eyes out when I'm doing a simple search for Kitty Pryde or something. Don't even get me started on what I saw when I looked up Gadget Hackwrench from Rescue Rangers!
    :-O

But Mary Marvel's the worst... seems like there are shocking number of sickos out there who like to draw her gettin' it from her own brother. :-&
    The Google Safe Search does exist for a reason.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Torchsong said:

2) Old Fans Hating on New Fans - Yes, I chuckle when I hear someone tell me at a con that they've loved Dr. Who since the beginning - and they mean Christopher Eccleston! - but I don't think any less of them...I'm just happy Dr. Who has another fan out there keeping interest in the show alive.

This is a big one for me. We're ALL fans of something, so let's just enjoy what we enjoy and agree to have that in common, regardless of whether its two different programs/properties/genres/whatever or the new vs old thing (you'd think everyone would've been sick of that since the seeming endless Trek TOS vs TNG pissing contests).

Recently a friend of mine asked me if I thought he should be allowed to make fun of a co-worker because she said she liked Doctor Who but hadn't ever seen a Tom Baker story. I've been a Whovian for longer than him, so that granted me decision-making rights, he figured. I just kinda stared at him for a few seconds and told him "NO! Of course not!" May have even yelled it, actually. He likes Who, she likes Who, close enough, common ground achieved, the Dork Forest is a safe and welcoming space, etc.

Geeks is geeks, we all have something we enthuse too much about, so let's let that bring us together rather than drive an already fractured society apart. Not saying we have to gather round in a circle singing Kumbaya (unless it involves making up new lyrics about the 6th Doctor's coat or something), but let's just all enjoy what we enjoy and let other people do the same!
  • Options

How about we dump the idea that "old" fans' opinions can be completely disregarded simply because they are "old" fans?

I'm sick and tired of my opinions being dismissed out of hand because of the idea of, "well, you were never going to like it anyway because you liked the way it used to be and you are a dinosaur and will soon die and not matter anymore."

And, perhaps we can get rid of the idea that because someone doesn't like one aspect of a project automatically means they are "dumping" on an entire project?

I, for one, would love to freely express an opinion on a costume change without someone jumping down my throat for condemning an entire project. I am a complicated individual and have the ability to like and to dislike different aspects of a single project. I know, I know... it is a wonder and mystery, this skill set I have, but, I believe, not an uncommon skill set.

Well that depends; do you try to approach things from all angles and not judge a change just because it's different, or are you going to be all "things should always stay the same and never change even if most people do want something different".
  • Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE new fans! They haven't heard all of my old stories yet!

Add to that the fact that it shows the "common wisdom" is wrong and comics CAN bring in new readers. Yep, there's some stuff I love being wrong about.
  • Options
    Calling the DC books the New 52. It's been over a year so it's not new and it's getting repititavie.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Can we stop NOT having a previously page? If you want me to keep up with more comics then you're going to have to give me just a little nudge about what happened at least a month ago? Especially with titles like Batman, Detective, and Batman and Robin. They're all about Batman to some point, maybe a little reminder so the stories don't get muddled? Doesn't seem like too much to ask.