Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics I can read with kids

Hey, I just got into comics recently and dont have too many yet. Right now I am pretty much focusing on DC.
My little 7 year old brother is looking at the pictures in Aquaman right now (he doesn't speak english and I just buy english comics). When I look at the books and trades I have, I would say that except for maybe a little JLA stuff there is nothing I could read with him. It's either too violent (Stuff like sinestro corps war/Blackest night/Batman stuff) or too complicated/too deep into continuty (52).
So my question is, what books (I think I'd prefer trades right now) should I buy, so I can definetly enjoy them and my brother has some fun with it too?

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    If you're into DC I would go with Tiny Titans. The trades are affordable and are just about prefect for kids of all ages.
  • Options
    The Peanuts comic from Boom! is VERY good. I'd also recommend the Muppets comic and Snarked.

If you want classic comics, the Carl Barks Disney comics and the Little Lulu comics reprinted by Dark Horse are fun for kids AND adults.
  • Options
    I second Tiny Titans. My seven-year-old daughter loves that book. She also really likes the Spongebob Squarepants comic and the Marvel Adventures comics.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited December 2012
    My son is seven and he loves all of the ones below:

• Options
    I love Owly, and if language is an issue, you can't beat it. It's definitely for a younger audience, but I think anyone can enjoy it. Plus, there are some digital freebies to give it a try on Andy Runton's website.

andyrunton.com/owly/
  • Options
    PurEDrOnEAgEPurEDrOnEAgE Posts: 11
    edited December 2012
    OK, thanks for all your answers. Tiny titans definetly looks fun.
    But since I am a student I don't have a giant budget and I am still looking for books for myselfs, that I can read with him too. So more like not very violent, not very complicated "adult" comics.
    For example Fantastic Four (or how I imagine it to be since I never really read an issue): An adult book, that isn't too violent, thats fun and easy to understand and has characters with rather simple powers and personalities.
  • Options
    In that case, do you have any interest in older comics? What I did when my son was younger was buy him ’70s back issues of Flash. Flash was his favorite character, but the then-current stories were just too dark and violent, but he loved the Flash comics from the ’70s, and they generally cost less than new comics on the stands.

If you want to stick with new books, though, try these:
    Mud Man: It has an early Spider-Man type of feel and is a lot of fun.
    The Perhapanauts: It's somewhere between B.P.R.D. and X-Files, but with a humorous slant.
    The Stuff of Legend: It might get a little violent and dark in places, but no more than something like The Dark Crystal. A boy gets kidnapped into a dark world on the other side of his closet, and his toys have to go and rescue him. A very good story.
    Mouse Guard: Some fantasy violence, but usually not very graphic. My son likes the book a lot, and so do I.
  • Options
    I'll heartily second the recommendation for Mouse Guard. One of my favorites, despite it's slowness getting the new issues out.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I 3rd the nomination for MouseGuard plus you can't go wrong w/ Bone.

Matthew
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Marvel's Wizard of Oz books are wonderful and my 8 year old daughter loves them.

I also second Snarked! I bought this for her as a Christmas present this year.

Bone is really good too.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited December 2012
    Gah! Double post!! Look away!! Look away!!
  • Options
    OK I will look into ouseGard and Bone too.
    But don't forget I am the older brother I can be pretty irresponsible. And I am the Idiot how has to buy the books, reading the books with them is just a "byproduct".
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I started to read Marvel Essentials with my daughter when she was four years old. Marvel two-in-one, Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four are good places to start. She is seven now and has mowed through probably close to 20 Essentials on her own (re-reading many of them multiple times). Her current favourites are Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel. Every time I see her with her head tucked into a volume of Marvel Essentials, I'm so proud it almost brings me to tears.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    My youngest son loves the Essentials and Showcases. For the second year in a row his x-mas presents are all comic trades.