Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Things to go away in 2013

2»

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Krescan said:

Can we stop NOT having a previously page? If you want me to keep up with more comics then you're going to have to give me just a little nudge about what happened at least a month ago? Especially with titles like Batman, Detective, and Batman and Robin. They're all about Batman to some point, maybe a little reminder so the stories don't get muddled? Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Funny thing that. I used to HATE HATE HATE the previously page at the beginning of comics when they first started showing up. Now... Even though it is hard to admit, I kind of like them.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited December 2012
    I was going to say "Double Shipping!!!" but someone beat me to it.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Funny thing that. I used to HATE HATE HATE the previously page at the beginning of comics when they first started showing up. Now... Even though it is hard to admit, I kind of like them.

I have read a LOT of comics, and to be honest, I would be lost without them. That's probably one of the reasons I am drifting away from DC's books. I read a few pages, feel a bit lost, don't know if I read the previous issue and go over to a book that brings me up to speed.

Just a little paragraph that says what happened before it usually enough for me. Kind of like the "Previously on Lost" thing they do on TV series.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Hex said:

Krescan said:

Can we stop NOT having a previously page? If you want me to keep up with more comics then you're going to have to give me just a little nudge about what happened at least a month ago? Especially with titles like Batman, Detective, and Batman and Robin. They're all about Batman to some point, maybe a little reminder so the stories don't get muddled? Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I liked those fold ins that had a recap of the various plots, plus a who's who of the characters.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited December 2012
    1. Double Shipping unless it is a DAMN FREAKING good book w/ a creative team that step up to the challenge in getting the book done on time.

2. Firing creators by email (Seriously!) Have some heart mr. or ms. editor & tell the person face to face in your office.

3. If you are a big shot creator Morrison, Bendis, Johns, Slott, Hickman don't tell us your book is coming out. We already know about you let the B & C list creators get some attention on the internet.

4. Mega event X is going to be the best event EVER!!! (echo chamber) Unless it is Crisis (the first one in the 80s) or Infinity Gauntlet the answer is a big fat no.

5. Come up w/ NEW ideas. Quit milking the Watchmen teat unless Alan Moore is attached to the idea. Marvel Now! & DC's new 52 are bold steps from the past so try something different & have it make sense at the end. PS Don't have Bendis or Johns daisy chain event to event forever & ever. Have a beginning, middle & a end. The End. If you want a sequel wait for it & have good ideas & creative teams to carry them out.

Matthew
  • Options

How about we dump the idea that "old" fans' opinions can be completely disregarded simply because they are "old" fans?

I'm sick and tired of my opinions being dismissed out of hand because of the idea of, "well, you were never going to like it anyway because you liked the way it used to be and you are a dinosaur and will soon die and not matter anymore."

And, perhaps we can get rid of the idea that because someone doesn't like one aspect of a project automatically means they are "dumping" on an entire project?

I, for one, would love to freely express an opinion on a costume change without someone jumping down my throat for condemning an entire project. I am a complicated individual and have the ability to like and to dislike different aspects of a single project. I know, I know... it is a wonder and mystery, this skill set I have, but, I believe, not an uncommon skill set.

Well that depends; do you try to approach things from all angles and not judge a change just because it's different, or are you going to be all "things should always stay the same and never change even if most people do want something different".
    Kinda missing the point of my little diatribe there.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    "52"... anything. It wasnt that cool, clever or interesting to begin with.
    Relaunches / Renumbering new #1s.
    Typos. Has anyone else noticed the insane increase in typos in recent years?
    Any Bat-story involving a previously unknown secret anyhting from the past.
    Variant covers.
    Any Bat-story regarding or referencing Gotham City as some sort of "living thing".
    As previously mentioned... hardcore corporate synergy.
    DCs ham fisted liberal pandering.
    The new 52 universe (or 99.5% of it).
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I... I thought the original 52 concept and execution was cool. But everything that's come after? I'm with you.

I'm with you, from both Marvel and DC.
    Occasionally. It's annoying.
    Also with you.
    Variant covers.
    I usually ignore them.
    Any Bat-story regarding or referencing Gotham City as some sort of "living thing".
    It ain't Krakoa, after all.
    I knew those communications classes would come in handy.

What do you mean?
    I half-agree with you. Maybe more than half. I don't know.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    batlaw said:

"DCs ham fisted liberal pandering.

=))
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

How about we dump the idea that "old" fans' opinions can be completely disregarded simply because they are "old" fans?

I'm sick and tired of my opinions being dismissed out of hand because of the idea of, "well, you were never going to like it anyway because you liked the way it used to be and you are a dinosaur and will soon die and not matter anymore."

And, perhaps we can get rid of the idea that because someone doesn't like one aspect of a project automatically means they are "dumping" on an entire project?

I, for one, would love to freely express an opinion on a costume change without someone jumping down my throat for condemning an entire project. I am a complicated individual and have the ability to like and to dislike different aspects of a single project. I know, I know... it is a wonder and mystery, this skill set I have, but, I believe, not an uncommon skill set.

Well that depends; do you try to approach things from all angles and not judge a change just because it's different, or are you going to be all "things should always stay the same and never change even if most people do want something different".
    But, why is it a bad thing if people want something different?
  • Options

But, why is it a bad thing if people want something different?
    Never said it was. Re-read my original post. My complaint is that people assume that if an older fan doesn't like something it is just because they would not like change in any form. It completely negates the possibility that the older fan might not like something for actual reasons.

It is a cop-out, easy way to dismiss another's opinion. It is a disservice, and it is disrespectful.

Change is not always positive, and change for change sake is dumb.

An extreme example:

If the editorial department of DC decided that Superman was now a living pile of feces, it would certainly be a change. If I, as an older fan, stated that I didn't think it was a good change, someone could possibly (in this extreme example) say, "You just don't want Superman to change at all," and render my opinion void merely on the basis that I liked the original. Well, no, simply because it changed isn't the issue... I have actual issues with this particular change, not a blanket anti-change stance.

A less extreme, actual real life sort of example:

I am a Star Trek Fan, Trekkie, Trekker... whatever you wish to call it. I was not overly thrilled with the 2009 J.J. Abrams Star Trek Film. I had actual complaints, issues with the story, etc. Nevertheless, I had a friend ask me, "What did you think of the Star Trek movie?" I began, "Well, I didn't really like it..." and before I got another word out, my friend said, "Yeah, I knew you wouldn't because you liked the original." That is when I realized - because I was a fan of the original, I was not "allowed" to have an opinion about the new version.

The idea of assuming that I dislike something merely because it changed is as ludicrous as saying that people that like something like it ONLY because it changed. It eliminates reasoning.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    batlaw said:

Yes, though not just in comics. Copyediting is rapidly becoming a lost art.
  • Options

batlaw said:

Yes. BNecuase we kow haeve spell chek.
  • Options
    SWAG= stuff we all get, right? Like free stuff?
  • Options
    - Not telling me it's a mini-series until the third issue.
    - Mid-story editorial directives that don't respect quality storytelling
    - Fear of high issue numbers
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Apparently not anymore. Now "swag" means "swagger". In my day it was "boss", "bitchin'", "rad", "awesome" or if you were a complete tool "tubular".

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Apparently not anymore. Now "swag" means "swagger". In my day it was "boss", "bitchin'", "rad", "awesome" or if you were a complete tool "tubular".

I gave up on contemporary slang after PHAT became popular. I'll stick with SHINY
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Fun thread. I was going to say all the doomsday/end of the world fanatics. I guess we'll find out tonight? :)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I hope the over inflated egos in this world go away. Also all the backstabbing and petty bullshit.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    If we're going off the reservation here from comics, I'd like to add victimless victims. I have to deal with a lot of people who claim to be victims about everything...all the time. The problem is they're rarely truly victims.

M
  • Options
    Aw, man... am I actually agreeing with Matt?

*sigh*

Yep, I hit that little agree icon.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Matt said:

If we're going off the reservation here from comics, I'd like to add victimless victims. I have to deal with a lot of people who claim to be victims about everything...all the time. The problem is they're rarely truly victims.

M

So in other words, you're a victim of victimlessness ;))
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

M

So in other words, you're a victim of victimlessness ;))
    Nice! I believe I'm a victim to incidents I facilitated to some extent. I don't really see myself as a victim to victimless.

I actually feel sorry for people who can't remove the blinders & stop comparing the shades of grass with the opposite side of the fence.

M
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

And can we get rid of "Just sayin'"?

Mostly when I see it, the person saying it comes off as a prick, regardless if they are right or wrong.

This one is gospel. Sets me off to no end. "Really? What are you just saying? That you've made a point and you can't really back it up? Is that what you're just saying? That you wanted to get in a dig but maintain some sort of friendship or civility? Is that what you're just saying? Instead of just saying...why don't you just say it?"

Whatever!
    lol
  • Options

batlaw said:

That's because fewer companies are paying for copyediting, or they’re hiring inexperienced or overworked (or both) copyeditors. Or they're farming it out to cheaper copyediting services in India.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    batlaw said:

Variant covers.

boy, you got hammered with dislikes for this post. That HAS to be for the "ham fisted liberal pandering" line. I liked it. ;)
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    random73 said:

batlaw said:

Variant covers.

boy, you got hammered with dislikes for this post. That HAS to be for the "ham fisted liberal pandering" line. I liked it. ;)
    I imagine. I think Ill still be able to sleep tonight somehow though LOL. Im more curious about "off topic" flag? huh
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    batlaw said:

random73 said:

batlaw said:

Variant covers.

I imagine. I think Ill still be able to sleep tonight somehow though LOL. Im more curious about "off topic" flag? huh
    Ok seriously. Who are the people labeling everything off topic, even though its pretty clearly on topic. I've noticed this on other threads too. Is it supposed to be funny? Because "off topic" should not be a different way of saying "disagree". That needs to end in 2013....