Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Gail Simone Fired From Batgirl via Email

2»

Comments

• Options
    No matter the circumstances, it's a dick move. IN wrestling, they STILL talk about how Eric Bishoff would fire people via Fed Ex, and this is worse than that. If you are replacing a writer IN THE MIDDLE OF A STORY, you should at least give them a call. Having been in a position where I have had to fire people, I always wanted to do it in such a way that was clean and easy like an e-mail or a certified letter, but it's the coward's way out.

More and more evidence is mounting that Harris is running DC the way he did Marvel: Creators don't matter. Editorial writes the stories and the people who work on the books are interchangeable.

And we all saw how well that worked out for us as the readers.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    has there been any mention of who is going to take over for her?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited December 2012
    Ray Fawkes, for two issues, past that I haven't heard.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    who the hell is Ray Fawkes?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

Some Guy.

• Options
    random73 said:

He was a poster on Barbelith (an Invisibles community website thing) who went on to do a lot of indy books. This is his first super-hero book at one of the majors. Hell of a nice guy, too.
  • Options
    Oh. Well, good for him. I hope this is a big break for him then.
  • Options
    Gail Simone just tweeted:
    Here's a thing. Gail Simone is the new Batgirl writer. :)
  • Options
    Okay, on a seperate but related note. Batgirl #15.

*spoiler*

Barbara doesn't kill the joker.

she is in a murderous rage facing down the man who shot her in the spine and caused years of painful rehabilitation and he has tortured her mother and threatened everyone she loves and she beats him to the ground has a pistol to his head and leaves to go walk into a clear trap...what the everloving fuck!?

I find this ridiculous storytelling macguffin harder to believe than the idead that a person with a gunshot wound to the spine would battle back to olympic level acrobatics. this should have played out like that scene in the Crow, "Caw! Caw! Bang! Fuck! I'm Dead!". there is no power on this or any other Earth that would have prevented the Joker from taking a bullit in the head. none. she just decides to play along with the game...walk away and to chase down some ridiculous red herring...That is knows is a red herring! Sloppy writing. I've bought every issue to this point but I am done with this title. the strain on my ability to suspend disbelief is too much.
  • Options
    This just in: Gail Simone has been rehired as Batgirl's writer, primarily because of the fan backlash.

Yes, Virginia... the companies do listen when the fans speak up.

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42806
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

This just in: Gail Simone has been rehired as Batgirl's writer, primarily because of the fan backlash.

I think she should refuse to take the job back just to give DC grief.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I guess that editor clicked "unsend".
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    well I hope Ray Fawkes didn't get his hopes up, but I'm glad this is not his next gig
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited December 2012
    random73 said:

Ray Fawkes wrote the AWESOME ogn "One Soul" of a year or two ago for Oni Press. One of the best graphic novels/comics I've read in the past 10 years. Well worth checking out (and absolutely nothing like anything you'd expect for Batgirl).

Also, he's the new (co?)-writer of JL Dark, w/Jeff Lemire.

e
    L nny

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I think if I were publicly fired like that, I wouldn't be so eager to come back. I was thinking they would offer her a bigger title, not just stick her back on Batgirl. Who knows, though, maybe something like that did go down behind the scenes, and we'll get another announcement down the road.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    chrisw said:

I think if I were publicly fired like that, I wouldn't be so eager to come back. I was thinking they would offer her a bigger title, not just stick her back on Batgirl. Who knows, though, maybe something like that did go down behind the scenes, and we'll get another announcement down the road.

Not a fan of what went down initially, but didn't she make it public by announcing it on twitter?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

chrisw said:

Not a fan of what went down initially, but didn't she make it public by announcing it on twitter?
    I'm not sure, but either way, when issues were solicited with a new writer and she hadn't wrapped up her own run, it would have been pretty obvious.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited December 2012
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

I'm not sure, but either way, when issues were solicited with a new writer and she hadn't wrapped up her own run, it would have been pretty obvious.

True enough. Jerks.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Damn, I was hoping they would put her in charge of all the Super books... because I really don't like the writing over there right now.