Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics Buyer's Guide to end publication

newsarama.com/comics/comics-buyers-guide-closing.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsaramacomics+%28Newsarama.com+comics%29

And it only just became available on Kindle. I just subscribed to it last week.

I realize it's the way things are going, but I'm still going to miss being able to read a monthly magazine about comics, at least one that's available beyond comic shops. Even as awful as Wizard was by the end, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there are still times when I miss having it available.

Comments

• Options
    Dang! I subscribed to CBG (Comic Buyer's Guide) for over 20 years. I have had several letters published in there and been quoted in a couple articles. I'll miss the heck out of this thing!

http://captaincomics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/a-dark-day-for-comics-cbg-closes
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited January 2013
    Suddenly the options for CGS' Best Publication About Comics nominations just got a little smaller...checkmate, Previews!

M.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

In my opinion the content had been declining the past few years. Also it was better as a weekly newspaper back in the day.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited January 2013
    Matt said:

Suddenly the options for CGS' Best Publication About Comics nominations just got a little smaller...checkmate, Previews!

M.

That's okay, TwoMorrows is adding a new magazine to the line-up in a couple of months, so it'll all even out.

Frankly, I haven’t read CBG in well over 15 years. I’m truly surprised it held on as long as it did.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Matt said:

M.

That's okay, TwoMorrows is adding a new magazine to the line-up in a couple of months, so it'll all even out.

Frankly, I haven’t read CBG in well over 15 years. I’m truly surprised it held on as long as it did.
    Honestly, I am as well, and if I hadn't been actively looking for something to subscribe to on my Kindle, I'd have thought it ended a few years ago, around the time it seemed to vanish from the shelves of the bookstores around here.

It was a fun read a few years ago when I was still buying it, though.

That's the second magazine I've subscribed to through my Kindle only to see it canceled the next month. I guess eReaders aren't boosting sales as much or fast enough for a lot of these titles.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    While its a bummer, CBG had a great and long run for a periodical that focused on a "hobby" whose market is dwindling. It had certainly grown since its inception as a adzine, printed on newsprint no less. Thank you to Don and Maggie for years of service and entertainment.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    chrisw said:

newsarama.com/comics/comics-buyers-guide-closing.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsaramacomics+%28Newsarama.com+comics%29

And it only just became available on Kindle. I just subscribed to it last week.

I realize it's the way things are going, but I'm still going to miss being able to read a monthly magazine about comics, at least one that's available beyond comic shops. Even as awful as Wizard was by the end, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there are still times when I miss having it available.

I miss having good Wizard around too.
  • Options
    I really am saddened to hear this, but I suppose it's a symptom of the changing times where print is concerned. Up to a couple of years ago, I'd been getting it regularly since the early 80's, back when it was still a weekly newspaper -- right after the Thompsons first took it over and revamped it, as I recall. I didn't care quite as much for it when it shifted to a monthly magazine, and eventually drifted away. But I loved the weekly paper with its reviews and columns by Evanier, David, Ingersoll and Isabella -- and the Thompsons, of course.

(Coincidentally, a friend just gave me a handful of early Thompson Newfangles fanzines from the late 60's and early 70's. They still have that faint mimeograph smell to them.)
  • Options
    Yes, prior to the internet CBG was my weekly fix on the comic book world. Thanks for years of info and entertainment from Maggie and Don and all their contributers. Sad to see it go, but inevitable I suppose.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm amazed they managed to keep it going this long.
  • Options
    Print is dead!

now lets get back to talking about comic books

...oh wait...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited January 2013

Print is dead!

that's what they said when Comics NOW! died

or

NOT!

<:-P
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    It was rare to find a store out this way that would carry it. I was surprised to find out that it was still going in the first place.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    I subscribed to it for 20 years (and still have all the issues) and dropped it a year or so after they went to the magazine format. It just wasn't the same as when I got the weekly newspaper and the content they had interested me less and less. Props to them for lasting as long as they did in the age of the internet.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881