Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman Hush. What follows?

Ok so I am fairly new to batman comics and decided to start reading what others deemed "essential" and among those was Batman Hush, I immensely enjoyed it and was wondering what came directly after in story, is there a comic that picks right up were Hush left off (batman and catwoman ect..) Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    First, I wonder who's saying Hush is a Batman essentials story. There's at LEAST 10 storylines I would've suggested before even getting close to that storyline.

Second, what are you looking for? If more of Hush, there was an ongoing arch in Gotham Knights starting with Hush Returns.

I'd say Batman & Catwoman would probably be JLA's Crisis of Conscience. It's connected with the reveals of Identity Crisis, but there's a focus on this relationship.

For a further read of a twist reveal when Batman was fighting his rogues in the cemetery, I'd recommend Under the Hood.

M
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd be far from recommending Hush on any level, let alone an essential Batman read.
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    From what I remember, the Batman/Catwoman relationship was severely downplayed after Hush, which was a shame, because it was my favorite part of that story.

I remember there being a "Heart of Hush" story arc at some point later, I don't remember the title or issues though.

In that pre-New52 continuity, I remember the Red Hood story arc being very good. It ran for a year or so in Batman, from what I remember it rolled out of Infinite Crisis, before Grant Morrison got his hands on Batman.
  • Options
    The Gotham Knight Hush storyline was really rough and really not that good
  • Options
    BadDeacon said:

From what I remember, the Batman/Catwoman relationship was severely downplayed after Hush, which was a shame, because it was my favorite part of that story.

I remember there being a "Heart of Hush" story arc at some point later, I don't remember the title or issues though.

In that pre-New52 continuity, I remember the Red Hood story arc being very good. It ran for a year or so in Batman, from what I remember it rolled out of Infinite Crisis, before Grant Morrison got his hands on Batman.

I think the only real work done with Batman & Catwoman was Batman questioning if Selina was really a villain "altered."

The Red Hood story arch lead up to Inifinite Crisis (remember RH stole a shipment of kryptonite.) It kicked ass.

"Heart of Hush" was in Detective Comics following Ininite Crisis & once Morrison began working on Batman. The story was written by Dini. I stopped reading Batman during Morrison's reign, so I only know the premise.

The aforementioned "Hush Returns" picks up the character right after Hush. The Hush arch was like the last 24 issues of Gotham Knights.

M
  • Options
    edited February 2013

The Gotham Knight Hush storyline was really rough and really not that good

Yeah. I didn't say it was great, but its the next chapter for the character. The story arch was an attempt to ride the coattails of Hush. It's a classic case of killing a new character by over-exposure. Bane suffered the same fate.

I think the beginning was to add doubt to who Hush really was. I do recall the arch had him piss off many of Batman's rogues & end in a cliffhanger.

M
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Yeah, I'd be far from recommending Hush on any level, let alone an essential Batman read.

It's hard for me to get an idea if we're in the minority on seeing Hush as an essential read. In my original post I have gotten 2 dislikes already, but since I have facts AND opinions in the post I am not sure what it people think...since there's no commenting feedback.

People might dislike that Hush Returns picks up where Hush left off. They might dislike that Under the Hood deals with the twist reveal. They might dislike that Batman questions if Catwoman is really a villain and this plays out in JLA: Crisis of Conscience.

The remainder is my opinion, which would be DISAGREE instead of DISLIKE.

M
  • Options
    UnknownFanboyUnknownFanboy Posts: 88
    edited February 2013
    I think the Gotham Knights Hush story involved Prometheus and then the Joker came back after a hiatus and then the series came to a screeching halt and there was the whole Hush changing himself to look like Bruce which tied into BATMAN R.I.P.
  • Options
    and there was the whole Hush changing himself to look like Bruce which tied into BATMAN R.I.P.
  • Options

I think the Gotham Knights Hush story involved Prometheus and then the Joker came back after a hiatus and then the series came to a screeching halt and there was the whole Hush changing himself to look like Bruce which tied into BATMAN R.I.P.

I remember thinking Prometheus was completely miswritten. He went from a guy who nearly defeated the JLA to a lackey.

I'm curious when Hush altered his appearance. I recall that in Gotham Knights (just his work with clones.)

M
  • Options
    I am fairly sure he has the face change soon after Bruce disappears in R.I.P. becasue there was the whole thing where they kept him in Wayne tower and then had him to public appearances as Bruce Wayne gaurded by Outsiders
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I am amazed Hush gets so much praise and Dark Knight Strikes Again doesn't. One is a great story,and the other is Hush.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

I am amazed Hush gets so much praise and Dark Knight Strikes Again doesn't. One is a great story,and the other is Hush.

What's the great story you're referencing?! LOL

M

BTW, I disagree with your opinion. I thought the art of Strikes Back looked rushed & the plot seemed too big. Miller looks like he tried to cram too many characters into the story.
  • Options
    I thought the original Hush was just a gigantic waste of paper. On the other hand, the Paul Dini stories about Hush that appeared during and after the RIP stories were pretty darn good; he actually made me care about the character for the first time. Those I would recommend.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm curious... How did you guys feel about the Joker stuff in the Hush Returns story? It pretty much took his Killing Joke origin to be the real one, and had him acting... melancholy.

If I had to guess, it's blocked out of many a memory.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

M

BTW, I disagree with your opinion. I thought the art of Strikes Back looked rushed & the plot seemed too big. Miller looks like he tried to cram too many characters into the story.

I know ,most fans hated DKSA. But I love the hell out of it. Went into it expecting to hate it. Partially cause I didn't get to read it till 2008. And had hear all the fan complaints about it. But I found it to be Miller's third best Batman story. Behind Year one and DKR. I like the artwork but think it's the coloring that makes it look kind of off. I would love to see a b/w version of this.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

M

I know ,most fans hated DKSA. But I love the hell out of it. Went into it expecting to hate it. Partially cause I didn't get to read it till 2008. And had hear all the fan complaints about it. But I found it to be Miller's third best Batman story. Behind Year one and DKR. I like the artwork but think it's the coloring that makes it look kind of off. I would love to see a b/w version of this.
    I'm with everybody else. The Dark Knight Returns was a brilliant book. The Dark Knight Strikes Again was Frank Miller getting a paycheck for filling up an awful lot of awful looking pages. At the time, I'd been appalled at having been ripped off for so much money for so little return.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

M

I'm the opposite; I read it as it was coming out (even with massive delays) with a high expectation. I'd have even settled for the sense of satisfaction (verses being blown away) and didn't even feel that. I think the artwork really hurt my enjoyment to at eadt be satisfied.

M
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I always wonder if the hate for Hush (at least the original storyline) is the sort of backlash that comes from being something super popular when it first appears (I call this The Hootie Effect, as in "We LOVE Hootie & the Blowfish" eventually becomes "Hootie & the Blowfish is worse than cancer!"). Because that storyline was huge at the time. And the way DC keeps repackaging it every few years, they're still obviously making money off of it, so someone's buying it.

I've never been the biggest fan of it - it's kind of a weak, one-suspect-mystery, and I've never been much of a Jim Lee fan - but I've never really hated it, either. It's kind of cool to tour the Gotham Rogues Gallery of the early '00s the way it does, I like that it sorta re-established the Bruce/Selina relationship that was in place when I first started reading Batman in the very early 80s, and as a Riddler fan, I think he comes out of it as pretty bad ass (before being put right back in his place by Batman, of course). Not stellar, by any means, but decent enough.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It was around the time I started getting back into comics and a friend of mine was buying Hush monthly. I remember thinking it was great and the twists made it a fun read for me. Since then I've come to see it more for what it really is but I can still understand why people like it.
  • Options

I always wonder if the hate for Hush (at least the original storyline) is the sort of backlash that comes from being something super popular when it first appears (I call this The Hootie Effect, as in "We LOVE Hootie & the Blowfish" eventually becomes "Hootie & the Blowfish is worse than cancer!"). Because that storyline was huge at the time. And the way DC keeps repackaging it every few years, they're still obviously making money off of it, so someone's buying it.

I've never been the biggest fan of it - it's kind of a weak, one-suspect-mystery, and I've never been much of a Jim Lee fan - but I've never really hated it, either. It's kind of cool to tour the Gotham Rogues Gallery of the early '00s the way it does, I like that it sorta re-established the Bruce/Selina relationship that was in place when I first started reading Batman in the very early 80s, and as a Riddler fan, I think he comes out of it as pretty bad ass (before being put right back in his place by Batman, of course). Not stellar, by any means, but decent enough.

No, I hated the story for a number of reasons: the story was predictable and padded and spent most of its run as a 'featured character or villain of the month' kind of story. Hush was a very uninteresting villain; I really didn't care a damn thing about him during the entire story and it wouldn't be until Paul Dini wrote his Hush stories years later. And I've never really liked Jim Lee's work all that much. He's a decent artist who renders nicely and does a lot of very detailed work, but his figures are often very posy and his work comes off rather cold, without any real feeling to it. Basically, as I put it earlier, I consider the entire story to be a 'high concept' waste of paper.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    EdEnigma said:

Ok so I am fairly new to batman comics and decided to start reading what others deemed "essential" and among those was Batman Hush, I immensely enjoyed it and was wondering what came directly after in story, is there a comic that picks right up were Hush left off (batman and catwoman ect..) Any help would be much appreciated.

I liked the story a lot. Thought it was fun. I know others hate it. There was a sort of part 2 in Gotham Knights... but I can't endorse that at all. Even as someone who liked the Hush story.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited February 2013
    Hush got me back into Batman after I had lapsed for a few years. Azzarello then promptly lost me.

It wasn't perfect, but it was fine for me back then.

I can see why you guys would suggest other stories, but I can also see why others would suggest this particular one.

I' gave this one to my girlfriend, who had no experience reading Batman comics. She loved it, and wasn't bothered by anything that bothered me.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203

I thought the original Hush was just a gigantic waste of paper. On the other hand, the Paul Dini stories about Hush that appeared during and after the RIP stories were pretty darn good; he actually made me care about the character for the first time. Those I would recommend.

I have only read the Paul Dini Hust stories, and I really enjoyed them. So from those stories I consider Hush to be a pretty interesting character.
  • Options
    spid said:

I have only read the Paul Dini Hust stories, and I really enjoyed them. So from those stories I consider Hush to be a pretty interesting character.
    Those were good stories, and they made Hush interesting.