Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Robotech

"Robotech" To Get Big-Budget Feature Adaptation

(darkhorizons.com) Commercials director Nic Mathieu has been tapped to direct the big-budget adaptation of the 1980s anime franchise "Robotech" for Warner Bros. Pictures.

A sprawling sci-fi epic, "Robotech" takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions.

The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

The original "Robotech" was a re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

The project has been in development since 2007 with numerous writers attached, this is the first announcement of a potential director.

Akiva Goldsman, Tobey Maguire, Matthew Plouffe, Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell are producing.

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    So excited for this. I fully expect some anime fans so start talking about how the original series are much better than Robotech. I have seen the originals and Robotech. And prefer Robotech. But last time I said this I was told my "Fandom was shallow".
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm all about this. Robotech was my soap opera growing up. I don't care if Macross is the "true, superior, version" of it...because guess what? It isn't. Robotech comprises three different series...not just Macross...and I don't hear anyone screeching about Cavalry Southern Cross or Mosspaeda when they whine (which is all it is) about it.

Anyone wants to boycott this because it's based of Macek's vision and not the original series can bite me. I'll buy an extra ticket to cover the one you won't.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Can't wait to see this, would love to see some Southern Cross on the the big screen too.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm all about this. Robotech was my soap opera growing up. I don't care if Macross is the "true, superior, version" of it...because guess what? It isn't. Robotech comprises three different series...not just Macross...and I don't hear anyone screeching about Cavalry Southern Cross or Mosspaeda when they whine (which is all it is) about it.

Anyone wants to boycott this because it's based of Macek's vision and not the original series can bite me. I'll buy an extra ticket to cover the one you won't.

Exactly,but a former poster here who thought they were some anime expert,claimed that even though I had sought out the Japanese version of Robotech,Speed Racer and Voltron. And with Robotech prefered the American version "Well your fandom is shallow." Even though I am sure I was watching anime before this person was born. Also got criticized cause I owned the Epic comics version of Akira. It is the one person I am glad hasn't showed up from the old boards.
  • Options
    Always remember - "fan" comes from "fanatic". Like what you like, and if someone feels the need to judge you for it, or for your level of appreciation of it, that's their hangup, not yours.

Lord, it's not like I have time to educate everyone who thinks Eccleston was the first Doctor. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Always remember - "fan" comes from "fanatic". Like what you like, and if someone feels the need to judge you for it, or for your level of appreciation of it, that's their hangup, not yours.

Lord, it's not like I have time to educate everyone who thinks Eccleston was the first Doctor. :)

True,It just rubbed me the wrong way at the time.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

This is exactly how I feel.

And, funny you should call it a soap opera - because, even as a kid, that is what I called it when describing it - a soap opera for guys.

A couple of years ago, I sought out the Robotech DVD's - yes, the completely Americanized-for-the-palate-of-the-unwashed-masses version - and I still love it. Sorry to upset any purists out there.

Wait, no I'm not.

Ignore that last part.
  • Options
    Robotech came on at 4 p.m. after school. I never missed an episode. The next morning my fellow geeks would congregate in the library to hash out the previous day's episode. It was strange...it wasn't the same vibe like Star Wars where you were essentially sharing your fandom with the rest of the world. Robotech was...special. Not everyone knew about it. Not everyone liked it. But the people who did like it *loved* it.

More than that, it was a gateway drug to anime for many people who didn't have the benefit of Speed Racer or Battle of the Planets like I did. Oh wait, I'm sorry...Mach-Go-Go and Gatchaman. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Torchsong said:

Robotech came on at 4 p.m. after school. I never missed an episode. The next morning my fellow geeks would congregate in the library to hash out the previous day's episode. It was strange...it wasn't the same vibe like Star Wars where you were essentially sharing your fandom with the rest of the world. Robotech was...special. Not everyone knew about it. Not everyone liked it. But the people who did like it *loved* it.

More than that, it was a gateway drug to anime for many people who didn't have the benefit of Speed Racer or Battle of the Planets like I did. Oh wait, I'm sorry...Mach-Go-Go and Gatchaman. :)

See all I ever saw originally of Robotech was the first season. It aired at 3pm right after school. Then it stopped airing. Didn't see the other 2 seasons till Sci Fi channel started airing it every morning.

• Options
    Most people focus on Macross because it's the largest chunk of the series. I actually liked the mechs from the Masters series (Southern Cross) out of any of them (I like tanks!), and Scott Bernard remains my favorite character (from Next Gen) out of the whole series.

Yes, that means I liked Shadow Chronicles as well. :)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    This is reminding me that I need to get back into watching Robotech on Netflix... I'm not even finished Macross yet, much less Next Gen or Masters! I've enjoyed what I've seen so far (Minmei's singing aside), and for most of this, I'm seeing it for the first time. It never aired in our part of Maine when I was a kid, so aside from a few, random episodes I'd catch on The Sci-Fi Channel years later, I hadn't seen much of it before.

And I remember the whole "Well, you really should be watching Macross, not Robotech" chatter on the previous forum, too. I promptly ignored it. Like what you like the way you like it, says I. Gatchaman, for instance, is definitely the better show than Battle of the Planets, but BotP has a goofy charm than can't be denied (I even like 7-Zark-7 and those weird ping pong scenes!).
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2013
    I think, apropos to the "shallow fan" conversation and other talk about who is or isn't a "real" fan and all that:

I think if you ever wonder whether you are doing your fandom "right", then you are doing it wrong. (Or, perhaps, you just have too much time on your hands, and should find more things to enjoy with all that extra time). Any time spent considering or defending the depth of your fandom seems time better spent on things you enjoy.
  • Options

(I even like 7-Zark-7 and those weird ping pong scenes!).

Oh you go to hell! You go to hell and you DIE! :)

I keed, I keed. BotP was what got me on board as well.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    i have never seen an episode of Robotech in my life (it was around when i was a kid it just never really blipped on my radar) but i love the mutually supportive aspect of this threat and the "hey, man you like what you like". vibe.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I think if you ever wonder whether you are doing your fandom "right", then you are doing it wrong. (Or, perhaps, you just have too much time on your hands, and should find more things to enjoy with all that extra time). Any time spent considering or defending the depth of your fandom seems time better spent on things you enjoy.

Agreed, and it's even worse when people go to great lengths to define the depths of other people's fandom!
  • Options
    By the way, this thread has inspired me to go back in and continue with the series on Netflix where I had left off. I have one episode of the Macross Saga to go, and then I am (hopefully) free of the most loathsome character in 80s animation, Lin Minmei. What an awful, needy character!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

By the way, this thread has inspired me to go back in and continue with the series on Netflix where I had left off. I have one episode of the Macross Saga to go, and then I am (hopefully) free of the most loathsome character in 80s animation, Lin Minmei. What an awful, needy character!

Doing the same once I'm caught up on Bleach. Oh, the fun it will be subjecting the family to Minmei.
  • Options
    Tough out the Minmei. Next Generation has Yellow Dancer/Lancer. I still love listening to "Lonely Soldier Boy".
  • Options
    I dated a girl in college that, long after we broke up, long after I actually graduated college, I realized was exactly like Lin Minmei.

And, then, in my heart, I apologized to Rick Hunter, for all the bad thoughts I ever had toward him and his blind/stupid love. I feel you, bro. I feel you.
  • Options
    I learned two things from Robotech:

1) TV shows that tell one long continuous story are awesome.

2) When missiles fly, they rock back and forth and fly around in circles as the rocket forward.