Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hello I'm new.

Hello I'm a newbie when it comes to comics. I just ordered 2 walking dead books and really looking forward to reading them. I've always loved super heroes growing up. Anyways I don't really know how to get into comic books. I have 2 local stores but I'd rather order online. Please give me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2013
    Welcome!

Any paticular heroes or story genres that you gravitate to more than others?

Getting into comics is as easy as visiting one of those stores and spend some time browsing through the titles and discovering what appeals to you.

For superheroes both DC's New 52 and Marvel Now are good places to start. The New 52 has been here for nearly two years now but is easy to catch up in trades. Mavel is only a few months old.

Explore the smaller publishers, lots of good stuff there.
  • Options
    Welcome!

If you try the New 52 and don't like it, maybe give Invincible a try... excellent super hero action and subplots... really great stuff. Plus, most of its' continuity is internal, making it possible to avoid buying 30 titles and having money left over for food.

Also, outside of super heroes, the Planet of the Apes stuff at Boom is really great.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Welcome. I've only been reading comics for a couple if years now. But I found team books to be a good place to start. You get a good selection is characters in one place, helping you decide who to explore in greater depth. DC - I would go with the Justice League books - Justice League, Justice League of America (which is only one issue in) and Justice League Dark. You'll get to know a good selection of 'A' listers, 'B' listers and the darker, more horror driven characters.

Marvel, you've got the big two teams of Avengers and X Men. Again you get a good range of characters there.

Also to reiterate what Greg said. It also depends what you're drawn with regards to genre, as there are a lot of really good indie books out there too.

With regards to good places online. It depends where you live. I'm in the UK and use Dispossable Heroes for my online orders and occasionally Forbidden Planet. For the US I'm sure all my American friends will back me up on DCBS.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Also go back and listen to CSG episode 616. This is all about good books for new readers to get into.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I would say go to your local store first and browse a little to see what you may be interested in. Buy a couple of things and just experiment. Then when you have a good idea what you like, go to DCBS and get stuff online.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    2 words:
    public. library.

Most libraries have a decent collection of trades. Try out a bunch of stuff (for free) and then hop onto whatever works best for you. I regularly get Fables, Invincible, and Walking Dead from my local library.
  • Options
    GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    Sorry I didn't get back to you guys. Thanks for the information! I'm a great X-Men fan. I've liked them for awhile. Anyways I really don't know how to go to a comic book store, my Mom may think I'm weird. She knows I ordered a Walking Dead comic.
  • Options
    @Hex,

Libraries have comic books?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    GiannaD11 said:

@Hex,

Any decent library worth their salt will have a good bunch of trades (paperbacks collecting six - eight issues into one volume). Ask your librarian... bet you will be surprised at how many comics they have.
  • Options
    @Hex,

Ok, that'll work. Thanks :)
  • Options
    GiannaD11 said:

Ok, that'll work. Thanks :)

Your welcome. Your library probably has a ton of X-Men too!
  • Options
    I'm very thankful for all this information you guys gave me. I'm looking forward to getting more comics in the future.
  • Options
    I'd also like to suggest The Unwritten, published by DC/Vertigo. If you are much of a novel reader, especially Harry Potter, but a lot of older more classic works of fiction, like Moby Dick, then you'll probably like that.

And I second the idea checking out your local library. They might even have an online catalog where you can request items from a larger database than just your cities library, but maybe most of all the libraries in your county.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    GiannaD11 said:

@Hex,

Comics are a HUGE growth area in library collections in the past 10 years or so. Wander around your local library sometime and see what they have, or look through the catalog and start typing in characters you know or even just keywords like "graphic novels" or "comic books." You may be surprised by what you can find, especially if the library is affiliated with a big local system (all of the public libraries here in Rhode Island, for instance, are part of one big consortium and work off a shared catalog, so we can generally get anything from any other public library in the state).
  • Options
    @LuckyMustard,

Thank you. I really like Harry Potter so that may be something I'll look in to. I'm going to check out my local library but the thing is that I live in a small town. Anyways thank you again I appreciate your recommendations.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Ditto on the public Library thing. And Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Welcome to Fandom!

I agree with the advice to go to the library, and when you do, ask at the information booth! The people there LOVE books and reading, and there is sure to be someone there who can get you started on their collection, as well as order books from other libraries for you to read. And read ANYTHING there that looks interesting. You like Walking Dead and X-Men, but you might find some other books or genres that you never heard of or knew about.

Then, as you start to see what creators you are interested in, you can find more works by THOSE creators.

Also, we're in a golden age of comics podcasts, so listen to ones like CGS's "Off the Rack" episodes and see what books you are interested in, hit up comic shops on Free Comic Book Day and dive in since there are TONS of free comics to introduce you to new series and companies.

And don't be scared to post on here, ask questions and dive in. It's always good to get new perspectives!
  • Options
    @SolitaireRose,

Thanks. I'm going to find a local comic book shop. I'm going to use a library to see what kind of comics/graphic novels I'm interested in. Oh, and when is Free Comic Book Day? I'm pretty sure it's in March because I've stumbled across the website before.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2013
    Free comic book day is the first Saturday in May, one if not both of your local shops should be participating, if not shame on them.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2013
    GiannaD11 said:

I have 2 local stores but I'd rather order online.

I can understand this. It's nice to just have what you want show up at your door. I have nothing against libraries either but if your looking to own your comics here are a few websites:

DCBService.com - You can pre-order your comics two months in advance.

Instocktrades.com - Same company, but here you can order just about every trade/collection on the shelves at any book/comic store.

The site that shall not be..err..never mind(inside joke)... fearlessreadersonline.com - If you are looking for older comics but don't want to buy them in trade format this site has a great selection.

eBay! - In fact we have a thread on these forums where members sell their comics directly to each other or list what they'll be putting on eBay: Selling Thread.

Lastly there is the digital code swap meet thread.

• Options
    @Mr_Cosmic,

I've seen Amazon and they have high prices for comic books. I though they're 3 dollars not 15.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I can't speak for Amazon but comics that are older, and in high demand, can command a higher price. If you want back issues I'd stick with fearlessreadersonline.com. If you want new comics I'd go with DCBService.com.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I highly recommend DCBS & In Stock Trades; I have used both services for over 6 years.

Matthew
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    GiannaD11 said:

@Hex,

If they don't have comics usually they can get them through inter library loan. I use ILL all the time to try out various comics. My local library is tiny and the only library for 3 counties. But it has 3 comic trades.

Blankets-Which I hated and find very very over rated
    Box Office Poison-Which is pretty good
    Goodbye Chunky Rice-Again over rated
  • Options
    @dubbat138,

Would I need a library card? I used to have one but never used it.
  • Options
    @Mr_Cosmic,

Thank you! I've been trying to find a website but never could. They have a wide selection of Marvel comics.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    GiannaD11 said:

@dubbat138,

Well, yeah, you would, but it doesn't cost anything but a couple minutes of your time to get a library card. My local library has three shelving units full of graphic novels and trade collections. About a third of it is manga, but there's a wide selection to choose from, so it’s definitely worth your while to check out what your library has to offer.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

GiannaD11 said:

@dubbat138,

Well, yeah, you would, but it doesn't cost anything but a couple minutes of your time to get a library card. My local library has three shelving units full of graphic novels and trade collections. About a third of it is manga, but there's a wide selection to choose from, so it’s definitely worth your while to check out what your library has to offer.
    Yeah Neal is right you will need a library card. Now my local library charges a one time fee of a buck for a card. But it is worth it. And with Inter-library loan I was amazed at all the trades and hardcovers I had access too.
  • Options
    Well, if you just want to browse through them and read them there, you don't need a card. If you want to take them home, you do.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited March 2013
    dubbat138 said:

GiannaD11 said:

@dubbat138,

Read, enjoy, repeat!

Matthew