Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Walking Dead Vol 1 and 2.

I just ordered those graphic novels on Amazon. I really love the show so I'd give the comics a try. I'd like to know if those books were good or not. I looked at a preview and so far I liked it.

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Walking Dead is one of the few modern comics I bother reading. But then I am a huge fan of the horror genre.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Totally dig them and neither horror nor B+W has ever really appealed to me. It helped though in my case that I made my way to the books through the TV show. If you like the show youll like the books. If you like zombie/horror/grim/human struggle stuff youll like the books.
  • Options
    They do what so few comics do that that's make you feel for the chars in the book. If you like the show,chances are you will love the books. Just know that they are a lot different in terms of who's in/on and how the events unravel.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    The first 48 issues are a MEGA HIGH & after that it is 12 issues of build up & 6 issues of pay off. The cycle is repeated many times post issue 48 but it does payoff just not always the way you expect it to. One more thing, the comic universes & tv show universes take different paths using the same characters & w/ the tv show more characters are introduced than the comic. Happy reading!

Matthew
  • Options
    GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    Thanks everyone. I love all your support.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Only the first two?!?! What's wrong with you, man?!

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    @Fredzilla,

Well, I have to pay for things with my own money. I'm kinda broke. I'm also new to comics.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    GiannaD11 said:

@Fredzilla,

Well, I have to pay for things with my own money. I'm kinda broke. I'm also new to comics.

I was just kidding. :D I know how funds go. I was able to read all of the trades through the library. May I suggest going that route before you finish the first two trades? You'll probably burn right through them and will need a fix soon. If you're interested in collecting the series, you can always do that later. The library is a great place to find graphic novels and trades. If your local library doesn't have any, ask if you can get them from inter-library loan (shipping it from another library). I believe most city/county libraries have such a service.

Make sure you come back and tell us what you think!
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    mguy1977 said:

The first 48 issues are a MEGA HIGH & after that it is 12 issues of build up & 6 issues of pay off. The cycle is repeated many times post issue 48 but it does payoff just not always the way you expect it to. One more thing, the comic universes & tv show universes take different paths using the same characters & w/ the tv show more characters are introduced than the comic. Happy reading!

Matthew

The 48 issue "Compendiums" are among the best bargains you can find in comics today. It's about $35 on Amazon for 48 terrific issues. The second 48 is well worth the purchase, as well.

Personally, I really like the 12 issue oversized HC's. Just a nice presentation and you get the covers in color, as well.

e
    L nny

• Options
    @Fredzilla,

Haha thanks. I'll have to see if I could go to the library. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited March 2013
    I read The Walking Dead also in 12 HC chunks & get my fix once a year around Halloween. I get a few series in library parish (Louisiana's word for county) loan system & I have 30 days to read them.

Matthew
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    mguy1977 said:

I read The Walking Dead also in 12 HC chunks & get my fix once a year around Halloween. I get a few series in library parish (Louisiana's word for county) loan system & I have 30 days to read them.

Matthew

I used to read it only in the 12 issue HC's, but it got too frustrating to wait a year! Now I buy them monthly, and sell them on eBay in groups of 6 to correspond w/the TPBs. Nowadays w/the success of the TV show, I get more than enough from those sales to buy the corresponding 12 issue HC, w/a bit of profit left over.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    When I said, "1 and 2." I actually meant 1, 2, and 3. I apparently though that I ordered two but instead I ordered all 3.