Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What Kind of Comics Should I Get?

I'm a comic newbie and am currently picking out some comics off of http://www.fearlessreadersonline.com. Mr_Cosmic suggested this site to check out some comics. I'm a HUGE Marvel fan and really am looking for Marvel comics. I so far have these comics in my chart:

A+X (Marvel 2012) Issue #1
Adventures of the X-Men, The (Marvel 1996) Issue #1
Adventures of the X-Men, The (Marvel 1996) Issue #2
Adventures of the X-Men, The (Marvel 1996) Issue #3
All Flash (D.C. 2007) Issue #1 Quantity in Cart: Price $1.00
Amazing Spider-Man Presents American Son (Marvel 2010) Issue #1
Amazing Spider-Man Presents American Son (Marvel 2010) Issue #2
Flashpoint Deathstroke (D.C. 2011) Issue #1 Quantity in Cart:
Uncanny X-Men (Marvel 2012) Issue #2

As you can see I like X-Men comics. I need some suggestions for some comics on this website. You can probably tell that this site actually only has older comics. The latest year I've seen was 2011.

Comments

• Options
    I would go for a bunch of mini series. That way I get a full story without having to leave myself hanging.

Ragman from DC Comics (at least the one they have) is great. But I'm biased because of the Ragman blog I run. lol

Firestar from Marvel is another great one.

All Star Squadron is another great one from DC. Murd and many others would agree (though that one is an ongoing.)

Ambush Bug is great for some laughs.

Hawkworld is also good.

Time Masters is unique and pretty fun. (NOT Vanishing Point. Just the 80's mini)
  • Options
    GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    @CageNarleigh,

Oh, I understand what you mean. I hate reading a book's sequel but never reading the book made before it. It makes me feel guilty for some odd reason. I'll check those books out. They seem really good.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I'd pick up the first two X-Men essentials. It gives you the start of the "New X-Men" by Claremont, Cockrum and Byrne. It's a bit dated and the prose if very purple and very dense, but it gives you the set up for just about everything the X-Men do. Then, I'd read the Grant Morrison X-Men run they've reprinted it in a number of trades) as it sets the stage for the X-Men as they are configured now.

And, they are AWESOME.
  • Options
    @SolitaireRose,

Thank you. I love the X-men.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    GiannaD11 said:

@SolitaireRose,

The first 6 volumes of Essential X-men are great. IMO right after the Mutant Massacre is when the series went downhill fast. By the Fall of the Mutants crossover it was really bad. And I found myself buying the series out of habit.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    dubbat138 said:

GiannaD11 said:

@SolitaireRose,

The first 6 volumes of Essential X-men are great. IMO right after the Mutant Massacre is when the series went downhill fast. By the Fall of the Mutants crossover it was really bad. And I found myself buying the series out of habit.
    Boy, do I ever agree with that! I stuck with it until Inferno, at which time I decided I'd had enough and stopped buying the mutant titles. Except for the big crossovers, I haven't bought another X-book since, with the exceptions of the original Age Of Apocalypse epic and the Grant Morrison run.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

GiannaD11 said:

@SolitaireRose,

Boy, do I ever agree with that! I stuck with it until Inferno, at which time I decided I'd had enough and stopped buying the mutant titles. Except for the big crossovers, I haven't bought another X-book since, with the exceptions of the original Age Of Apocalypse epic and the Grant Morrison run.

I kept reading Uncanny X-men until issue 300. My subscription ended with that issue and outside of getting a random issue in a random lot of comics off Ebay I haven't read an X-men comic since then. I found that I enjoyed Excalibur way more than any other X-title from that era.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    @GiannaD11

Glad you are finding some books to read. I see some people are suggesting Essentials, and they are a cheap way to read a lot of stories, but they are in black and white. I just wanted to point that out as you might not be aware.
  • Options
    @Mr_Cosmic,'

Ok thanks. I sometimes prefer black and white but it depends on my mood and such.
  • Options
    GiannaD11 said:

@Mr_Cosmic,'

Ok thanks. I sometimes prefer black and white but it depends on my mood and such.

See being partially color blind I prefer b/w artwork. And at the price point the Essentials and Showcases are a great deal. I know sometimes at cons I have seen Essentials for $5.
  • Options
    As an artist, I appreciate the b&w Showcase and Essential collections because they show the uncluttered linework of the artists. You'd be surprised how much gets lost once the color goes on.
  • Options
    Sometimes it's hard for me to tell what's going on in a comic. I actually read a digital comic which was a Fantastic Four comic. It's was a free issue 1 on Comixology. Half of the time I couldn't tell what was happening in the art work. I actually ordered 3 volumes of the Walking Dead which is in b/w. I read the first page of the book on amazon and it was helpful that it was in b/w since sometimes it's hard to translate the action. I can understand where you're coming from. I'll try a Essential book out. I'll add up the prices then order some. Thanks for the information!
  • Options
    About the essential books....

I looked up some Spiderman ones. The thing is there's volumes. Should I go with my spider senses and choose number one?
  • Options
    GiannaD11 said:

I looked up some Spiderman ones. The thing is there's volumes. Should I go with my spider senses and choose number one?

It's always good to start at the beginning.
  • Options
    GiannaD11 said:

Yeah get the first volume. That volume is full of amazing Steve Ditko artwork.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    GiannaD11 said:

Start with 1 and 2. They are dated, but it sets up the Spider-Man universe, gives the origins of all major villains and sets the table for everything that comes after.

Then jump to a later volume so you can get the feel of Spidey in the 80's.

• Options
    Ok that's what I thought. Oh by the way today I'm hoping to get my 3 volumes of the walking dead graphic novels. It's going to be my first graphic novel ever.